Old 13-04-2009, 01:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Killing Grass

The message
from Stewart Robert Hinsley contains these words:

Once it hits the soil it is chemically changed, and harmless to plants.

One it hits the soil it gets bound to soil particles, and pretty mich
inaccessible to plants. It is broken down over time by bacteria, but the
half-life varies with soil-type. (A range of 1 to 174 days can be found
on the web.)

What is 'bound' if not a chemical reaction?

--
Rusty
Old 13-04-2009, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 21:35:02 +0100, "Spider"
wrote:

I'd generally agree with that, but I confess I've heard rumblings in the
undergrowth that, perhaps, glyphosate is not quite as safe as once
thought.

http://asgap.org.au/APOL20/dec00-3.html

You'd have thought that 9 years on something more definitive would be known
if there was something to find.

I still use it, though, and hope it will not be withdrawn. I hope
you're a brilliant scientist :~) and can confirm it is still safe to use.

So long as you claim to be a commercial organic farmer you can use almost
anything at the discretion of the national government. Conventional
farmers will be far more limited in what they can use. A few years of
that and I can imagine that conventional farmed food being safer.

But in the next stage, the EU will ban all insecticides, fungicides, and
herbicides. After a few years we will all have starved to death (is that
better than dying of an obesity epidemic?) or will be in thrall to the US
who will be supplying us with food. That food will, of course, contain a
vast number of chemicals as that will be the only way it will be possible to
produce a crop large enough to feed us. There's a certain irony there...

--
Jeff

Old 13-04-2009, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mo wrote:
Before the winter I started a project in my garden which will see me
digginggup a large amount of lawn, rejigging it all and relaying the lawn

When it was wet it obviously became hard to lift up the turf as it was
soaked with water, now the suummer is coming it will be easier to lift up
the turf hopefully.

I can't get to work for about 6 weeks, in the meantime is there anything I
can put onto the grass to kill it (and any weeds etc in the surrounding
areas) - I basically want the grass to wither away so I can just dig up
the mud.

I need something cheap though as the area is fairly large and I have seen
thep rice of some of those sprays at Homebase!

I think you will find that Bayer glyphosate concentrate is considerably
cheaper than Roundup.

--
Jeff

Old 13-04-2009, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:

wrote:

[...]

To me the irony is that in some EU countries commercial organic farmers
will get a waiver to use 12 chemicals that are banned for use by
conventional farmers.

LoL! When the organic movement appeared I was at first very confused, as to
me "organic" meant chemicals produced by organic synthesis. As far as I was
concerned, chemical insecticides were definitely organic! Then I understood
the error of my ways. Now it seems the organic movement will be allowed to
use certain chemicals, so maybe I was right in the first place. ;-)

It's eight or nine years since the Dutch banned most conventional
chemicals, including copper, used in boat antifouling on the basis that
doing this will stimulate the development of alternatives. Of course,
commercial boats are excluded and no alternatives have appeared on the
market.

Why am I not surprised?

--
Jeff

Old 13-04-2009, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 00:27:10 GMT, Rusty_Hinge

wrote:
The message
from Stewart Robert Hinsley contains
these words:

Once it hits the soil it is chemically changed, and harmless to plants.

One it hits the soil it gets bound to soil particles, and pretty mich
inaccessible to plants. It is broken down over time by bacteria, but the
half-life varies with soil-type. (A range of 1 to 174 days can be found
on the web.)

What is 'bound' if not a chemical reaction?

It's what chickens get.

I always called it 'trussed'...

--
Rusty

Old 13-04-2009, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 14:48:34 GMT, Rusty_Hinge

wrote:
The message
from Stewart Robert Hinsley contains
these words:

Once it hits the soil it is chemically changed, and harmless to
plants.

One it hits the soil it gets bound to soil particles, and pretty mich
inaccessible to plants. It is broken down over time by bacteria,
but the
half-life varies with soil-type. (A range of 1 to 174 days can
be found
on the web.)

