Old 25-04-2009, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Worms

Our soil is a clay one (doesn't drain at all well and is quite
clumpey) I have broken up a patch. Would this patch benefit from worms
or do I have to do the whole mixing in sand bit? How much sand (patch is
5m x 60cm) and does anyone know of a worm supplier in Edinburgh?
May also have access to horse manure (well rotted).
Old 25-04-2009, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"soup" wrote in message
m...
Our soil is a clay one (doesn't drain at all well and is quite
clumpey) I have broken up a patch. Would this patch benefit from worms
or do I have to do the whole mixing in sand bit? How much sand (patch is
5m x 60cm) and does anyone know of a worm supplier in Edinburgh?
May also have access to horse manure (well rotted).

You will open it up much better if you add lots of sharp grit, all the
compost (bought and home-made) that you can muster and, by all means, good
horse muck if you can get it. Bear in mind that this can sometimes be
riddled with weeds.

Worms will come to you. Indeed, they may already be there in the lower
layers of the soil. My worms often lurk deep in the soil during drought
conditions - even in winter.

Spider

Old 25-04-2009, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

g'day soup,

have you considered raised garden beds, they are no-dig ever and you
don't need to be concerned with your natural soil. the worms will come
in their droves.

we have pic's on our site that may help.

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 17:52:32 GMT, soup wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 25-04-2009, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from soup contains these words:

Our soil is a clay one (doesn't drain at all well and is quite
clumpey) I have broken up a patch. Would this patch benefit from worms
or do I have to do the whole mixing in sand bit? How much sand (patch is
5m x 60cm) and does anyone know of a worm supplier in Edinburgh?
May also have access to horse manure (well rotted).

You want compost. The worms will finf their own way in and mix the soil
for you.

You can add sand too if you like - it won't hurt, and may help, but just
pile on the compost...

--
Rusty
Old 25-04-2009, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

soup writes
Our soil is a clay one (doesn't drain at all well and is quite
clumpey) I have broken up a patch. Would this patch benefit from worms
or do I have to do the whole mixing in sand bit? How much sand (patch is
5m x 60cm) and does anyone know of a worm supplier in Edinburgh?
May also have access to horse manure (well rotted).

No point in buying worms - if your soil was a suitable place for them to
live they'd be there already. They are present in enough numbers and
breed rapidly enough for them to be evident in your soil if it has
enough food for them.. You need to raise the humus level which will both
improve the drainage and encourage worms to move in and breed.

The well rotted horse manure will help, as will home made compost, spent
hops, and any other form of ex-plant that you can get your hands on.
--
Kay

Old 25-04-2009, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:
"soup" wrote in message
m...
Our soil is a clay one (doesn't drain at all well and is quite
clumpey) I have broken up a patch. Would this patch benefit from worms
or do I have to do the whole mixing in sand bit? How much sand (patch is
5m x 60cm) and does anyone know of a worm supplier in Edinburgh?
May also have access to horse manure (well rotted).

You will open it up much better if you add lots of sharp grit, all the
compost (bought and home-made) that you can muster and, by all means, good
horse muck if you can get it. Bear in mind that this can sometimes be
riddled with weeds.

Worms will come to you. Indeed, they may already be there in the lower
layers of the soil. My worms often lurk deep in the soil during drought
conditions - even in winter.

Spider

Apropos this, does anyone know if the 'weedkiller in manure' problem has
now been solved or overcome in any way? I don't recall reading of an
outcome to that particular problem.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Old 27-04-2009, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
Spider wrote:
"soup" wrote in message
m...
[...]

No its on going and is especially bad in horse manure as this weed killer
deals with ragwort in pasture and is used a lot for fields that will be
both silage and hay/haylage, seems its up to all the people in the chain
to be aware that the resulting dung is no good for garden fertilizer (all
though apparently ok to spead on fields)Because the container has clear
warnings on it warning of the side effects goverment/eu will not act to
withdraw it
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 27-04-2009, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-04-27 11:39:01 +0100, Charlie Pridham
said:

In article ,
says...
Spider wrote:
"soup" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Thanks, Charlie. It's important urglers and those new to growing their
own should be aware of this.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 27-04-2009, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

/snips/

[...]

What's the weedkiller's name? I've disunforgotten.

--
Rusty
Old 27-04-2009, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...

What's the weedkiller's name? I've disunforgotten.

aminopyralid (Forefront)

and

clopyralid

Old 27-04-2009, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"wafflycat" wrote in message

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...

What's the weedkiller's name? I've disunforgotten.

aminopyralid (Forefront)

and

clopyralid

More detail here