Old 02-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Mitulove's Avatar
Registered User

Question Please help ID this charming plant..

Hello,

If you can spare a moment, could you look at this:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3637/...66706d95_b.jpg

I have these growing up in my hedges, and I think they're awfully pretty. Can you tell me anything about them?

Kind thanks!
Old 02-05-2009, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Please help ID this charming plant..

Mitulove writes

http://tinyurl.com/c47y2t

I have these growing up in my hedges, and I think they're awfully
pretty. Can you tell me anything about them?

Kerria. This is the double flowered one - there's a single flowered one
too.

--
Mitulove

--
Kay
Old 02-05-2009, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-02 18:03:29 +0100, Mitulove
said:

Hello,

If you can spare a moment, could you look at this:

http://tinyurl.com/c47y2t

I have these growing up in my hedges, and I think they're awfully
pretty. Can you tell me anything about them?

Kind thanks!

Kerria japonica - suckers like a demon so keep an eye on it!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 02-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitulove View Post
Hello,

If you can spare a moment, could you look at this:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3637/...66706d95_b.jpg

I have these growing up in my hedges, and I think they're awfully pretty. Can you tell me anything about them?

Kind thanks!
Hi It looks like Kerria japonica,
Hardy shrub I find ita bit messy but you can train ona fence and wall grows about 10 feet you need to thin out old branches in the Autum other wise gets realy messy in the centre
Glad you like it

Spruce
__________________
From small acorns oak trees grow
Old 02-05-2009, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Mitulove
writes

Hello,

If you can spare a moment, could you look at this:

http://tinyurl.com/c47y2t

I have these growing up in my hedges, and I think they're awfully
pretty. Can you tell me anything about them?

It's Kerria japonica 'Pleniflora'. It is a suckering shrub belonging to
the rose family (Rosaceae). It is presumably the same as Kerria japonica
f. plena and Kerria japonica var. plena.

The genus contains just the single species, which has on occasion been
placed in Rubus or Spiraea.

In addition to the double-flowered cultivar, a single selection is grown
under the name 'Golden Guinea'. 'Albescens' (or f. albescens or var.
albescens) is a paler-flowered form. The RHS Plant Finder also lists
'Buttercup' and 'Simplex', but only tentatively accepts them, so they
might be the wild-type, or 'Golden Guinea'.

I've seen a variegated form, which I wasn't impressed by, but I don't
know whether this was the usual variegated form ('Picta').

Google finds me mentions (in the US) of 'Picta Silver', which seems to
have the foliage of 'Picta', and the flowers of 'Albescens'. Other US
varieties are 'Shannon' and 'Splendens'.

Form/variety names include f. argentovariegata, f. picta (which
presumably includes 'Picta'), f. aureovariegata, f. aureovittata
('Aureovittata'), f./var. semiplena, and f./var. stellata.
argentovariegata and picta might be the same.

Other cultivar names are 'Albiflora' (='Albescens'?), 'Honshu', 'Kin
Kan' (='Aureovittata'?) and 'Superba'.

The species first came to the attention of European botanists in the
form of this, double-flowered, form. Due to the failure of this cultivar
to form fruits, and the absence of stamens and styles, it was not at the
time possible to identify the plant as rosaceous, and it was
misidentified as a Corchorus (jute), presumably based on similarities in
habit and foliage.

The genus name, Kerria, is commonly adopted as the English vernacular
name. However I find an American nursery using the name Gypsy Rose. The
name Jews Mallow has been applied to the species, which I presume to
originate from the use of that name for jute, especially Corchorus
olitorius and Corchorus capsularis. (These species are eaten as salad
vegetables in the Middle East, but why they became specifically
associated with Jews is unknown to me.)

In its native Japan it is known as Yamabuki.

Old canes tend to die back, and it would be appropriate to prune the
dead material.

Kind thanks!

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 03-05-2009, 12:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mitulove" wrote in message

Hello,

If you can spare a moment, could you look at this:

http://tinyurl.com/c47y2t

I have these growing up in my hedges, and I think they're awfully
pretty. Can you tell me anything about them?

I'd loved to have had a go at ID but tinyurl is dodgy for me, I am not
allowed to open it.

Tina

Old 03-05-2009, 07:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 2 May 2009 Sacha wrote:

Hello,
If you can spare a moment, could you look at this:
http://tinyurl.com/c47y2t
I have these growing up in my hedges, and I think they're awfully
pretty. Can you tell me anything about them?
Kind thanks!

Kerria japonica - suckers like a demon so keep an eye on it!

Just to show you how ignorant I am I thought it was Bachelor's Button -
but that's only because that's what a couple of my friends call it!
You're right about it suckering. It's infesting my garden from a
neighbour's.

