Old 01-05-2009, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I'm very worry for my 'little' tall palm tree

I'm very worry about my palm trees standing (till now) in my
mediterranean garden.
I read some bad news, that make me anxious, about Red Palm Weevil
(Rhynchophorus ferrugineus) in this forum board:
http://www.agrolinker.co.uk/cgi-bin/...BB.pl?board=13

Is really that great treat for our palm tree these Europeans tell in
their web sites?
I'm very affectionate to my palm trees and I cannot think to my garden
without them!
Can anyone tell me more about this dangerous pest, and how to kill it
quickly before it can damage my garden?
Is it really that treat?
Old 01-05-2009, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 1 May, 15:46, LandraceSwineOldMeetingClub1832
valid wrote:
I'm very worry about my palm trees standing (till now) in my
mediterranean garden.
I read some bad news, that make me anxious, about Red Palm Weevil
(Rhynchophorus ferrugineus) in this forum board:http://www.agrolinker.co.uk/cgi-bin/...BB.pl?board=13

Is really that great treat for our palm tree these Europeans tell in
their web sites?
I'm very affectionate to my palm trees and I cannot think to my garden
without them!
Can anyone tell me more about this dangerous pest, and how to kill it
quickly before it can damage my garden?
Is it really that treat?

You donr say where you are.
I have heard of no instance of Palm Weevin in the UK,
They entered Malta a year or so ago and are slowly spreading.
treatment seems to be to cut down infected trees and burn.
Google search will give you lots of sites to brows.
David Hill
Old 01-05-2009, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill ha scritto:

You donr say where you are.
I have heard of no instance of Palm Weevin in the UK,
They entered Malta a year or so ago and are slowly spreading.
treatment seems to be to cut down infected trees and burn.
Google search will give you lots of sites to brows.
David Hill

In that forum board there are already links to some English documents
and various foreign ones, but they are not so simple to understand. I'm
not an expert, I need something simple to understand.
Anyone can tell me any web-site where I can find simple free booklets
for gardeners about Red Palm Weevil?
Thanks
Old 01-05-2009, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

valid wrote in message
I'm very worry about my palm trees standing (till now) in my mediterranean
garden.
I read some bad news, that make me anxious, about Red Palm Weevil
(Rhynchophorus ferrugineus) in this forum board:
http://www.agrolinker.co.uk/cgi-bin/...BB.pl?board=13

Is really that great treat for our palm tree these Europeans tell in their
web sites?
I'm very affectionate to my palm trees and I cannot think to my garden
without them!
Can anyone tell me more about this dangerous pest, and how to kill it
quickly before it can damage my garden?
Is it really that treat?

I've not heard of it. I did, however, look at the Royal Horticultural
Societies website and they do not seem to recognise it yet, either. Perhaps
you might keep an eye on the RHS site, and maybe Kew's site as well. If
it's going to be a problem in the UK, they will soon be posting info about
it.

Spider

Old 02-05-2009, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 1 May, 20:04, "Spider" wrote:
"LandraceSwineOldMeetingClub1832"LandraceSwineOld wrote in message

[...]

Why wont you say where your garden is?
Is it in the UK?
I am begining to think SCAM
David Hill

Old 02-05-2009, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message

[...]

To whom are you referring, David? Me or 'Landrace'?

Spider

Old 02-05-2009, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-02 21:03:45 +0100, "Spider" said:

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On 1 May, 20:04, "Spider" wrote:
[...]

Landrace, I feel sure. David has asked him once already where he is located.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 02-05-2009, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Why wont you say where your garden is?

It is in Italy, of course, but I'm not a European.
Is this a newsgroups for UK people only?

Anyway I know RHS & KEW's, thanks for your answer, I will browse those
site to find other infos about this insect, I thought could be also in UK

Old 02-05-2009, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-02 21:03:45 +0100, "Spider" said:

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On 1 May, 20:04, "Spider" wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Sacha. :~) I hope so. I don't think I've been particularly
precious about my whereabouts.
Incidentally, I did respond to your 'Deutzia' post recently. Hope you saw
that. I've had one or two minor problems recently ... and I know you've
switched server ... so just wondered?

Spider

Old 02-05-2009, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-02 21:03:45 +0100, "Spider" said:

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On 1 May, 20:04, "Spider" wrote:
[...]

Sorry, no, but I've been switching around, as you say. Can you email
it to me if you don't want to re-post it?

Old 02-05-2009, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-02 21:03:45 +0100, "Spider" said:

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On 1 May, 20:04, "Spider" wrote:
[...]

Will do, Sacha, but tomorrow morning now. Can't keep my eyes open, so off
to bed.
Night night.

Spider

Old 03-05-2009, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2 May, 21:46, LandraceSwineOldMeetingClub1832
valid wrote:
* Why wont you say where your garden is?

It is in Italy, of course, but I'm not a European.
Is this a newsgroups for UK people only?

Anyway I know RHS & KEW's, thanks for your answer, I will browse those
site to find other infos about this insect, I thought could be also in UK

Though why you say Italy of course, how are we supposed to know that?

Red Palm wevil is not in the UK and with our climate I doubt iut will
be though a few could come in on imported palms, but I doubt they
would survive our weather and they would be hard put to find enough
palms to feed on.
They are prevelent in Italy, Spain and other mediteranian parts.
This may answer some of your questions.
http://www.palms.org/palmsjournal/2002/redweevil.htm
David Hill
Old 03-05-2009, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill ha scritto:
Red Palm wevil is not in the UK and with our climate I doubt iut will
be though a few could come in on imported palms, but I doubt they
would survive our weather and they would be hard put to find enough
palms to feed on.
They are prevelent in Italy, Spain and other mediteranian parts.
This may answer some of your questions.
http://www.palms.org/palmsjournal/2002/redweevil.htm
David Hill

Very interesting document (with many photos), I thank you for you answer.