Old 10-04-2009, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hose pipe question

I have a hosepipe. I have a tap in my garden.

Tap is like this: but it is NOT threaded
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thum...garden_tap.jpg

Therefore I bought one of these to attach to the tap. It fits the tap
perfectly
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detai...

I then attached one of these to the hose tap end
http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servle...

When I connect them 2 bits together they fit together but water leaks out
between them... am i I doing it right?

I spose even if I had a threaded tap I would use one of these connectors,
but I would still get a leak because they conenct in the same way??

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detai...

--
On the other end of the hose I have another one of the things above attached
to one end of the hose and a spray gun (both of those are the cheap Homebase

Old 10-04-2009, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

Tap is like this: but it is NOT threadedhttp://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/251749/2/istockphot...

Therefore I bought one of these to attach to the tap. It fits the tap
perfectlyhttp://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detai...

I then attached one of these to the hose tap endhttp://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servle...

When I connect them 2 bits together they fit together but water leaks out
between them... am i I doing it right?

I spose even if I had a threaded tap I would use one of these connectors,
but I would still get a leak because they conenct in the same way??

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detai...

--
On the other end of the hose I have another one of the things above attached
to one end of the hose and a spray gun (both of those are the cheap Homebase
ones and work fine).

As your links dont work for me, I am adding this one to show the type
of conector you need for an unthreaded tap.
http://www.toolspot.co.uk/product/ju...-tap-connector
This type worked for years for me with very little trouble, just dont
turn the tap on to full as the back pressure WILL blow the hose off
the tap.
David Hill
Old 10-04-2009, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message

As your links dont work for me, I am adding this one to show the type
of conector you need for an unthreaded tap.
http://www.toolspot.co.uk/product/ju...-tap-connector
This type worked for years for me with very little trouble, just dont
turn the tap on to full as the back pressure WILL blow the hose off
the tap.
David Hill

I have one of those connected to the tap

As it suggest I have a /quick connector' on tn the other end of the tap -
that is where the peak is - where the 2 join together

I will try what it suggests in that article, connecting the actual pipe to
the end of one of those and securing with a clip

Old 11-04-2009, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mo" wrote in message

"Dave Hill" wrote in message

As your links dont work for me, I am adding this one to show the type
of conector you need for an unthreaded tap.
http://www.toolspot.co.uk/product/ju...-tap-connector
This type worked for years for me with very little trouble, just dont
turn the tap on to full as the back pressure WILL blow the hose off
the tap.
David Hill

I have one of those connected to the tap

As it suggest I have a /quick connector' on tn the other end of the tap -
that is where the peak is - where the 2 join together

I will try what it suggests in that article, connecting the actual pipe to
the end of one of those and securing with a clip

Sometimes i think the best solution would be to replace the tap with a
threaded one!
I had an unthreaded tap in the garage that also serves the front garden, it
was a pain until i finally replaced it, whih isnt a major exercise.

John

Old 11-04-2009, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 10 Apr, 23:15, "mo" wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

As your links dont work for me, I am adding this one to show the type
of conector you need for an unthreaded tap.
http://www.toolspot.co.uk/product/ju...-tap-connector
This type worked for years for me with very little trouble, just dont
turn the tap on to full as the back pressure WILL blow the hose off
the tap.
David Hill

I have one of those connected to the tap

As it suggest I have a /quick connector' on tn the other end of the tap -
that is where the peak is - where the 2 join together

I will try what it suggests in that article, connecting the actual pipe to
the end of one of those and securing with a clip

Not all fittings of different makes are compatible with each
other,best to use the same make.
David Hill

Old 11-04-2009, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
Dave Hill writes

As your links dont work for me,

Nor me!

I am adding this one to show the type
of conector you need for an unthreaded tap.
http://www.toolspot.co.uk/product/ju...-tap-connector
This type worked for years for me with very little trouble, just dont
turn the tap on to full as the back pressure WILL blow the hose off
the tap.
David Hill

Thanks for that! I have used one for about 30 years and have found
it the only type which stays on the tap!

Now I know where I can get a replacement.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 11-04-2009, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , mo
writes

"Dave Hill" wrote in message

As your links dont work for me, I am adding this one to show the type
of conector you need for an unthreaded tap.
http://www.toolspot.co.uk/product/ju...-tap-connector
This type worked for years for me with very little trouble, just dont
turn the tap on to full as the back pressure WILL blow the hose off
the tap.
David Hill

I have one of those connected to the tap

As it suggest I have a /quick connector' on tn the other end of the tap
- that is where the peak is - where the 2 join together

I will try what it suggests in that article, connecting the actual pipe
to the end of one of those and securing with a clip

I use Hozelock plug-in connectors and get no leaks.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply