Old 27-03-2009, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Greenhouse query

We have bought a greenhouse in Castorama and I have a huge manuel to
read before I can start to erect it. One problem, it is all in
French. My French is vastly improved but not to that extent as I
suspect I shall have trouble even if it is in English. It's a
Silverline EZ, (Palram), an American make. I have phoned the
suppliers, the retailers, I have Googled for instructions in English;
all to no avail. I am going to put this up myself, I can understand
where it says it will take about 8 hours but I suspect the nitty
gritty small print in French will do me in, can anyone advise, please?

Judith
Old 27-03-2009, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote:
We have bought a greenhouse in Castorama and I have a huge manuel to
read before I can start to erect it. One problem, it is all in
French. My French is vastly improved but not to that extent as I
suspect I shall have trouble even if it is in English. It's a
Silverline EZ, (Palram), an American make. I have phoned the
suppliers, the retailers, I have Googled for instructions in English;
all to no avail. I am going to put this up myself, I can understand
where it says it will take about 8 hours but I suspect the nitty
gritty small print in French will do me in, can anyone advise, please?

Judith

Sure that isn't 8 hous per day for a week?
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 27-03-2009, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
We have bought a greenhouse in Castorama and I have a huge manuel to
read before I can start to erect it. One problem, it is all in
French. My French is vastly improved but not to that extent as I
suspect I shall have trouble even if it is in English. It's a
Silverline EZ, (Palram), an American make. I have phoned the
suppliers, the retailers, I have Googled for instructions in English;
all to no avail. I am going to put this up myself, I can understand
where it says it will take about 8 hours but I suspect the nitty
gritty small print in French will do me in, can anyone advise, please?

Greenhouses aren't rocket surgery and anyone reasonably DIY oriented should
be able to sort it [1] I would lay out the bits in groups according to how
many of each part you have. All the bits which are 8' long, assuming that
it's an 8' X 6' greenhouse will obviously run lengthwise. You will probably
have 1 piece on it's own, that will be the ridge piece. Then 2 each of the
section which joins the sides to the roof (hip), and 2 of the section which
forms the bottom rail. There will also be 2 pieces of this section at 6'
long which then give you your base rectangle. Then sort out which bits are
the right length for what function. Be prepared to backtrack a few times
when you find you've used the right section, but the wrong length, stuff
like that. Laying out for instance an end on the ground will let you sort
out the relationships before fixing it together.

Anyone who played with Meccano as a child [2], [3] will probably be pleased
to help, especially if there's a glass of vin in it for them.

HTH,
Steve

[1] Of course I don't know whether you have anyone available in this
category.
[2] Me, but I'm not coming over there to do it.
[3] Did/do the French have Meccano?

Old 27-03-2009, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 27, 7:21*pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
We have bought a greenhouse in Castorama and I have a huge manuel to
read before I can start to erect it. *One problem, it is all in
French. *My French is vastly improved but not to that extent as I
suspect I shall have trouble even if it is in English. *It's a
Silverline EZ, (Palram), an American make. *I have phoned the
suppliers, the retailers, I have Googled for instructions in English;
all to no avail. *I am going to put this up myself, I can understand
where it says it will take about 8 hours but I suspect the nitty
gritty small print in French will do me in, can anyone advise, please?

Judith

Sure that isn't 8 hous per day for a week?
--
Pete C
London UK

In my case Pete, probably :-)

Judith
Old 28-03-2009, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote:
On Mar 27, 7:21 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
We have bought a greenhouse in Castorama and I have a huge manuel to
read before I can start to erect it. One problem, it is all in
French. My French is vastly improved but not to that extent as I
suspect I shall have trouble even if it is in English. It's a
Silverline EZ, (Palram), an American make. I have phoned the
suppliers, the retailers, I have Googled for instructions in English;
all to no avail. I am going to put this up myself, I can understand
where it says it will take about 8 hours but I suspect the nitty
gritty small print in French will do me in, can anyone advise, please?
Judith

Sure that isn't 8 hous per day for a week?
--
Pete C
London UK

In my case Pete, probably :-)

Judith

Perhaps him in doors could help Judith, he speaks fluent French I
believe. btw when you have finished reading Manuel perhaps you could
tell us the plot. grin
Just jestin'

Bobbie
Old 28-03-2009, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 19:52:46 -0000, "shazzbat"
wrote:

"Judith in France" wrote in message
We have bought a greenhouse in Castorama and I have a huge manuel to
read before I can start to erect it. One problem, it is all in
French. My French is vastly improved but not to that extent as I
suspect I shall have trouble even if it is in English. It's a
Silverline EZ, (Palram), an American make. I have phoned the
suppliers, the retailers, I have Googled for instructions in English;
all to no avail. I am going to put this up myself, I can understand
where it says it will take about 8 hours but I suspect the nitty
gritty small print in French will do me in, can anyone advise, please?

