Old 28-06-2009, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What veg seeds are you planting at the moment?

There seems to be seeds to plant almost every month of the year.
I've just planted more lettuce, radish, garden cress, beetroot, carrots
and a final (4th) attempt at some parsnips. Not that I've got any garden
space left to plant any of these things at the moment - they will be
going into space vacated by some potatoes soon.

What seeds are others planting at the moment?

Beetroot is getting a higher priority than usual since discovering
chocolate and beetroot cake (very nice). The beetroot can even be stored
in the freezer for this recipe since they are mashed for the cake anyway.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 28-06-2009, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
There seems to be seeds to plant almost every month of the year.
I've just planted more lettuce, radish, garden cress, beetroot, carrots
and a final (4th) attempt at some parsnips. Not that I've got any garden
space left to plant any of these things at the moment - they will be going
into space vacated by some potatoes soon.

What seeds are others planting at the moment?

In the last week I've sown more lettuce, radishes, beetroot, turnips,
chinese radishes, and this morning some more runner and french beans. The
most recent sowing of broad beans are just starting to break the surface in
pots and will be planted out when about 4" - 6" tall.

I must get more carrots in, there are gaps in my rows.

Steve

Old 29-06-2009, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

shazzbat wrote:
"David in Normandy" wrote in message
There seems to be seeds to plant almost every month of the year.
I've just planted more lettuce, radish, garden cress, beetroot, carrots
and a final (4th) attempt at some parsnips. Not that I've got any garden
space left to plant any of these things at the moment - they will be going
into space vacated by some potatoes soon.

What seeds are others planting at the moment?

In the last week I've sown more lettuce, radishes, beetroot, turnips,
chinese radishes, and this morning some more runner and french beans. The
most recent sowing of broad beans are just starting to break the surface in
pots and will be planted out when about 4" - 6" tall.

I must get more carrots in, there are gaps in my rows.

Steve

It is almost time to sow Spring Cabbage.

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Old 29-06-2009, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 28, 5:16*pm, David in Normandy
wrote:
There seems to be seeds to plant almost every month of the year.
I've just planted more lettuce, radish, garden cress, beetroot, carrots
and a final (4th) attempt at some parsnips. Not that I've got any garden
space left to plant any of these things at the moment - they will be
going into space vacated by some potatoes soon.

What seeds are others planting at the moment?

Beetroot is getting a higher priority than usual since discovering
chocolate and beetroot cake (very nice). The beetroot can even be stored
in the freezer for this recipe since they are mashed for the cake anyway.

--
David in Normandy. *
* *To e-mail you must include the password FROG on the
* *subject line, or it will be automatically deleted
* *by a filter and not reach my inbox.

this year I put all my potatoes in big plastic bags as an experiment.
Frees up lots of space as you can grow pots on concrete, no self
setters, easy harvesting - just kick the bag over, simple earthing up
by rolling up the bag and filling, little weeding, easy watering.
Haven't found the catch yet!
No results yet so I can't say if it's been a success

Old 29-06-2009, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote
There seems to be seeds to plant almost every month of the year.
I've just planted more lettuce, radish, garden cress, beetroot, carrots
and a final (4th) attempt at some parsnips. Not that I've got any garden
space left to plant any of these things at the moment - they will be going
into space vacated by some potatoes soon.

What seeds are others planting at the moment?

Beetroot is getting a higher priority than usual since discovering
chocolate and beetroot cake (very nice). The beetroot can even be stored
in the freezer for this recipe since they are mashed for the cake anyway.

Keep your parsnip seeds well watered (daily) and they should germinate quite
quickly now the soil is warm, quickly for parsnips I mean.
We sow ours thus...
Get a thin metal rod, push into the ground as far as possible and describe
circles to make a conical hole, fill hole with old potting compost, plant 3
seeds on top and cover. If more than one germinates at each station either
thin or transplant into positions where none germinated. Keep well watered
for a couple of weeks.

Shall be planting some early peas soon for a late crop (having hopefully
done for the mice that got our early planted earlies).
Otherwise it's the usual mixed lettuce seed. (Buy a few types you like and
mix it yourself, but remember the red varieties are easier and more robust
growers IME)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 29-06-2009, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

shazzbat wrote:
In the last week I've sown more ... runner and french beans.

Sounds a bit late to be planting runner beans? Are you planting more
than one batch? Mine are already fully over the bamboo supports and
covered in flowers; I expect to harvest the first beans in a week or
two, then continue harvesting right up until the first hard frost.

Old 29-06-2009, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

shazzbat wrote:
In the last week I've sown more ... runner and french beans.

Sounds a bit late to be planting runner beans? Are you planting more than
one batch? Mine are already fully over the bamboo supports and covered in
flowers; I expect to harvest the first beans in a week or two, then
continue harvesting right up until the first hard frost.

Yes it's a second batch. We're only growing fot the two of us, and I like to
keep them going as long as I can. Although having said that, the first batch
have been having a tought time with slugs and with rabbits, so the second
batch may be the only hope.
Steve