Old 29-04-2009, 08:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Courgette Q

Hi All

I am growing a courgette for the first time and have just noticed that my
baby seedling, now producing its 5th and 6th leaf, is also producing flower
buds! Its the round courgette tri colour seeds that I grew and still have
it in a 10cm pot on the window sill. Do I leave the flowers on or take them
off at the moment. I am going to get some more compost and pot it up to a
black flower bucket later today...

Donna

Old 29-04-2009, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Donna UK" wrote in message
Hi All

I am growing a courgette for the first time and have just noticed that my
baby seedling, now producing its 5th and 6th leaf, is also producing
flower buds! Its the round courgette tri colour seeds that I grew and
still have it in a 10cm pot on the window sill. Do I leave the flowers on
or take them off at the moment. I am going to get some more compost and
pot it up to a black flower bucket later today...

Donna

Same here - my "golden zucchini" have got very big in their pots.. lots of
leaves and now lots of flower buds...yet I don't want to put out into the
garden until risk of frosts has passed. Also got a yellow & a green 'patty
pan' type summer squash & a round green one ( diNizza I think ).. I may have
lots of squashes, courgettes and tomatoes this summer.. I shall be very,
very healthy if I do. ;-)

Old 29-04-2009, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"wafflycat" wrote in message

"Donna UK" wrote in message
[...]

Here's a pic of one of mine

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...-001280409.jpg

Old 29-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna UK View Post
Hi All

I am growing a courgette for the first time and have just noticed that my
baby seedling, now producing its 5th and 6th leaf, is also producing flower
buds! Its the round courgette tri colour seeds that I grew and still have
it in a 10cm pot on the window sill. Do I leave the flowers on or take them
off at the moment. I am going to get some more compost and pot it up to a
black flower bucket later today...

Donna

I remember my father taking off all the male flowers until a female one appeared. You can tell as the male flowers have a straight stem, the female ones have a little bump which is what becomes the fruit.
Old 29-04-2009, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 08:09:53 +0100, "Donna UK"
wrote:

Hi All

I am growing a courgette for the first time and have just noticed that my
baby seedling, now producing its 5th and 6th leaf, is also producing flower
buds! Its the round courgette tri colour seeds that I grew and still have
it in a 10cm pot on the window sill. Do I leave the flowers on or take them
off at the moment. I am going to get some more compost and pot it up to a
black flower bucket later today...

Donna

I think you have sown the seed a bit early. I don't sow mine until
early May.
I'm not sure what to advise about the flower buds, but the bigger pot
makes sense. If you don't have a greenhouse put it out in the daytime
and bring it in or give it good protection at night.

Pam in Bristol

Old 29-04-2009, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I am growing a courgette for the first time and have just noticed that my
baby seedling, now producing its 5th and 6th leaf, is also producing flower
buds! Its the round courgette tri colour seeds that I grew and still have
it in a 10cm pot on the window sill. Do I leave the flowers on or take them
off at the moment. I am going to get some more compost and pot it up to a
black flower bucket later today...

I think you have sown the seed a bit early. I don't sow mine until
early May.

Phew! I thought it was just me. I normally sow mine end of april, begining
of may. I did mine last weekend, and they're just begining to break the
surface around now. I'll give them a couple of weeks before I move them
outdoors.

-Paul
--
http://paulseward.com
Old 29-04-2009, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

.uk...
wrote:

[...]

My First Courgette ;-)

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...e001290409.jpg

Old 29-04-2009, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Looking good wafflecat... Mine are slight smaller but fingers crossed we get
some good courgettes to eat

Thank you all for the answers

Old 30-04-2009, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Pam Moore writes
wrote:

Hi All

I am growing a courgette for the first time and have just noticed that my
baby seedling, now producing its 5th and 6th leaf, is also producing flower
buds! Its the round courgette tri colour seeds that I grew and still have
it in a 10cm pot on the window sill. Do I leave the flowers on or take them
off at the moment. I am going to get some more compost and pot it up to a
black flower bucket later today...

You can eat the flowers, for example stuffing them as you might do vine
leaves. So you might as well do that with early male flowers.

Once you start getting female flowers too, then you will want to keep
the male flowers for pollination to make sure the fruits set (unless you
have a parthenogenetic variety). If you're worried about pollination,
you can take a male flower off, pull its petals back, and stuff it into
a female flower to transfer the pollen.

I think you have sown the seed a bit early. I don't sow mine until
early May.

But you're down south! Times vary. I have to start things early (in a
greenhouse, to make sure I get a harvest before the growing season ends.

--
Kay
Old 30-04-2009, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 14:24:33 +0100, "wafflycat"

c.uk...
wrote:

[...]

Will you remove male flowers?

Old 01-05-2009, 07:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Are they the best to eat, fried in a tempura batter? Or is it the
female flowers?
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 01-05-2009, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes
On 2009-04-30 23:11:03 +0100, Judith Smith said:

Will you remove male flowers?

Are they the best to eat, fried in a tempura batter? Or is it the
female flowers?

Each female flower eaten is one less courgette. Stuffed courgette
flowers is a Greek recipe - I doubt whether the Greeks would stuff
female flowers - they seem pretty good at making maximum use of food.
--
Kay
Old 01-05-2009, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha writes
On 2009-04-30 23:11:03 +0100, Judith Smith said:

Will you remove male flowers?

Are they the best to eat, fried in a tempura batter? Or is it the
female flowers?

Each female flower eaten is one less courgette. Stuffed courgette
flowers is a Greek recipe - I doubt whether the Greeks would stuff
female flowers - they seem pretty good at making maximum use of food.

Italians sell them in heaps on market stalls, though. So it must be
the male flowers, I suppose.