Old 21-04-2009, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hardening off outdoor tomatoes

My Jersey Sunrise (courtesy of Sacha) are all now at or nearly at the
four-true-leaf stage and need to move from the windowsill to the cold
frame. How long do they need to be there before planting out please?
Old 21-04-2009, 06:10 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Turner View Post
My Jersey Sunrise (courtesy of Sacha) are all now at or nearly at the
four-true-leaf stage and need to move from the windowsill to the cold
frame. How long do they need to be there before planting out please?
Hi Derek
Are you planting into the open ground/greenhouse or pots / growbag
toms hate the cold, you would have to wait until no more frosts, end May at least depending where you plant them if in the open.
I have in the past before I got my greenhouse used four bamboo canes and wrapped clingfilm around for the first couple of weeks just to keep them snug and to stop wind damage (mini greenhouse)

Hope this helps
Spruce
__________________
From small acorns oak trees grow
Old 21-04-2009, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 18:10:15 +0100, spruce wrote:

Hi Derek
Are you planting into the open ground/greenhouse or pots / growbag toms
hate the cold,

Open ground in Jersey. We've had our (first and) last frost (very
probably). I've transferred them to a 4-tier mini greenhouse today (door
rolled up in day-time, down at night) how long must they stay there as
they're already sending roots out through the gro-pots? Assume I'm 4 to 5
weeks ahead of the UK. Drinks-bottle cloches could be provided if that
would be a good idea? Anyone?

Old 22-04-2009, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Derek Turner wrote:
On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 18:10:15 +0100, spruce wrote:

Hi Derek
Are you planting into the open ground/greenhouse or pots / growbag toms
hate the cold,

Open ground in Jersey. We've had our (first and) last frost (very
probably). I've transferred them to a 4-tier mini greenhouse today (door
rolled up in day-time, down at night) how long must they stay there as
they're already sending roots out through the gro-pots? Assume I'm 4 to 5
weeks ahead of the UK. Drinks-bottle cloches could be provided if that
would be a good idea? Anyone?

They were always grown outdoors 'time past' Derek. I'd think it very
unlucky if Jersey got any frosts now, though admittedly it's been a
strange couple of years! If they're sturdy plants that won't be harmed
by heavy rain, should you get any, I think they're safe to put out.
We've had a Strelitzia living outside for over a week now and no, it
hasn't got any tomatoes on it. ;-))
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Old 24-04-2009, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
My Jersey Sunrise (courtesy of Sacha) are all now at or nearly at
the
four-true-leaf stage and need to move from the windowsill to the
cold
frame. How long do they need to be there before planting out please?

In a mini greenhouse, anything above 7 degrees at night will prevent a
check in growth with most tom varieties. As I'm sure you know it's the
check in growth that makes it hard to get the plant to maturity in
time. If the temp is below 8 or 9 at night, close the mini greenhouse.
If it is above, leave the door open. After 10 days you can put them
outside if you like. They will still grow quicker in the warm but will
not check and that's the main issue.

Good luck.

TJ

Old 25-04-2009, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 18:54:31 +0100, Tim Jesson wrote:

If the temp is below 8 or 9 at night, close the mini greenhouse. If it
is above, leave the door open. After 10 days you can put them outside if
you like. They will still grow quicker in the warm but will not check
and that's the main issue.

Good luck.

TJ

Many thanks, that's just what I needed to know. Nighttime temperatures
here are around 9 at the moment.

Hardening off outdoor tomatoes Derek Turner United Kingdom 0 21-04-2009 02:46 PM
Hardening Off questions Leslie Gardening 9 11-04-2004 06:32 AM
Hardening off Neale United Kingdom 1 23-05-2003 10:32 AM
Hardening off in windy weather? Jon Shemitz Edible Gardening 0 15-05-2003 09:44 PM
Hardening off JimM United Kingdom 6 02-05-2003 08:20 AM