Old 04-07-2009, 05:37 PM
Registered User

Default Runner Beans In Greenhouse

Hi

I am currently growing some runner beans in my greenhouse. they are currently about 6 inches tall. i am planning on moving them out of the green house into the garden.
when would be the best time in moving them into the garden?? also do i have to do anything before i put them in the garden??
thanks
callum
Old 04-07-2009, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

--
callumw10

Plant them out ASAP and dont forget the slug pellets
David Hill
Old 04-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by callumw10 View Post
Hi

I am currently growing some runner beans in my greenhouse. they are currently about 6 inches tall. i am planning on moving them out of the green house into the garden.
when would be the best time in moving them into the garden?? also do i have to do anything before i put them in the garden??
thanks
callum
As soon as possible - you are leaving it rather late.

Make sure you have a good frame for them to grow on, soak the ground before planting, and keep them well watered.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 13:39:36 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

On 4 July, 17:37, callumw10
wrote:
Hi

I am currently growing some runner beans in my greenhouse. they are
currently about 6 inches tall. i am planning on moving them out of the
green house into the garden.
when would be the best time in moving them into the garden?? also do i
have to do anything before i put them in the garden??
thanks
callum

--
callumw10

Plant them out ASAP and dont forget the slug pellets
David Hill

And speak to them reassuringly. No need to mention blackfly. Yet.

Jiri B - "compost mentis" in North Staffs.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"callumw10" wrote
I am currently growing some runner beans in my greenhouse. they are
currently about 6 inches tall. i am planning on moving them out of the
green house into the garden.
when would be the best time in moving them into the garden?? also do i
have to do anything before i put them in the garden??

In most of the UK any time after the Chelsea Flower Show, beginning of June.
Before planting out ensure they are well watered, water them again well
after planting and slug pellets.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 05-07-2009, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

beccabunga wrote:

As soon as possible - you are leaving it rather late.

Indeed they are. Mine are already over the wigwam, covered in flowers
and have some beans on around 4 inches long. First picking of beans due
any day now.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jiri B wrote:
On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 13:39:36 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

On 4 July, 17:37, callumw10
wrote:
Hi

I am currently growing some runner beans in my greenhouse. they are
currently about 6 inches tall. i am planning on moving them out of
the green house into the garden.
when would be the best time in moving them into the garden?? also
do i have to do anything before i put them in the garden??
thanks
callum

--
callumw10

Plant them out ASAP and dont forget the slug pellets
David Hill

And speak to them reassuringly. No need to mention blackfly. Yet.

lol

Old 05-07-2009, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jiri B wrote:

No need to mention blackfly. Yet.

I've never had much of a problem with blackfly on runner beans. Did have
a few on a small patch once a few years ago back in England, but not
enough to be of concern. I understand they can be quite a problem with
other bean varieties though.

The only pests that seems to be a problem are slugs and snails when the
plants are small and vulnerable, but once a foot or more high they leave
them alone. A few slug pellets when first planted out seem to be essential.

I used to grow mine in a greenhouse too, but have found the results
quite good just sowing directly into the ground - provided there are
slug pellets to prevent the emerging seedlings being devastated.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"callumw10" wrote in message

| Hi
|
| I am currently growing some runner beans in my greenhouse. they are
| currently about 6 inches tall. i am planning on moving them out of the
| green house into the garden.
| when would be the best time in moving them into the garden?? also do i
| have to do anything before i put them in the garden??
| thanks
| callum

They will get too hot in a greenhouse and the flowers will just drop without
forming a bean. Better het them outside asap

Old 05-07-2009, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Angela wrote:
"callumw10" wrote in message

| Hi
|
| I am currently growing some runner beans in my greenhouse. they are
| currently about 6 inches tall. i am planning on moving them out of the
| green house into the garden.
| when would be the best time in moving them into the garden?? also do i
| have to do anything before i put them in the garden??
| thanks
| callum

They will get too hot in a greenhouse and the flowers will just drop without
forming a bean. Better het them outside asap

Now here's a thing. I have always planted my runners in pots early so
that they get a good start, then plant out when all chance of frost has
gone. This year I was short of plants, so on planting them out I made up
for the shortfall with pushing seeds into the soil next to the bean
sticks. Here I am now with all the beans at the same height, however the
direct sown ones are much healthier looking with a deeper green and much
larger leaves, I look forward to seeing which crops first and best!

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.