Old 01-06-2009, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cheep compost.

I bought three bags of Payless compost from Focus. I potted up some plants
about three weeks ago using this compost and all the pots have grass growing
in them.
I know this subject on cheap compost has been discussed in here before. I
just thought I would let you know what happened to me because of trying to
save money...you do have to go for quality and pay that bit extra.
--
Bill.
South/West Durham

Old 01-06-2009, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Cheep? Maybe Cheap.
--
Bill.
South/West Durham

Old 01-06-2009, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bill P. wrote:
Cheep? Maybe Cheap.

I thought it maybe had bird seed in it? ;-)

I've been caught out like that too buying cheap compost, laden with
seeds of specific weeds/plants.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 1, 4:05*pm, David in Normandy
wrote:
Bill P. wrote:
Cheep? Maybe Cheap.

I thought it maybe had bird seed in it? ;-)

I've been caught out like that too buying cheap compost, laden with
seeds of specific weeds/plants.

--
David in Normandy. *
* *To e-mail you must include the password FROG on the
* *subject line, or it will be automatically deleted
* *by a filter and not reach my inbox.

David, the last lot I bought had a load of hay, straw and sawdust, it
doesn't retain water, I am not too happy with any of the French
composts. Some have bits of felt type stuff in them and I am yet to
find a good one, any suggestions?

Judith
Old 01-06-2009, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
Bill P. wrote:
Cheep? Maybe Cheap.

I thought it maybe had bird seed in it? ;-)

I've been caught out like that too buying cheap compost, laden with
seeds of specific weeds/plants.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

David, the last lot I bought had a load of hay, straw and sawdust, it
doesn't retain water, I am not too happy with any of the French
composts. Some have bits of felt type stuff in them and I am yet to
find a good one, any suggestions?

Judith

I agree. Unless you spend lots of money on an expensive brand most of
the compost seems to be very poor quality.

Personally I buy two types of French compost. One cheap and the other
even cheaper!

For seeds and seedlings I just use the cheapest multipurpose compost
from L'eclerc ~ 6 euros per 40 litre sack, but also mix in some yellow
builders sand. Usually I don't get any weeds with it and it works
reasonably well.

The very cheap one I use is from the Aldi stores at around 3 euros per
40 litre sack, but it usually has weed seeds in it. It is very fibrous
and I mix this with mole hill soil (more soil than compost) and use it
for potting on plants, tomatoes etc; however it does need weeding for a
while. It works well when used like this as the soil is a bit heavy and
the fibres help to break it up a bit.

The garden centres here in France have some compost much much more
expensive, but I'd rather keep my money for more plants and just use the
cheapest nastiest compost available - when mixed with sand / soil etc
they are adequate. I'm not bothered about those that contain fertiliser
- I'd sooner add my own anyway so I know how much feed the plants are
getting.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill P." wrote in message
I bought three bags of Payless compost from Focus. I potted up some plants
about three weeks ago using this compost and all the pots have grass
growing in them.
I know this subject on cheap compost has been discussed in here before. I
just thought I would let you know what happened to me because of trying
to save money...you do have to go for quality and pay that bit extra.

You could make your own!

Old 01-06-2009, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 1, 3:48*pm, "Bill P." wrote:
I bought three bags of Payless compost from Focus. I potted up some plants
about three weeks ago using this compost and all the pots have grass growing
in them.
I know this subject on cheap compost has been discussed in here before. I
just thought I would let you know what happened to me because of *trying to
save money...you do have to go for quality and pay that bit extra.

In case anybody has not noticed, Morrisons currently have their 40
litre multi purpose compost usually £3.50, on offer at £2. Not
brilliant but not bad for a cheapy.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

David in Normandy writes
For seeds and seedlings I just use the cheapest multipurpose compost
from L'eclerc ~ 6 euros per 40 litre sack,

That's not very cheap is it? I get 60l new Horizon for £6, which would
work aout at the same price back in the good old days when a euro was
67p.
--
Kay
Old 02-06-2009, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:

Are you still having problems with moles, David?