What is 'bound' if not a chemical reaction?

It's what chickens get.

I always called it 'trussed'...

and not egg bound?

Only in the case of rubber ones.

--
Rusty
Old 14-04-2009, 01:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 16:27:54 GMT, Rusty_Hinge

wrote:

What is 'bound' if not a chemical reaction?

It's what chickens get.

I always called it 'trussed'...

and not egg bound?

Only in the case of rubber ones.

What about pot eggs?

I've never seen pot-eggs bound, have you?

--
Rusty
Old 14-04-2009, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 00:19:05 GMT, Rusty_Hinge

wrote:

What is 'bound' if not a chemical reaction?

It's what chickens get.

I always called it 'trussed'...

and not egg bound?

Only in the case of rubber ones.

What about pot eggs?

I've never seen pot-eggs bound, have you?

Hens have a right to a private life too.

When I was six I became a small smallholder - in that I became the owner
of a pair of khaki campbells -
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/dux.jpg

As they grew up a bit, my ole man checked their nestbox each morning for
eggs, and in his shed I found just the job - a nicely glazed pot-egg,
which I placed in the nest before going to bed. (Double summer time then
IIRC)

In the morning I was delighted to find a pot-egg in an egg-cup in my
place at the breakfast table, and learnt that 'practical jokes' were
good...

--
Rusty
Old 14-04-2009, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 15:27:30 +0100, Rusty_Hinge wrote
(in article ) :

wrote:
The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 14:48:34 GMT, Rusty_Hinge

wrote:

snip

When I was six I became a small smallholder - in that I became the owner
of a pair of khaki campbells -
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/dux.jpg

As they grew up a bit, my ole man checked their nestbox each morning for
eggs, and in his shed I found just the job - a nicely glazed pot-egg,
which I placed in the nest before going to bed. (Double summer time then
IIRC)

In the morning I was delighted to find a pot-egg in an egg-cup in my
place at the breakfast table, and learnt that 'practical jokes' were
good...

That's a lovely photo, Rusty!

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through uk.rec.gardening

Old 14-04-2009, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message et
from Sally Thompson contains these words:

That's a lovely photo, Rusty!

That was the spring of 1946.

Unfortunately, I was unable to do a 'Dorian Grey'...

--
Rusty

Old 14-04-2009, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

On 12/04/09 18:06, Spider wrote:
"mo" wrote in message
Before the winter I started a project in my garden which will see me
digginggup a large amount of lawn, rejigging it all and relaying the lawn

When it was wet it obviously became hard to lift up the turf as it was
soaked with water, now the suummer is coming it will be easier to lift up
the turf hopefully.

I can't get to work for about 6 weeks, in the meantime is there anything I
can put onto the grass to kill it (and any weeds etc in the surrounding
areas) - I basically want the grass to wither away so I can just dig up
the mud.

I need something cheap though as the area is fairly large and I have seen
thep rice of some of those sprays at Homebase!

A glyphosate-based herbicide is the best thing. Be careful, though, because
it will kill *any* plant it touches. If you buy the concentrate, rather
than a ready-to-use spray, it will certainly be cheaper but you will need to
buy a cheap sprayer as well.

Spider

Where can you buy the concentrate? I have only come across ready-made
preparations like Round-Up.

Ed

Old 14-04-2009, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Ed ex@directory contains these words:

Where can you buy the concentrate? I have only come across ready-made
preparations like Round-Up.

Roundup *IS* a concentrate.

--
Rusty

killing grass Allview Gardening 1 17-05-2004 03:02 PM
Killing established St. Augustine grass zxcvar Lawns 0 28-08-2003 02:42 AM
Killing grass under my apple trees WCD Edible Gardening 14 08-07-2003 11:35 PM
Killing Grass Pat Meadows Edible Gardening 2 27-03-2003 10:08 PM
Killing grass JNJ Gardening 4 20-03-2003 02:44 PM