Old 08-07-2009, 11:58 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default Training a Virginia creeper

In message , Charlie
Pridham writes
In article ,
says...
In message , Charlie
Pridham writes
In article ,
says...
Having sweated blood in removing a common ivy that was growing up
the gable
of our house, I'd now like to train a Virginia creeper up there instead.

There's been a VC growing by the gable end for some time but it's
never been
able to get a good enough grip on the painted pebbledash to gain
any height.
What's the best thing to train it up? Trellis, plastic mesh, vine eyes &
wire or something else?

If you have true Virginia creeper (parthenocissus quinquefolia) then it
will require some help to stay up there as it becomes woody and heavy and
will rip off the wall, a few wires and vine eyes should be enough. If
however you have what is often called wrongly virginia creeper in the
UK but is what the americans call Bostan Ivy (Parthenocissus
tricuspidata) then it should stay up on its own. They are easy to tell
apart and the clue is in the latin names quinquefolia = 5 leafleted
leaves, tricuspidata 3 lobed leaves. other than that they do similar
autumn colour

From the failure to climb I suspect that he has Parthenocissus vitacea,
which differs from Parthenocissus quinquefolia in lacking the adhesive
disks.

Does that have a synonym Stewart? its not a name I have every come
across, although Parthenocissus quinquefolia falling off smooth walls I
hear about all the time!

Parthenocissus vitacea syn inserta

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthenocissus_vitacea

But we now know that he has P. tricuspidata.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 08-07-2009, 01:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
[...]

From the failure to climb I suspect that he has Parthenocissus
vitacea, which differs from Parthenocissus quinquefolia in lacking
the adhesive disks.

No, it has the adhesive disks, they just didn't seem to either stick well or
be able to bear the weight of the foliage.

Tim

Old 08-07-2009, 09:29 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

[...]

From the failure to climb I suspect that he has Parthenocissus vitacea,
which differs from Parthenocissus quinquefolia in lacking the adhesive
disks.

Does that have a synonym Stewart? its not a name I have every come
across, although Parthenocissus quinquefolia falling off smooth walls I
hear about all the time!

Parthenocissus vitacea syn inserta

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthenocissus_vitacea

But we now know that he has P. tricuspidata.

True, but the other plant is more interesting cos I have never seen
one!!!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 08-07-2009, 10:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

[...]

From the failure to climb I suspect that he has Parthenocissus vitacea,
which differs from Parthenocissus quinquefolia in lacking the adhesive
disks.

Does that have a synonym Stewart? its not a name I have every come
across, although Parthenocissus quinquefolia falling off smooth walls I
hear about all the time!

Parthenocissus vitacea syn inserta

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthenocissus_vitacea

But we now know that he has P. tricuspidata.

True, but the other plant is more interesting cos I have never seen
one!!!

There appear to be more records of false Virginia creeper from the wild
in the UK than of Virginia creeper. There may be one half a mile away
from me - but I haven't got an undoubted Virginia creeper to compare it
with.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 08-07-2009, 10:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Tim Downie wrote:
Having sweated blood in removing a common ivy that was growing up the
gable of our house, I'd now like to train a Virginia creeper up there
instead.
There's been a VC growing by the gable end for some time but it's
never been able to get a good enough grip on the painted pebbledash
to gain any height. What's the best thing to train it up? Trellis,
plastic mesh, vine eyes & wire or something else?

Gripfill.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Old 08-07-2009, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-07 23:03:25 +0100, David in Normandy
said:

Judith in France wrote:

I have a self adhesive one with little suckers! *Vetchi something or
other????

Judith

Mine has little suckers too where the tendrils attach to the wall. I
don't know the variety though.

Possibly you both have Parthenocissus tricuspidata Veitchii? *It's one
of the most popular known as Virginia Creeper.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.

We do, don't we David? I bought a few with tendrils but not with
sticky pad suckers until the Veitchi one. I have half a dozen rooting
at the moment for friends and neighbours, fingers crossed.

Judith