Old 18-07-2009, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clematis dieback

One of our Clematis, "Blue Ice", has died back just as it was filling out
the position I put it in to cover. Is there anything I can do to promote new
growth or do I just trust in the fact that I planted it deeper in the ground
than it was in the pot and hope for regrowth from the stems below ground
level.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 18-07-2009, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
One of our Clematis, "Blue Ice", has died back just as it was filling out
the position I put it in to cover. Is there anything I can do to promote
new growth or do I just trust in the fact that I planted it deeper in the
ground than it was in the pot and hope for regrowth from the stems below
ground level.

If it's clematis wilt which has caused the dieback, then you did the right
thing by planting it deeply to begin with. It's a simple insurance policy.
You will, hopefully, get new growth fairly soon. If you don't it probably
wasn't clematis wilt.

I would avoid putting a new clematis in the same position if your "Blue Ice"
has gone to the great compost heap in the sky.

--
Jeff

Old 18-07-2009, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
Bob Hobden wrote:
One of our Clematis, "Blue Ice", has died back just as it was filling
out
the position I put it in to cover. Is there anything I can do to promote
new growth or do I just trust in the fact that I planted it deeper in the
ground than it was in the pot and hope for regrowth from the stems below
ground level.

If it's clematis wilt which has caused the dieback, then you did the right
thing by planting it deeply to begin with. It's a simple insurance
policy. You will, hopefully, get new growth fairly soon. If you don't it
probably wasn't clematis wilt.

I would avoid putting a new clematis in the same position if your "Blue
Ice" has gone to the great compost heap in the sky.

--
Jeff

I have had a clematis which has grown but died back just before flowering,
for the past 2 years, I put compost around the base each year, this year it
has excelled itself.
If it grows there is hope.
Cineman

Old 18-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Registered User

[quote='Jeff Layman[_2_];856811']Bob Hobden wrote:
One of our Clematis, "Blue Ice", has died back just as it was filling out
the position I put it in to cover. Is there anything I can do to promote
new growth or do I just trust in the fact that I planted it deeper in the
ground than it was in the pot and hope for regrowth from the stems below
ground level.

Cut it back to the ground now. Keep it moist. It should start to reshoot. If it doesn't - and if it shows no signs of life next year, start again!
Old 19-07-2009, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote ...
One of our Clematis, "Blue Ice", has died back just as it was filling out
the position I put it in to cover. Is there anything I can do to promote
new growth or do I just trust in the fact that I planted it deeper in the
ground than it was in the pot and hope for regrowth from the stems below
ground level.

Thanks all.
So it's "wait and see", I'm good at that. :-)
Shame, it was looking beautiful and healthy, lots of large flowers and buds
and suddenly limp and lifeless.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 20-07-2009, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...

"Bob Hobden" wrote ...
One of our Clematis, "Blue Ice", has died back just as it was filling out
the position I put it in to cover. Is there anything I can do to promote
new growth or do I just trust in the fact that I planted it deeper in the
ground than it was in the pot and hope for regrowth from the stems below
ground level.

Thanks all.
So it's "wait and see", I'm good at that. :-)
Shame, it was looking beautiful and healthy, lots of large flowers and buds
and suddenly limp and lifeless.

Bob although "wilt" often gets the blame it often happens after the
weather turns rougher after a nice spell and is down to mechanical
damage. It is very rare for clematis to die from these events whatever
the cause. and despite the fact that the wilt fungus "can" cause wilting
it is air born and does not live in soil so it is perfectly possibly to
replant in the future. However the wisdom of planting in a place where a
clematis has failed to get going is another matter!
Although a relatively new variety Blue Ice is a group 2 clematis and has
already formed a reputation as a wilter. I suspect it will be one that
gives problems for a few years then settles down.
Heavy watering in Late May early June can help as it reduces the stress
on the plant as it approuches flowering. It is for instance almost
unheard of for plants in pots on the nursery to wilt due to being
protected from wind and having a regular water supply.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 20-07-2009, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote ...
[...]

Thanks Charlie, we will have to wait and see. It's against a WSW facing 6ft
wall right next to our pond, about 12 inches width of soil but well fertile,
so it's a bit precarious to get to** but I had a good look at it yesterday
and there is no sign of any growth but one can only hope. If it's turned up
it's toes I'll just have to get another large flowered one, preferably a
white, to take it's place.
** I've fallen in twice and always in the depth of winter and it's a metre
deep!
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Dierama dieback Victoria Clare United Kingdom 15 01-07-2004 08:13 AM
English Box dieback - help required James Dawson Australia 0 28-02-2004 03:18 AM
Viburnum dieback Mike Prager Gardening 2 23-09-2003 03:06 AM
leaf dieback on newly deflasked orchids Gideon Singer Orchids 5 04-03-2003 01:28 AM
[IBC] Maple dieback (in my garage?!) Joe St. Lawrence Bonsai 2 11-02-2003 06:55 PM