Old 18-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Registered User

Default Mushroom plugs

Hi
Had to cut down a Rowan and Sycamore tree.

Long story cut down conifers 70 ft high and these where growing in side very spindly and leaning over, to top that the squirells striped off loads of bark and killed the top 20 feet off.
But I have plenty of logs I thought about growing Lions mane & Shiitaki mushrooms from plugs, am I wasting my time or is it worth having a go
Any advice appreciated
Spruce
__________________
From small acorns oak trees grow
Old 18-04-2009, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"spruce" wrote
Had to cut down a Rowan and Sycamore tree.

Long story cut down conifers 70 ft high and these where growing in side
very spindly and leaning over, to top that the squirells striped off
loads of bark and killed the top 20 feet off.
But I have plenty of logs I thought about growing Lions mane & Shiitaki
mushrooms from plugs, am I wasting my time or is it worth having a go
Any advice appreciated
Spruce

Not the favoured type of logs but should work provided they are freshly cut
and are not already infected with a fungus. You need to keep the logs
covered in plastic for some months for the fungus to invade the logs and
then keep the logs somewhere cool and constantly damp, somewhere you can't
keep the moss at bay for example.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 18-04-2009, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

spruce writes

Hi
Had to cut down a Rowan and Sycamore tree.

Long story cut down conifers 70 ft high and these where growing in side
very spindly and leaning over, to top that the squirells striped off
loads of bark and killed the top 20 feet off.
But I have plenty of logs I thought about growing Lions mane & Shiitaki
mushrooms from plugs, am I wasting my time or is it worth having a go

Growing these deliberately seems to require a lot of attention to detail
- something I'm not good at, so my only attempt met with failure.
However, our wood pile (mainly rowan) gave a huge crop of oyster
mushrooms this year - don't know whether it was already infected or
whether it became infected after felling.
--
Kay

Mushroom mushroom... Tim Watts[_3_] United Kingdom 19 09-11-2014 10:02 PM
Mushroom Plugs David Hill United Kingdom 5 18-12-2013 10:45 PM
Jiffy Plugs Jockie1 United Kingdom 0 16-05-2003 12:44 PM
zoysia plugs [email protected] Gardening 1 20-04-2003 10:32 PM
Plugs Ted Richardson United Kingdom 3 24-03-2003 03:44 PM