Old 23-04-2009, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ants

Forgive me if someone already responded to my question, but if so I didn't
see it

What damage do ants do to the garden and if so, which plants do they attack?

Old 23-04-2009, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 15:41:14 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

Forgive me if someone already responded to my question, but if so I didn't
see it

What damage do ants do to the garden and if so, which plants do they attack?

I don't think he sort of ants we get it the UK do any damage to
anything.

Steve

Old 23-04-2009, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message
Forgive me if someone already responded to my question, but if so I didn't
see it

What damage do ants do to the garden and if so, which plants do they
attack?

Hi Ophelia,

I replied to your question on the original post, but only just! You should
see it come up soon.

Spider

Old 23-04-2009, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote in message
Forgive me if someone already responded to my question, but if so I
didn't see it

What damage do ants do to the garden and if so, which plants do they
attack?

Hi Ophelia,

I replied to your question on the original post, but only just! You
should see it come up soon.

Ok, thanks, Spider Not here yet though

Please would you be so kind as to repeat it?

Old 23-04-2009, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Forgive me if someone already responded to my question, but if so I didn't
see it

What damage do ants do to the garden and if so, which plants do they attack?

I saw your original post and the replies.
Ants do not attack plants. They might decide to make a nest near a
plant and disturb the roots but it is seldom a problem.
You often see ants running up and down plant stems. They are after
the honeydew exuded by aphids. Spray the aphids and the ants will go
elsewhere. The only harm they do is to YOU if you sit on them......

Pam in Bristol

Old 23-04-2009, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ophelia wrote:
Forgive me if someone already responded to my question, but if so I didn't
see it

What damage do ants do to the garden and if so, which plants do they
attack?

This has been covered many times before in this newsgroup. Basically, they
do not attack the plant itself, but encourage aphids. Not only to they
encourage them, they protect them from aphid predators.

They can damage potted plants by removing soil to form nests in the pots.
The plant will eventually keel over as it will suffer from lack of water
when a large propoartion of the soil has been removed.

--
Jeff

Old 23-04-2009, 08:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jeff Layman wrote:
Ophelia wrote:
Forgive me if someone already responded to my question, but if so I
didn't see it

What damage do ants do to the garden and if so, which plants do they
attack?

This has been covered many times before in this newsgroup.

My apologies. I am new here and I hadn't seen it.

Basically, they do not attack the plant itself, but encourage aphids.
Not only to they encourage them, they protect them from aphid
predators.
They can damage potted plants by removing soil to form nests in the
pots. The plant will eventually keel over as it will suffer from lack
of water when a large propoartion of the soil has been removed.

Thank you.

Old 24-04-2009, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:

If you spray the aphids with a mix of soapy water and meths, the ants
will get
you in a place where you least expect it.

Nah - they's be too busy staggering about in an intoxicated fashion and
slipping-up on the soap.

--
Rusty

Old 24-04-2009, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ophelia wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:
Ophelia wrote:
Forgive me if someone already responded to my question, but if so I
didn't see it

What damage do ants do to the garden and if so, which plants do they
attack?

This has been covered many times before in this newsgroup.

My apologies. I am new here and I hadn't seen it.

No problem. Further refs:
http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...ch&sitesearch=

--
Jeff

Old 24-04-2009, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 20:24:58 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

Jeff Layman wrote:
Ophelia wrote:
Forgive me if someone already responded to my question, but if so I
didn't see it

What damage do ants do to the garden and if so, which plants do
they attack?

This has been covered many times before in this newsgroup.

My apologies. I am new here and I hadn't seen it.

Basically, they do not attack the plant itself, but encourage
aphids. Not only to they encourage them, they protect them from
aphid predators.
They can damage potted plants by removing soil to form nests in the
pots. The plant will eventually keel over as it will suffer from
lack of water when a large propoartion of the soil has been removed.

Thank you.

If you spray the aphids with a mix of soapy water and meths, the ants
will get you in a place where you least expect it.

I think you will need to explain that more fully, if you please.

Old 24-04-2009, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jeff Layman wrote:
Ophelia wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:
Ophelia wrote:
Forgive me if someone already responded to my question, but if so I
didn't see it

What damage do ants do to the garden and if so, which plants do
they attack?

This has been covered many times before in this newsgroup.

My apologies. I am new here and I hadn't seen it.

No problem. Further refs:
http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...ch&sitesearch=

Thank you.

ants,ants, and more ants, AAAARRRRRRGGGG Paul O. Gardening 9 11-08-2008 08:13 PM
ants v Amdro -- ants winning Wayfarer Texas 11 09-04-2003 04:08 PM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
ants in worm farm Mousie Australia 8 02-04-2003 10:20 AM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 5 29-03-2003 03:32 PM