Old 06-04-2009, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Copper Sulphate

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 18:39:07 GMT, Rusty_Hinge

wrote:
The message
from Martin contains these words:

BCPC Highlights Confusion over EU Approvals of “Organic�
Pesticides 2009-03-31

“Surprising
in ‘organic’ production,� says BCPC’s
Chairman, Dr Colin
Ruscoe. “And about 50%
(91/414 Annex 1 listing).�

in “organic� production – without
– simply
“traditional� or “natural� products
“organic�

“European Food Standards Agency (EFSA)
compounds – risks
prevented approval,� explains Dr Ruscoe.

“The Commission’s rationale
‘organic’ production these ‘traditional’
pesticides
available?� adds Dr Ruscoe. “There
‘organic’ production,
whether ‘organic’ or conventional.�

“Despite Commission’s
The Commission’s the new ‘cut-off’
criteria,� warns Dr Ruscoe.

What on earth is your newsreader doing to your text?

I'd guess the problem is with your news reader.

It's the charset you're using.

--
Rusty
Old 07-04-2009, 12:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I think it is a combination of the original document - which was a cut
and paste and it has unusual/non-standard characters in it - together
with your reader.

Some readers can cope - others can't.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Judith Smith contains these words:

I think it is a combination of the original document - which was a cut
and paste and it has unusual/non-standard characters in it - together
with your reader.

Some readers can cope - others can't.

Mine can cope with anything generated properly.

--
Rusty
Old 07-04-2009, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 09:30:00 GMT, Rusty_Hinge

wrote:
The message
from Judith Smith contains these words:

I think it is a combination of the original document - which was a cut
and paste and it has unusual/non-standard characters in it - together
with your reader.

Some readers can cope - others can't.

Mine can cope with anything generated properly.

You have the wrong settings in your news reader.

I have no settings in my newsreader. It just works - with other
compliant newsreaders.

--
Rusty
Old 07-04-2009, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

I'm using Zimacs like you but not seeing the effect you do,
maybe you're using a beta version? Mine is 2.22.

Yes, I'm using the latest beta - and it should cope with more formats
than 2.22 innit.

--
Rusty

Old 07-04-2009, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:

I'm posting to Usenet using
Western with Euro - (latin1, Western Europe, ascii, iso-8859-1, iso-8859-15,
utf8)
Usenet Text 7/8 bit

Unfortunately, our developer is incommunicado ATM...

--
Rusty
Old 07-04-2009, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 16:01:44 GMT, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

I'm using Zimacs like you but not seeing the effect you do,
maybe you're using a beta version? Mine is 2.22.

Yes, I'm using the latest beta - and it should cope with more formats
than 2.22 innit.

That's what beta copies are all about. You have found a bug.

Steve

Old 07-04-2009, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Stephen Wolstenholme contains these words:
wrote:
The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

I'm using Zimacs like you but not seeing the effect you do,
maybe you're using a beta version? Mine is 2.22.

Yes, I'm using the latest beta - and it should cope with more formats
than 2.22 innit.

That's what beta copies are all about. You have found a bug.

And there's more to fixing any bugs than you could possibly dream of, ATM...

I might have to learn VB.NET

--
Rusty
Old 08-04-2009, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

I'm using Zimacs like you but not seeing the effect you do,
maybe you're using a beta version? Mine is 2.22.

Yes, I'm using the latest beta - and it should cope with more formats
than 2.22 innit.

That's what beta copies are all about. You have found a bug.

And there's more to fixing any bugs than you could possibly dream of, ATM...

After nearly 40 years fixing bugs I have done my share of dreaming.

I might have to learn VB.NET

I can't imagine any use for such a language - I'll stick to C++

Steve

Old 08-04-2009, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:

What do you see if you look at the article on the website?
http://www.stackyard.com/news/2009/0...esticides.html

You can't look at it in ZIMACS unless it's copied and pasted and posted.

--
Rusty

Old 08-04-2009, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Stephen Wolstenholme contains these words:

And there's more to fixing any bugs than you could possibly dream of,
ATM...

After nearly 40 years fixing bugs I have done my share of dreaming.

The operative phrase is 'ATM'

I might have to learn VB.NET

I can't imagine any use for such a language - I'll stick to C++

Maybe not, but since the beta ZIMACS is written if VB.NET, it would seem
a sensible use for it.

--
Rusty
Old 08-04-2009, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:

“Surprising though it may seem, there are over 25 chemical pesticides
being used in ‘organic’ production,” says BCPC’s Chairman, Dr Colin
Ruscoe. “And about 50% of these have now failed to gain EU approval
(91/414 Annex 1 listing).”

Does that suggest that your news reader is using the wrong character set?

No, but it suggests that yours is...

Old 08-04-2009, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:

The cut and pasted text uses multiple characters for the characters "
' etc.
Your version of Zimacs has multiple characters turned off. If Zimacs
is similar
to Emacs, this is configurable.

It isn't configurable.

--
Rusty
Old 08-04-2009, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 8 Apr 2009 13:32:40 GMT, Paul Kett wrote:
The message
from Martin contains these words:

“Surprising though it may seem, there are over 25 chemical
pesticides
being used in ‘organic’ production,� says
BCPC’s Chairman, Dr Colin
Ruscoe. “And about 50% of these have now failed to gain EU
approval
(91/414 Annex 1 listing).�

Does that suggest that your news reader is using the wrong character set?

No, but it suggests that yours is...

It suggests that the beta version being used by Rusty and Janet can't
cope with
multiple characters.

Copes with most other posts. It isn't configurable by user.

At present.

--
Rusty
Old 09-04-2009, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
Martin wrote:

I'm using Zimacs like you but not seeing the effect you do,
maybe you're using a beta version? Mine is 2.22.
I'm seeing the same as Rusty, and I'm using 2.22 also...

It displays correctly with both Thunderbird 2.0.0.21and Forte Agent 5.

What do you see if you look at the article on the website?
http://www.stackyard.com/news/2009/0...esticides.html

A perfectly ordinary article. Nothing untoward...

It starts: "Surprising though it may seem, there are over 25 chemical
pesticides being used in organic production, says BCPCs Chairman,
Dr Colin Ruscoe. And about 50% of these have now failed to gain EU
approval (91/414 Annex 1 listing). "

Ah, it reproduced slightly differently!

The website is using top bit set single byte characters which may or may
not propagate on Western Usenet streams (these days they usually do).

Look carefully and you will see that the slope is \ on the leading and /
on the trailing edge. They are escaped in the HTML source code as
&lsquo, &rsquo &ldquo etc.

“Surprising though it may seem, there are over 25 chemical
pesticides being used in ‘organic’ production,” says
BCPC’s Chairman, Dr Colin Ruscoe.

Most clients should be able to display this text unmolested by using the
right font and/or configuration of the treatment of high bit set and
double byte characters.

Regards,
Martin Brown

[IBC] ammonium sulphate Michael Persiano Bonsai 17 02-09-2005 02:35 PM
ammonium sulphate Theo Bonsai 14 13-01-2005 09:47 PM
ammonium sulphate Theo Bonsai 0 13-01-2005 11:00 AM
sulphate xtr396472 Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 29-02-2004 06:59 PM
Copper sulphate Ray United Kingdom 1 02-03-2003 07:06 PM