Greenhouses aren't rocket surgery and anyone reasonably DIY oriented should
be able to sort it

snip

And absolutely key - make sure that all joins are "square" when they
are supposed to be.

Even go to the lengths of working out the internal hypotenuse
(Pythagoras) and then cut a string to that length to make sure both
diags lengths are exactly same. This may seem over the top - but I
think it makes all the difference!!

Old 28-03-2009, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Judith, all advice gratefully received.

Judith
Old 28-03-2009, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 28, 9:52*am, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article 570ce6e6-54e6-496f-b2bd-
,
says...

On Mar 27, 7:21*pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
We have bought a greenhouse in Castorama and I have a huge manuel to
read before I can start to erect it. *One problem, it is all in
French. *My French is vastly improved but not to that extent as I
suspect I shall have trouble even if it is in English. *It's a
Silverline EZ, (Palram), an American make. *I have phoned the
suppliers, the retailers, I have Googled for instructions in English;
all to no avail. *I am going to put this up myself, I can understand
where it says it will take about 8 hours but I suspect the nitty
gritty small print in French will do me in, can anyone advise, please?

Judith

Sure that isn't 8 hous per day for a week?
--
Pete C
London UK

In my case Pete, probably :-)

Judith

Is the method of construction the usual square headed bolts slide into a
channel? and how big is it?
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

It is not the same as our Halls greenhouse which we had in England.
There are square headed bolts and hexagonal ones too. I am going to
construct the door first, to give me a feel for things, then prepare
the window and hopefully from there I will be able to get to grips
with the rest. I took the instructions to my neighbour and asked for
translation of a few words I hadn't heard of and Edward said they were
not in context with the translation! She has explained, in layman's
terms what I needed to know. I hope to begin on Monday, tomorrow I
have to protect a new mezzanine staircase against the dreaded
Capricorne, so it will be a mask on, eye protectors job.

Judith
Old 29-03-2009, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote:
judithsmwrote:

And absolutely key - make sure that all joins are "square" when they
are supposed to be.
Even go to the lengths of working out the internal hypotenuse
(Pythagoras) and then cut a string to that length to make sure both
diags lengths are exactly same. This may seem over the top - but I
think it makes all the difference!!

Thanks Judith, all advice gratefully received.

Another vote here for make sure all right angles are 90°. Didn't at
first "89-91 will do", couldn't get the glass in
properly (didn't fancy bashing the glass in till it fitted) so rebuilt
with 90° right angles and everything fitted

Old 29-03-2009, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 29, 8:31*pm, soup wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
judithsmwrote:
And absolutely key - make sure that all joins are "square" when they
are supposed to be.
Even go to the lengths of working out the internal hypotenuse
(Pythagoras) and then cut a string to that length to make sure both
diags lengths are exactly same. *This may seem over the top - but I
think it makes all the difference!!

Thanks Judith, all advice gratefully received.

Another vote here for make sure all right angles are 90°. *Didn't at
first "89-91 will do", couldn't get the glass in
properly (didn't fancy bashing the glass in till it fitted) so rebuilt
with 90° right angles and everything fitted

You don't live nearby do you? :-)

Judith
Old 29-03-2009, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

shazzbat wrote:

[3] Did/do the French have Meccano?

Not only do they have it they make it, in Calais (it's also made in China) .
/05/2001MECCANO S.N.363/
/avenue de Saint Exuperyg/
/F 62100 Calais/

Hasn't been Hornby for years

http://www.meccano.com/about/index.php
Old 29-03-2009, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote:

You don't live nearby do you? :-)

Nope sorry.
Tempting as all those dinners sound, I can't really see me travelling
from Jockland to France. :-)
Old 29-03-2009, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

" Judith in France wrote:

You don't live nearby do you? :-)

Right everybody off to Judiths to help via Sacha for a cream tea :-)))

Greenhouse query Judith in France United Kingdom 0 27-03-2009 08:48 PM
Greenhouse tomato query Bertie Doe United Kingdom 7 12-07-2008 11:17 AM
another phal query rick Orchids 1 23-03-2003 04:08 AM
B & D lubrication query Flynn United Kingdom 0 22-03-2003 05:44 PM
Phytatray query rick Orchids 0 25-01-2003 05:34 PM