Old 14-04-2009, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Ed Ed is offline

Default Should I Lock My Shed

Got my new shed now on the allotment and am well pleased with it and use
it to store my tools (spade, fork, hoe, rake, etc.) and all the other
small bits and pieces that are essential for gardening work.

But should I lock the shed door with the key when I leave? Or just
leave it unlocked with the wheelbarrow upturned against it?

What do people here usually do?

Ed
Old 14-04-2009, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 17:14:08 +0100, Ed ex@directory wrote:

Got my new shed now on the allotment and am well pleased with it and use
it to store my tools (spade, fork, hoe, rake, etc.) and all the other
small bits and pieces that are essential for gardening work.

But should I lock the shed door with the key when I leave? Or just
leave it unlocked with the wheelbarrow upturned against it?

What do people here usually do?

Ed

I share a shed with a friend who has a metal "locker" inside which he
padlocks. It is an old changing-rooms type locker. Things in the
outer part are of less interest to theives (wellies etc!) than the
tools inside the locker. Previously people came with bolt cutters and
cut through a pretty substantial padlock. It really depends on your
area and the security of your site. We do better now our site has a
strong metal fence round it.

Pam in Bristol
Old 14-04-2009, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Ed ex@directory wrote:

What do people here usually do?

Since you've posted in a couple of groups that are international, it would
help to know where "here" is. Or, are you trying to find places where
people don't lock up their stuff? Or do you live under a bridge, which is
my own dark suspicion.

Old 14-04-2009, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Ed" wrote ...
Got my new shed now on the allotment and am well pleased with it and use
it to store my tools (spade, fork, hoe, rake, etc.) and all the other
small bits and pieces that are essential for gardening work.

But should I lock the shed door with the key when I leave? Or just leave
it unlocked with the wheelbarrow upturned against it?

What do people here usually do?

I won't have a shed on our plot, they are attractants for thieves and
vandals. It worries me that all the new gardeners on our site seem to think
a shed is essential on an allotment, there was only one before, I know we
will get trouble soon.
Personally I would leave it unlocked as otherwise it will get broken/smashed
into and badly damaged (or even be pushed over, seen that too). The tools
may not be worth much but anything is enough.

Our shed is a 1986 Defender van, another "old" gardener has a decent trailer
so nothing, tool wise, is left on the plots.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 14-04-2009, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Ed Ed is offline

On 14/04/09 17:33, Gary Woods wrote:
Ed ex@directory wrote:

What do people here usually do?

Since you've posted in a couple of groups that are international, it would
help to know where "here" is. Or, are you trying to find places where
people don't lock up their stuff? Or do you live under a bridge, which is
my own dark suspicion.

Sorry... I should have said that I live in East Herts in the UK..

Ed

Old 14-04-2009, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Ed ex@directory wrote:

Got my new shed now on the allotment and am well pleased with it and use
it to store my tools (spade, fork, hoe, rake, etc.) and all the other
small bits and pieces that are essential for gardening work.

But should I lock the shed door with the key when I leave? Or just
leave it unlocked with the wheelbarrow upturned against it?

What do people here usually do?

Ed

Locks only keep out honest people.
--

- Billy

Old 14-04-2009, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Ed Ed is offline

On 14/04/09 17:41, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Ed" wrote ...
[...]

I like having the shed . It means I can leave all my tools and stuff
there and I can sit inside if there a bit of rain. So, I can then just
cycle up there on my push bike and not need take the car .

Ed (Herts, UK).

Old 14-04-2009, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

On 14/04/09 17:32, Pam Moore wrote:
[...]

Wow.. Pam, that sounds interesting idea.. a locker in the shed!!

But tell me this.. you have high perimeter fencing about you're
allotment site?

Ed (East Herts, UK)

Old 14-04-2009, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Ed Ed is offline

On 14/04/09 17:54, Billy wrote:
In article ,
Ed ex@directory wrote:

Got my new shed now on the allotment and am well pleased with it and use
it to store my tools (spade, fork, hoe, rake, etc.) and all the other
small bits and pieces that are essential for gardening work.

But should I lock the shed door with the key when I leave? Or just
leave it unlocked with the wheelbarrow upturned against it?

What do people here usually do?