I've just googled for Bachelor's Button and find it's a cornflower.

Well, you learn something every day .......!

David

http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk

Old 03-05-2009, 07:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David Rance
writes
On Sat, 2 May 2009 Sacha wrote:

Hello,
If you can spare a moment, could you look at this:
http://tinyurl.com/c47y2t
I have these growing up in my hedges, and I think they're awfully
pretty. Can you tell me anything about them?
Kind thanks!

Kerria japonica - suckers like a demon so keep an eye on it!

Just to show you how ignorant I am I thought it was Bachelor's Button -
but that's only because that's what a couple of my friends call it!
You're right about it suckering. It's infesting my garden from a
neighbour's.

I've just googled for Bachelor's Button and find it's a cornflower.

If you google for Kerria, you'll find that Batchelor's Button has been
applied to Kerria. I knew Batchelor's Button as a name for Feverfew
(Tanacetum parthenium).

Old 03-05-2009, 07:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Christina Websell
writes

"Mitulove" wrote in message

Hello,

If you can spare a moment, could you look at this:

http://tinyurl.com/c47y2t

I have these growing up in my hedges, and I think they're awfully
pretty. Can you tell me anything about them?

I'd loved to have had a go at ID but tinyurl is dodgy for me, I am not
allowed to open it.

Tina

Try sticking "preview" in front of the URL, i.e.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/c47y2t

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 03-05-2009, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-03 07:15:06 +0100, David Rance
said:

On Sat, 2 May 2009 Sacha wrote:

Hello,
If you can spare a moment, could you look at this:
http://tinyurl.com/c47y2t
I have these growing up in my hedges, and I think they're awfully
pretty. Can you tell me anything about them?
Kind thanks!

Kerria japonica - suckers like a demon so keep an eye on it!

Just to show you how ignorant I am I thought it was Bachelor's Button -
but that's only because that's what a couple of my friends call it!
You're right about it suckering. It's infesting my garden from a
neighbour's.

I've just googled for Bachelor's Button and find it's a cornflower.

Well, you learn something every day .......!

David

I love the country names for plants but they do lead to confusion in
different parts of UK, let alone worldwide!

Old 03-05-2009, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

David Rance writes
On Sat, 2 May 2009 Sacha wrote:

Hello,
If you can spare a moment, could you look at this:
http://tinyurl.com/c47y2t
I have these growing up in my hedges, and I think they're awfully
pretty. Can you tell me anything about them?
Kind thanks!

Kerria japonica - suckers like a demon so keep an eye on it!

Just to show you how ignorant I am I thought it was Bachelor's Button -
but that's only because that's what a couple of my friends call it!
You're right about it suckering. It's infesting my garden from a
neighbour's.

I've just googled for Bachelor's Button and find it's a cornflower.

You do indeed! I thought Bachelor's Button was one of those little
yellow compositaes. Still, that's common names for you - different
plants in different places. That's why it is worth the effort of
learning the latin names.

Reminds me of gillyflower - I've heard that applied to wallflowers,
pinks and sweet williams. But according to English Heritage magazine
this week, it was a general term for 'scented perennials' - so that
would explain it.
--
Kay
Old 03-05-2009, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 3 May 2009 K wrote:

Hello,
If you can spare a moment, could you look at this:
http://tinyurl.com/c47y2t
I have these growing up in my hedges, and I think they're awfully
pretty. Can you tell me anything about them?
Kind thanks!

Kerria japonica - suckers like a demon so keep an eye on it!

Just to show you how ignorant I am I thought it was Bachelor's Button
- but that's only because that's what a couple of my friends call it!
You're right about it suckering. It's infesting my garden from a
neighbour's.

I've just googled for Bachelor's Button and find it's a cornflower.

You do indeed! I thought Bachelor's Button was one of those little
yellow compositaes. Still, that's common names for you - different
plants in different places. That's why it is worth the effort of
learning the latin names.

I've just conferred with my wife and she says that Bachelor's Button is
what her grandfather called Kerria - and he was the head gardener on an
estate in Norfolk 60+ years ago. And I seem to remember that my
ex-wife's father who was also an organic market gardener also called it
Bachelor's Button. So maybe I'm not quite so ignorant as I first
thought!

David

http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk

Old 03-05-2009, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-03 11:19:33 +0100, David Rance
said:

On Sun, 3 May 2009 K wrote:

[...]

Local names do vary widely - I know we've mentioned on here before that
what I call goosegrass (Galium aparine) others call cleavers or sticky
willy!

Old 03-05-2009, 09:18 PM
Mitulove's Avatar
Registered User

Thank you all so much for the identification and the advice!
Old 04-05-2009, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

My wife has always called it gypsy rose, I believe it's commonly called that
in hampshire & Dorset etc.

Steve