Old 12-05-2009, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default potting on compost

Any recommendations for a compost to pot-on tomatoes that is not too heavy,
but on the other hand does not let the water run straight through?
I've usually used J Arthur Bowers 'seed and potting', but it's difficult to
get locally and necessitates a 25 mile round trip to the nearest place to
buy, whereas I have about three or four garden centres, a B&Q & a Homebase
within a 10 mile trip to buy an alternative. I tried one different one a
couple of years ago when I couldn't find the JAB, and the water just ran
through (can't remember what it was called unfortunately).

I've wasted the best part of a bag of JAB having potted on most of the
tomatoes which developed mosaic virus so have had a good clean out and
disinfectant of the greenhouse. I've now got later ones coming on in my
conservatory which I will put out in the greenhouse and hope! I've put a
good sized test replacement from my neighbour in the disinfected greenhouse
and watching for any signs of the virus before I put the others out there.
Any advise or experience of this virus will be very welcome.

Ros
Old 12-05-2009, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 12, 10:09*am, Ros Butt
wrote:
[...]

We offer a whole range of composts at our place and it is all
available for nationwide delivery. The problem is with large garden
centre's today is that the stuff they are selling is simply just not
as good quality anymore. For example Levingtons multipurpose (use to
be a huge seller until price increased) use to be 100% peat based but
now is only 75% with 25% green waste!

As more and more composts are being lowered in quality to compete with
the current economical climate and bad peat harvests - good composts
are becoming very difficult to find!

We offer top quality brand named composts such as Humax Multipurepose
(Highly Recommended) and also our own home branded Taylors Choice
Multipurpose (Very high quality & recommended highly with 10000's sold
every year!)

There is much more available on our website as we offer over 5000
different product lines and everything is available for delivery
direct to your door.

www.taylorschoice.co.uk
Old 12-05-2009, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 12, 10:09*am, Ros Butt
wrote:
[...]

We offer over 5000 different products for nationwide delivery with a
very large and diverse range of composts which may be worth having a
look at www.taylorschoice.co.uk

Our Taylors Choice multipurpose compost is a very high quality &
highly recommended with 10000's of bags sold every year! We also offer
many other different branded horticultural goods which you can see on
our website.

There is also compost's/planters etc... specifically for growing
tomato's which may be of use to you.

If you would like anymore information or help just send me a message
or an email
Old 12-05-2009, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ros Butt wrote:
Any recommendations for a compost to pot-on tomatoes that is not too heavy,
but on the other hand does not let the water run straight through?
I've usually used J Arthur Bowers 'seed and potting', but it's difficult to
get locally and necessitates a 25 mile round trip to the nearest place to
buy, whereas I have about three or four garden centres, a B&Q & a Homebase
within a 10 mile trip to buy an alternative. I tried one different one a
couple of years ago when I couldn't find the JAB, and the water just ran
through (can't remember what it was called unfortunately).

Very happy with New Horizon (peat free) grow bag compost. Which?
recommendation.

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames
Old 12-05-2009, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12 May, 10:09, Ros Butt wrote:
[...]

Mosaic virus isn't caused by potting compost but most likely
transmitted by aphids or even yourself having been in contact with an
infected plant.To wet compost I fill a small pot with it dry, then
slowly pour some waster on it while stirring with a dibber which works
for me.