Ed

Locks only keep out honest people.

So what do you do with your shed?

Ed (East Herts, UK)

Old 14-04-2009, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ed wrote:
Got my new shed now on the allotment and am well pleased with it and
use it to store my tools (spade, fork, hoe, rake, etc.) and all the
other small bits and pieces that are essential for gardening work.

But should I lock the shed door with the key when I leave? Or just
leave it unlocked with the wheelbarrow upturned against it?

What do people here usually do?

Ed

There is no proper answer.........depends largely on the level of vandalism
in your area. Ask fellow plotholders about the history of the site. I'll be
putting up a shed on my plot in a couple of weeks, and my intention atm is
not to lock it. Atm, as I clear and dig over the plot, I leave all my tools
in a water barrel with a cover. So far, so good.
As for comments about 'why' a shed........ a pee bucket, chair to have a
break if it rains, a camping stove and kettle for a brew.........all very
nice
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 14-04-2009, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Ed Ed is offline

On 14/04/09 17:54, Billy wrote:
In article ,
Ed ex@directory wrote:

Got my new shed now on the allotment and am well pleased with it and use
it to store my tools (spade, fork, hoe, rake, etc.) and all the other
small bits and pieces that are essential for gardening work.

But should I lock the shed door with the key when I leave? Or just
leave it unlocked with the wheelbarrow upturned against it?

What do people here usually do?

Ed

Locks only keep out honest people.

Or dishonest people that can't be arsed to find an unlocked shed? Do
you have an allotment shed? Do you lock it?

Ed (East Herts, UK)

Old 14-04-2009, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
et...
Got my new shed now on the allotment and am well pleased with it and use
it to store my tools (spade, fork, hoe, rake, etc.) and all the other
small bits and pieces that are essential for gardening work.

But should I lock the shed door with the key when I leave? Or just leave
it unlocked with the wheelbarrow upturned against it?

What do people here usually do?

Ed

Here we lock everything or it quickly disappears.

Old 14-04-2009, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

On 14/04/09 18:13, Pete C wrote:
Ed wrote:
[...]

Agree totally with you as to why have a shed!! Boil a pan of water, pick
some sweet corn cobs, plunge them straight in, cook n eat!! Magic!!

Ed (East Herts, UK)

Old 14-04-2009, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Ed Ed is offline

On 14/04/09 18:17, J.Gillmon Jr. wrote:

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
et...
Got my new shed now on the allotment and am well pleased with it and
use it to store my tools (spade, fork, hoe, rake, etc.) and all the
other small bits and pieces that are essential for gardening work.

But should I lock the shed door with the key when I leave? Or just
leave it unlocked with the wheelbarrow upturned against it?

What do people here usually do?

Ed

Here we lock everything or it quickly disappears.

Where's you then? You got outer security fencing on your plot?

Ed (East Herts, UK)

Old 14-04-2009, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Ed" wrote:

Got my new shed now on the allotment and am well pleased with it and use
it to store my tools (spade, fork, hoe, rake, etc.) and all the other
small bits and pieces that are essential for gardening work.

But should I lock the shed door with the key when I leave? Or just leave
it unlocked with the wheelbarrow upturned against it?

What do people here usually do?

Why don't you keep your wheelbarrow inside your shed, wasn't that the point
of having a shed, why leave it out in the weather... a door latch would be
better anyway, what will keep the wind from ruining your door and shed when
you're out with the barrow? As to a lock, it depends who typically goes on
your property (like delivery people), the size of your property, how far the
shed is from the road and neighbors, how visible it is to you and otheres,
and a number of other factors... only you can decide about a lock... but
remember, locks only keep honest folks out. I'd say it's pretty rare that
a neighbor will enter your shed to steal a shovel or rake but then I don't
know your neighbors Often a lock says "valuables inside" and may encourage
a break in from strangers. I have a large barn filled with very costly
machinery but I never lock it, instead I have insurance. My gardening shed
has a lot of much smaller items that someone may walk off with and
delivery/service people pass there in the normal course of ther job so I
keep that locked because even if they themselves don't take anything they
may mention what's in there to people they know. In any event everything of
value is covered under my homeowners insurance, all my tools are marked, and
I strongly recommend taking photographs of ones belongings regardless.