Old 17-05-2009, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bramley apple tree didn't flower this year

Last year we brought a young bramley apple tree over to France from
England. It flowered its little heart out and had lots of fruit. We had
to prop up the branches they were sagging so much.

This year however, it didn't even bother to flower. Not a single flower.
Is that because it is a young tree and having a rest after last years
exertions?

--
David in Normandy.
Old 17-05-2009, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David in Normandy
writes
Last year we brought a young bramley apple tree over to France from
England. It flowered its little heart out and had lots of fruit. We had
to prop up the branches they were sagging so much.

This year however, it didn't even bother to flower. Not a single
flower. Is that because it is a young tree and having a rest after last
years exertions?

Many apple cultivars have a tendency to biannual/biennial fruiting. This
is documented for 'Bramley's Seedling'.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 17-05-2009, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote ...
Last year we brought a young bramley apple tree over to France from
England. It flowered its little heart out and had lots of fruit. We had to
prop up the branches they were sagging so much.

This year however, it didn't even bother to flower. Not a single flower.
Is that because it is a young tree and having a rest after last years
exertions?

My understanding is you should have restricted the number of fruit last year
to only a few, or even not allowed any to grow. This allows the tree to
conserve energy for establishment and growth. The reward coming in
subsequent years.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden