Old 05-04-2009, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Copper Sulphate

Has anyone used Copper sulphate for anything in and around the garden?
David Hill
Old 05-04-2009, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 5, 1:25*pm, Dave Hill wrote:
Has anyone used Copper sulphate for anything in and around the garden?
David Hill

No but it is part of "Bordeaux mixture" which is an anti-fungicide to
prevent e.g. spud blight.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bordeaux_mixture
It is a mixture of copper sulphate and lime which probably makes it
more or less organic or maybe an organic gardening grey area.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 5, 1:25*pm, Dave Hill wrote:
Has anyone used Copper sulphate for anything in and around the garden?
David Hill

My husband does in the veggie garden, when he comes in, I will ask him
what for exactly.

Judith
Old 05-04-2009, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote ...
Has anyone used Copper sulphate for anything in and around the garden?

Yes, we use Bordeaux Mixture to protect the Toms from blight.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 05-04-2009, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 05:25:38 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

Has anyone used Copper sulphate for anything in and around the garden?
David Hill

Years ago I used a very dilute solutions to kill those little slugs. I
later realised it also kills worms so I haven't use it since.

Steve

Old 05-04-2009, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 5, 2:05*pm, Judith in France
wrote:
On Apr 5, 1:25*pm, Dave Hill wrote:

Has anyone used Copper sulphate for anything in and around the garden?
David Hill

My husband does in the veggie garden, when he comes in, I will ask him
what for exactly.

Judith

My husband says that in the 19th Century in the UK, it was used for
anti potato blight It was first noticed in Wales; that below a copper
producing factory, none of the potatoes were diseased. Later on it
was exported to Ireland where the Irish thought the British were
trying to poison them! In fact copper salts are extremely effective
in very low concentrations against mildews. It was used extensive in
France even before that to prevent mildew on vines.

We use it as an anti fungal on tomatoes and potatoes.

Judith
Old 05-04-2009, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Dave Hill contains these words:

Has anyone used Copper sulphate for anything in and around the garden?

All the time - well, regularly, anyway.

Why?

--
Rusty
Old 06-04-2009, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 15:40:21 GMT, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:

The message

from Dave Hill contains these words:

Has anyone used Copper sulphate for anything in and around the garden?

All the time - well, regularly, anyway.

Why?

I guess a sensible person would have said what they use it for.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 05:35:07 -0700 (PDT), Des Higgins
wrote:

On Apr 5, 1:25*pm, Dave Hill wrote:
Has anyone used Copper sulphate for anything in and around the garden?
David Hill

No but it is part of "Bordeaux mixture" which is an anti-fungicide to
prevent e.g. spud blight.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bordeaux_mixture
It is a mixture of copper sulphate and lime which probably makes it
more or less organic or maybe an organic gardening grey area.

it's also part of Cheshunt Compound - I assume that is what gives the
mixture the blue colour.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hill View Post
Has anyone used Copper sulphate for anything in and around the garden?
David Hill
Cheshunt Compound is another anti-fungal, made of copper sulphate and ammonium carbonate. Particularly used against damping off of seedlings. I used it this year and lost nothing to damping off. But I did have some non-germination, which I wonder might have been due to overusing it.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:

BCPC Highlights Confusion over EU Approvals of “Organic”
Pesticides 2009-03-31

“Surprising
in ‘organic’ production,” says BCPC’s Chairman, Dr Colin
Ruscoe. “And about 50%
(91/414 Annex 1 listing).”

in “organic” production – without
– simply
“traditional” or “natural” products
“organic”

“European Food Standards Agency (EFSA)
compounds – risks
prevented approval,” explains Dr Ruscoe.

“The Commission’s rationale
‘organic’ production these ‘traditional’ pesticides
available?” adds Dr Ruscoe. “There
‘organic’ production,
whether ‘organic’ or conventional.”

“Despite Commission’s
The Commission’s the new ‘cut-off’
criteria,” warns Dr Ruscoe.

What on earth is your newsreader doing to your text?

--
Rusty
Old 06-04-2009, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...
The message
from Martin contains these words:

BCPC Highlights Confusion over EU Approvals of ?oOrganic?
Pesticides 2009-03-31

?oSurprising
in ?~organic?T production,? says BCPC?Ts Chairman, Dr Colin
Ruscoe. ?oAnd about 50%
(91/414 Annex 1 listing).?

in ?oorganic? production ?" without
?" simply
?otraditional? or ?onatural? products
?oorganic?

?oEuropean Food Standards Agency (EFSA)
compounds ?" risks
prevented approval,? explains Dr Ruscoe.

?oThe Commission?Ts rationale
?~organic?T production these ?~traditional?T pesticides
available?? adds Dr Ruscoe. ?oThere
?~organic?T production,
whether ?~organic?T or conventional.?

?oDespite Commission?Ts
The Commission?Ts the new ?~cut-off?T
criteria,? warns Dr Ruscoe.

What on earth is your newsreader doing to your text?

--
Rusty

It was fine in mine, yours must be programmed to Double Dutch.....

Old 06-04-2009, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from Martin contains these words:

What on earth is your newsreader doing to your text?

Perhaps the same wierd thing that happened to mine when I first arrived

Old 06-04-2009, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sheila wrote:
[...]

Gosh! Mine too then!!

Old 06-04-2009, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 18:39:07 GMT, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:

What on earth is your newsreader doing to your text?

It's doing nothing. I think your reader through a wobbly.

Steve

[IBC] ammonium sulphate Michael Persiano Bonsai 17 02-09-2005 02:35 PM
ammonium sulphate Theo Bonsai 14 13-01-2005 09:47 PM
ammonium sulphate Theo Bonsai 0 13-01-2005 11:00 AM
sulphate xtr396472 Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 29-02-2004 06:59 PM
Copper sulphate Ray United Kingdom 1 02-03-2003 07:06 PM