Yes. I managed to get rid of them last year, but new moles have moved in
this year. Problem is we are surrounded by open fields with no shortage
of moles wanting new territory. The way I got rid of them last year was
a bit too expensive to keep repeating, so we are just making the best of
it and using the mole hill soil. Trouble is the ground is so uneven due
to their digging it makes the lawns dangerous to walk on and it is easy
to stumble or twist an ankle.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote

Yes. I managed to get rid of them last year, but new moles have moved in
this year. ... The way I got rid of them last year was a bit too expensive
to keep repeating.....

David, how did you get rid of them last year? Moles have moved into my
allotment and are causing havoc.

Many thanks.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2 June, 09:41, "Moe" wrote:
"David in Normandy" wrote

Yes. I managed to get rid of them last year, but new moles have moved in
this year. ... The way I got rid of them last year was a bit too expensive
to keep repeating.....

David, how did you get rid of them last year? *Moles have moved into my
allotment and are causing havoc.

Many thanks.

I don't know about their compost now but Focus compost used to be made
from sedge peat not sphagnum, it was cold wet and lousy.
Try B&Q multipurpous compost.
David Hill
Old 02-06-2009, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Moe wrote:
"David in Normandy" wrote
Yes. I managed to get rid of them last year, but new moles have moved in
this year. ... The way I got rid of them last year was a bit too expensive
to keep repeating.....

David, how did you get rid of them last year? Moles have moved into my
allotment and are causing havoc.

Many thanks.

Personally I wouldn't use this technique where I'm growing food. I also
think it may be frowned upon by the local constabulary in the UK. Here
in France things are a bit more liberal - you can even buy little
explosive charges to kill them! Anyway here is my way:

I smoked / gassed them with sulphur dioxide fumes as follows:

Buy some granular sodium chlorate weedkiller from you garden centre.
From a chemist (maybe an agricultural stores type chemist) buy flowers
of sulphur ("flowers" of sulphur just means it is a fine powder). It may
be more expensive from standard chemists such as Boots though. They used
to sell it as a laxative.

Mix (small amounts) of sodium chlorate with the sulphur. Try around 2/3
sodium chlorate to 1/3 sulphur initially - you may need to adjust the
quantities to get a good burning mixture depending on how much fire
depressant has been added to the sodium chlorate.

Find a mole hill. Scrape the earth away and use a hand trowel to dig
down and find the tunnel. Tip in around 1/4 cup of the mixture nudging
it up the tunnel as far as convenient with a spoon or bit of stick. I
suggest you wear leather gloves as you don't want to get the mix on your
hands and also for fire protection.

Drop a lit match onto the mix. As soon as the mix ignites cover it with
loose earth. It won't put the fire out. You will hear it fizzing and
burning underground. Pack more soil on top so no fumes escape. Avoid
breathing the fumes yourself. While you won't drop dead they aren't
pleasant.

With a bit of luck you may see smoke coming up in other parts of your
garden many yards away - this means the smoke is going along the tunnels.

You may need to repeat in a few different places to smoke out most of
the tunnels. I'm not sure if this kills the moles or just makes them
decide to evacuate the premises and find a new home. It worked anyway.
The downside is that more moles may move in again sooner or later
depending on your proximity to open fields.

Take great care with the mixture - it is extremely flammable and you
could easily burn yourself if you don't keep your wits about you. Do not
store any more than you use in one go.

Follow the above technique at your own risk! It may also be illegal in
the UK!

Old 30-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Registered User

Location: Durham UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in Normandy[_8_] View Post
wrote:
Bill P. wrote:
[...]

I notice you live in Durham. If you pop in tomorrow to the Garden Centre in Durham I will point you in the direction of some good quality compost. You are right. It does make all the difference.