Old 29-04-2009, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bears claw

Hi all
Does anybody have any info on this plant as just been given it.
Looking on google doesn't bring up much as far as I can see so if
anybody has some idea's to the proper keywords or a link would be
appreciated.
The only link to a picture I could find
http://www.worldofstock.com/closeups/NPF1034.php is definitly the
plant I have been given.
I have various plant books but cannot seem to find it ,maybe because
it comes from outside of UK or there is another name etc.
Thanks for your replies.
Carl.
Old 29-04-2009, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 29, 1:18*pm, wrote:
Hi all
Does anybody have any info on this plant as just been given it.
Looking on google doesn't bring up much as far as I can see so if
anybody has some idea's to the proper keywords or a link would be
appreciated.
The only link to a picture I could findhttp://www.worldofstock.com/closeups/NPF1034.php* *is definitly the
plant I have been given.
I have various plant books but cannot seem to find it ,maybe because
it comes from outside of UK or there is another name etc.
Thanks for your replies.
Carl.

Bear's Breeches?
Acanthus spinosus
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plant..._pages/6.shtml
Old 29-04-2009, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"CarlBriggs" wrote in message
Hi all
Does anybody have any info on this plant as just been given it.
Looking on google doesn't bring up much as far as I can see so if
anybody has some idea's to the proper keywords or a link would be
appreciated.
The only link to a picture I could find
http://www.worldofstock.com/closeups/NPF1034.php is definitly the
plant I have been given.
I have various plant books but cannot seem to find it ,maybe because
it comes from outside of UK or there is another name etc.
Thanks for your replies.
Carl.

It isn't what we know as giant hogweed, is it?

If it is, you really don't want it!

Old 29-04-2009, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 13:18:49 +0100,
wrote:

Hi all
Does anybody have any info on this plant as just been given it.
Looking on google doesn't bring up much as far as I can see so if
anybody has some idea's to the proper keywords or a link would be
appreciated.
The only link to a picture I could find
http://www.worldofstock.com/closeups/NPF1034.php is definitly the
plant I have been given.
I have various plant books but cannot seem to find it ,maybe because
it comes from outside of UK or there is another name etc.
Thanks for your replies.
Carl.

Is that the same as bear's breeches? (acanthus mollis or acanthus
spinosus; not sureof the difference as I've never grown them) . The
leaves look similar. Most "googles" for it bring up the flowers.

Pam in Bristol

Old 29-04-2009, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
Bear's Breeches, Acanthus spinosus

"CarlBriggs" wrote in message
Hi all
Does anybody have any info on this plant as just been given it.
Looking on google doesn't bring up much as far as I can see so if
anybody has some idea's to the proper keywords or a link would be
appreciated.
The only link to a picture I could find
http://www.worldofstock.com/closeups/NPF1034.php is definitly the
plant I have been given.
I have various plant books but cannot seem to find it ,maybe because
it comes from outside of UK or there is another name etc.
Thanks for your replies.
Carl.

I agree its Acanthus,make sure you plant it where you really want it as
the roots go down for miles and it re grows from any broken bits so its
pretty fifficult to get rid of, I am fight battles on several fronts here
due to not realising it self seeds too!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 29-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Pridham[_2_] View Post
I agree its Acanthus,make sure you plant it where you really want it as
the roots go down for miles and it re grows from any broken bits so its
pretty fifficult to get rid of, I am fight battles on several fronts here
due to not realising it self seeds too!
Although it doesn't do very well in my garden, and hasn't spread, it hasn't died. The one in a flower bed is a pathetic little plant that hardly flowers. The other one near the drive, although even more pathetic, has nonetheless come back despite being trampled to nothing by builders and drive resurfacers on separate occasions. So it does seem to be nearly indestructible, even if it isn't doing very well.
Old 29-04-2009, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 15:09:37 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

bear's breeches

Hi again
Thanks for all the replies.
I will have to do some more looking because as you have pointed me to
the acanthus species I can see there is various and being as this
plant is quite young it's hard for me to identify.
I can't upload a picture at the moment as no camera until weekend.
I will also try and find the person my dad got the plant from to see
if he knows exactly which plant it is.
cheers
Carl.
Old 29-04-2009, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-04-29 13:18:49 +0100, said:

Hi all
Does anybody have any info on this plant as just been given it.
Looking on google doesn't bring up much as far as I can see so if
anybody has some idea's to the proper keywords or a link would be
appreciated.
The only link to a picture I could find
http://www.worldofstock.com/closeups/NPF1034.php is definitly the
plant I have been given.
I have various plant books but cannot seem to find it ,maybe because
it comes from outside of UK or there is another name etc.
Thanks for your replies.
Carl.

I think this is what's known as Bear's Breeches. It likes plenty of
sun, moist soil that's well drained and an airy position - i.e. not
hemmed in by other plants. Don't let it waterlog but OTOH, don't let
it dry right out, either.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials