Old 01-01-2004, 11:09 PM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

Default Flowers for table decoration in June

I have a son getting married at the beginning of June and have been
wondering whether I have time to grow anything suitable for a table
decorations.
He and his partner are very happy with something quite cottagey and
simple. Scented would be good: they had wondered about lavender - but
lack of time to grow it would be a problem.
If not scented, then I guess annuals are likely to be the only
possibilities. I haven't got much experience with annuals so any
suggestions would be really gratefully received.

Janet G

Old 01-01-2004, 11:15 PM
MCC

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 23:00:00 GMT, Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson
wrote:

I have a son getting married at the beginning of June and have been
wondering whether I have time to grow anything suitable for a table
decorations.
He and his partner are very happy with something quite cottagey and
simple. Scented would be good: they had wondered about lavender - but
lack of time to grow it would be a problem.
If not scented, then I guess annuals are likely to be the only
possibilities. I haven't got much experience with annuals so any
suggestions would be really gratefully received.

Sweet peas - the Queen of the Annuals - sow some now in tubes - empty loo
rolls or kitchen towel rolls cut in half. Harden them off and plant them out
when any danger of hard frost is past. They should be in bloom by the
beginning of June but you really need to get them sown now.
To get a succession of blooms throughout the summer, sow some seeds
alongside where you plant your seedlings.
--
MCC
Old 01-01-2004, 11:36 PM
Sacha

Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson1/1/04 11:00

I have a son getting married at the beginning of June and have been
wondering whether I have time to grow anything suitable for a table
decorations.
He and his partner are very happy with something quite cottagey and
simple. Scented would be good: they had wondered about lavender - but
lack of time to grow it would be a problem.
If not scented, then I guess annuals are likely to be the only
possibilities. I haven't got much experience with annuals so any
suggestions would be really gratefully received.

Janet G

One idea: when Ray and I got married in June 2000 we hit the same dilemma.
It was more of a luncheon party than a wedding reception, so we wanted
'relaxed'.
In the middle of the tables we had terracotta plant pots and saucers filled
with his Nemesia Bluebird. You could have pots of Freesias, perhaps or
Dianthus?
As place name settings we had very small pots (just above plug size) with
e.g. that Nemesia or a Million Bells and a plant label with the name of the
person and a description of them as if they were a plant. For example, my
mother who is hat mad and never leaves the house without wearing one, was
described as "J....H....mother stock of the bridal plant: inclined to be
rampant in millinery departments": a friend who plays a LOT of golf was
described as "thrives in the rough" etc.
It caused a lot of laughter and everyone took their own 'horticultural
label' and plant home with them. It was a great deal of fun, thinking them
all up, too!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 02-01-2004, 01:45 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson
contains these words:

I have a son getting married at the beginning of June and have been
wondering whether I have time to grow anything suitable for a table
decorations.
He and his partner are very happy with something quite cottagey and
simple. Scented would be good: they had wondered about lavender - but
lack of time to grow it would be a problem.
If not scented, then I guess annuals are likely to be the only
possibilities. I haven't got much experience with annuals so any
suggestions would be really gratefully received.

Have a trawl through the plant catalogues. There must be quite a few
bulbs and corms which flower around then, and you may be lucky and get
them at a reduced price at this time of year, - - - meaning you can
plant more and be sure of having *SOMETHING* in flower, not that you can
do it on the cheap!

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 02-01-2004, 04:08 AM
Anne Jackson

The message
from Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson
contains these words:

He and his partner are very happy with something quite cottagey and
simple. Scented would be good: they had wondered about lavender - but
lack of time to grow it would be a problem.

Depending on where you live, Janet, I could send you loads of lavender,
as I have a lavender hedge....

--
AnneJ
ICQ #:- 119531282

Old 02-01-2004, 10:03 AM
martin

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 09:28:48 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

Anne Jackson wrote:
The message
from Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson
contains these words:

He and his partner are very happy with something quite cottagey and
simple. Scented would be good: they had wondered about lavender - but
lack of time to grow it would be a problem.

Depending on where you live, Janet, I could send you loads of
lavender, as I have a lavender hedge....

Lucky girl

We have a lavender hedge too. Lavender grows really well here.
I am surprised that it's not grown commercially here.
--
Martin
Old 02-01-2004, 10:33 AM
Ophelia

wrote:

Anne Jackson wrote:
The message
from Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson
contains these words:

He and his partner are very happy with something quite cottagey and
simple. Scented would be good: they had wondered about lavender - but
lack of time to grow it would be a problem.

Depending on where you live, Janet, I could send you loads of
lavender, as I have a lavender hedge....

Lucky girl

We have a lavender hedge too. Lavender grows really well here.
I am surprised that it's not grown commercially here.

I am very envious of Anne's hedge. I am a bit further south than Anne and
mine dies

Old 02-01-2004, 10:34 AM
martin

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 10:16:04 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Anne Jackson wrote:
The message
from Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson
contains these words:

He and his partner are very happy with something quite cottagey and
simple. Scented would be good: they had wondered about lavender - but
lack of time to grow it would be a problem.

Depending on where you live, Janet, I could send you loads of
lavender, as I have a lavender hedge....

Lucky girl

We have a lavender hedge too. Lavender grows really well here.
I am surprised that it's not grown commercially here.

I am very envious of Anne's hedge. I am a bit further south than Anne and
mine dies

Local kids and adults grab handfuls from ours. We were thinking of a
deterrent.

--
Martin
Old 02-01-2004, 07:33 PM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

The message
from Anne Jackson contains these words:

The message
from Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson
contains these words:

He and his partner are very happy with something quite cottagey and
simple. Scented would be good: they had wondered about lavender - but
lack of time to grow it would be a problem.

Depending on where you live, Janet, I could send you loads of lavender,
as I have a lavender hedge....

--
AnneJ
ICQ #:- 119531282

Thanks for a really kind offer. I'll chew over a few ideas and contact
you off-list if that's OK.

Janet G