Old 21-07-2009, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OTish: 20 most widespread "weeds"

I've been making notes about the local flora. Should this be of mild
interest, these are the 20 most widespread (not necessarily the
commonest) species - the figures in brackets are the number of "sites"
in which they are present, where a site averages about a square
kilometre. No grasses, as I can't tell them apart. There are also biases
against late-flowering plants, and arable weeds, so take the figures
with a pinch of salt.

1. Nettle - Urtica dioica (93)
2. Cleavers - Galium aparine (89)
3. Creeping Buttercup - Ranunculus repens (75)
4. Elder - Sambucus nigra (75)
5. Dandelion - Taraxacum officinale agg (73)
6. Hogweed - Heracleum sphondylium (72)
7. White Clover - Trifolium repens (71)
8. Broad-leaved Dock - Rumex obtusifolius (65)
9. Cow Parsley - Anthriscus sylvestris (63)
10. Daisy - Bellis perennis (63)
11. Bramble - Rubus fruticosus agg. (62)
12. Sycamore - Acer pseudoplatanus (61)
13. Common Ragwort - Senecio jacobaea (60)
14. Creeping Thistle - Cirsium arvense (59)
15. Ribwort (Plantain) - Plantago lanceolata (59)
16. Garlic Mustard - Alliaria petiolata (57)
17. Foxglove - Digitalis purpurea (57)
18. Ash - Fraxinus excelsior (57)
19. Spear Thistle - Cirsium vulgare (56)
20. Rosebay Willow-herb - Chamaerion angustifolium (55)

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 21-07-2009, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
I've been making notes about the local flora.

Where is 'local' in this context?

--
Kay
Old 21-07-2009, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 21, 9:41*pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley

OK, Stewart, so you've been sneaking around my garden. Now tell me how
I get rid of them all!
Old 22-07-2009, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Wot! No ground elder?

mark

Old 22-07-2009, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
mark wrote:

I've been making notes about the local flora. Should this be of mild
interest, these are the 20 most widespread (not necessarily the commonest)
species - the figures in brackets are the number of "sites" in which they
are present, where a site averages about a square kilometre. No grasses,
as I can't tell them apart. There are also biases against late-flowering
plants, and arable weeds, so take the figures with a pinch of salt.

Wot! No ground elder?

It's rather more sensitive to conditions than most people realise;
it needs part shade and either short grass or very little ground
cover. As that is precisely what most gardens provide, it is a
major pest there, but it isn't all that universal in the wild.

However, I am extremely surprised at the lack of field bindweed,
but it is extremely easy to overlook unless it is flowering.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 22-07-2009, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 09:09:24 +0100, "mark"

[...]

Wot no couch grass?

"No grasses, as I can't tell them apart." Couch grass is recorded from
my allotment and my garden, because I weed out the roots, but elsewhere
it is overlooked.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 22-07-2009, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , mark
writes

[...]

Ground Elder comes in at # 28 (with Bush Vetch). Nick has explained why
it's less widespread than many other species.

mark

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 22-07-2009, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
writes
In article ,
mark wrote:

I've been making notes about the local flora. Should this be of mild
interest, these are the 20 most widespread (not necessarily the commonest)
species - the figures in brackets are the number of "sites" in which they
are present, where a site averages about a square kilometre. No grasses,
as I can't tell them apart. There are also biases against late-flowering
plants, and arable weeds, so take the figures with a pinch of salt.

Wot! No ground elder?

It's rather more sensitive to conditions than most people realise;
it needs part shade and either short grass or very little ground
cover. As that is precisely what most gardens provide, it is a
major pest there, but it isn't all that universal in the wild.

However, I am extremely surprised at the lack of field bindweed,
but it is extremely easy to overlook unless it is flowering.

There was a field bindweed by a footpath along the edge of a field about
a mile away, but that seems to have disappeared. The other two sites I
know are both about 5 miles away. (Perhaps I do overlook it when not
flowering, but Convolvulaceae collectively wouldn't make the top 20.)

I have 3 sites for black bindweed, which may also be easily overlooked.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 22-07-2009, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
"No grasses, as I can't tell them apart." Couch grass is recorded from
my allotment and my garden, because I weed out the roots, but elsewhere
it is overlooked.

I don't think most people would recognise it apart from its roots. It's
a very striking plant when in flower.

Well, relatively speaking, for a grass ;-)
--
Kay

Old 22-07-2009, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
I was surprised that hogweed was so near the top.

So was I. It doesn't grow in great colonies, but it appears that it
grows just about anywhere.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 22-07-2009, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
Do you mean the little pink one or the big white one?

The little pink one is field bindweed (Convolvulus arvensis), so I
presume that's what Nick means.. The big white one is large bindweed
(Calystegia silvatica). The less big white one is hedge bindweed
(Calystegia sepium). The big pink one is hairy bindweed (Calystegia
pulchra). The very little whitish one is black bindweed (Fallopia
convolvulus), a relative of Japanese knotweed.

The little pink one seems to like relatively light dryish soil., the
big white one is happiest when it has something to climb up.

It may be that much of the soil round here is too heavy for field
bindweed - there's a lot of boulder clay about.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 22-07-2009, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 17:55:42 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message , K
writes

I was surprised that hogweed was so near the top.

So was I. It doesn't grow in great colonies, but it appears that it
grows just about anywhere.

It is growing for miles along a local motorway ATM

Ah, road hogweed. A common cause of congestion.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-07-2009, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
In message , K
writes
Do you mean the little pink one or the big white one?

The little pink one is field bindweed (Convolvulus arvensis), so I
presume that's what Nick means.. The big white one is large bindweed
(Calystegia silvatica). The less big white one is hedge bindweed
(Calystegia sepium). The big pink one is hairy bindweed (Calystegia
pulchra). The very little whitish one is black bindweed (Fallopia
convolvulus), a relative of Japanese knotweed.

The little pink one seems to like relatively light dryish soil., the
big white one is happiest when it has something to climb up.

It may be that much of the soil round here is too heavy for field
bindweed - there's a lot of boulder clay about.

Not a lot here - millstone grit overlain by clay. The only plants I know
are growing in stone walls.

--
Kay

Illegal Steroid use widespread in Baseball and only black players get vilified David Singh Ponds 0 25-12-2007 11:08 PM
how widespread is the cambium layer a_plutonium Plant Science 5 03-06-2007 06:04 PM
I need advice on this difficulty. Weeds weeds weeds. Miss Perspicacia Tick United Kingdom 12 18-07-2005 09:45 PM
OTish snake story kathy Ponds 3 25-02-2005 03:51 PM
Weeds...Weeds...Weeds J. Farnsworth Wallaby Gardening 4 14-03-2003 11:09 PM