Old 22-07-2009, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rob Rob is offline

Default Pruning a young tree

I bought a cherry tree (not the fruit kind) in a supermarket a few
months ago, and plonked it in my small yard against a fence by lifting a
couple of the block paving stones. It's not exactly shaded, but only
gets about three hours of direct sun a day.

It seems to have taken fine, with lots of leaves on the two 'side'
branches. The problem is the central branch which seems to have gone out
of control. It's just keeps reaching for the sky, and has probably grown
4 inches in the past week. There's lots of little branch and leaf
activity, but it's all hanging off a very spindly centre branch. I've
supported this centre branch by tying it to a bamboo cane, but now it's
gone beyond the 5 foot cane on its spindly ascent, and is lops over to
one side. The other branches are about 2 feet below the the tip, on a
tree that's about 6 feet high.

I looked on the RHS web site, and they seem to say 'don't prune the
centre branch'.

Any ideas please? I am so obviously not a gardener, but i've quite taken
to this creation of mine.

Thanks, Rob
Old 22-07-2009, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Rob writes
[...]

Pruning cherries is a bit dodgy as they are susceptible to disease
entering through the cut ends.

I'd be inclined to leave it to its own devices. It will slowly thicken
up, and straighten as it thickens, so you will always have a floppy bit
at the top, but the floppy bit will start higher and higher up each
year.

--
Kay
Old 22-07-2009, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-22 10:31:45 +0100, Rob said:

[...]

Is it a weeping cherry? What name is on the label? If there isn't
one, ask the gc you bought it from if they know. If you do have the
name, someone here may be able to give you some help.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 22-07-2009, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rob" wrote in message
om...
[...]

You need to think quite seriously about having such a tree in a small
yard because, if it is a Japanese cherry blossom tree, it will
eventually grow quite large and become a nuisance. Its rooting system
may also become very troublesome. Try and establish its species and
variety so that we can be more specific.

Old 22-07-2009, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-22 10:31:45 +0100, Rob said:

[...]

If it is a Winter Flowering Cherry, mind how and WHEN you prune it.

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 22-07-2009, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rob Rob is offline

Rob wrote:
[...]

Many thanks for the replies. Seems I hadn't thought this through ;-)

Tree type - I really don't know - it was from Aldi for a fiver, and I've
thrown the label away. I'm pretty sure it just said 'cherry tree' with a
picture of a tree with that pink blossom. It had a black tiny beetle
infestation early on, accompanied by ants. I saw that off with systemic
insecticide and greased paper around the trunk.

Placement - it gets worse. It's about a 2 feet from a substantial 10
foot wall/bank down the to the house below. My plan was to just keep it
at about 7/8 feet, with a misplaced notion that the roots wouldn't do
anything spectacular. Thing is, there are lots of trees along the
boundary line of other houses. Trees without substantial route systems I
suspect.

Looks like an uprooting is in order? Some pics:

http://patchoulian.googlepages.com/tree

On this showing a good job I don't have children. Or pets. Or clothes
that need ironing. Etc.

Rob
Old 22-07-2009, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Rob writes
Tree type - I really don't know - it was from Aldi for a fiver, and
I've thrown the label away. I'm pretty sure it just said 'cherry tree'
with a picture of a tree with that pink blossom. It had a black tiny
beetle infestation early on, accompanied by ants. I saw that off with
systemic insecticide and greased paper around the trunk.

Placement - it gets worse. It's about a 2 feet from a substantial 10
foot wall/bank down the to the house below. My plan was to just keep it
at about 7/8 feet, with a misplaced notion that the roots wouldn't do
anything spectacular. Thing is, there are lots of trees along the
boundary line of other houses. Trees without substantial route systems
I suspect.

Looks like an uprooting is in order? Some pics:

Just because something will eventually get too big doesn't mean to say
you have to uproot it straight away. You can always enjoy it for a few
years then get rid of it.

But I would be a bit worried about that retaining wall, and I'd want to
make sure the roots couldn't start damaging that - hopefully others will
be able to advise you on creating a barrier, or replanting the whole
thing in a buried container.

--
Kay
Old 22-07-2009, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-22 19:00:31 +0100, K said:

Rob writes
[...]

I hate the idea of a tree being in the wrong place, enjoyed for a few
years and then cut down. I'm afraid that one looks (to me) like one
that I'd pot up and give to someone as a present! In its place I'd
suggest a Sarcococca or Daphne for winter scent and not taking up root
room.

Old 23-07-2009, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes

I hate the idea of a tree being in the wrong place, enjoyed for a few
years and then cut down.

I can never see why its any worse than taking a whole row of trees and
keeping them permanently pruned to a uniform 6 ft ;-)

--
Kay
Old 23-07-2009, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-23 14:36:27 +0100, K said:

Sacha writes

I hate the idea of a tree being in the wrong place, enjoyed for a few
years and then cut down.

I can never see why its any worse than taking a whole row of trees and
keeping them permanently pruned to a uniform 6 ft ;-)

But those are still living! And don't get me onto leylandii... ;-))

Old 23-07-2009, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes
On 2009-07-23 14:36:27 +0100, K said:

Sacha writes

I hate the idea of a tree being in the wrong place, enjoyed for a
few years and then cut down.

I can never see why its any worse than taking a whole row of trees
and keeping them permanently pruned to a uniform 6 ft ;-)

But those are still living! And don't get me onto leylandii... ;-))

But being tortured! ;-)
--
Kay
Old 23-07-2009, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha writes
On 2009-07-23 14:36:27 +0100, K said:

Sacha writes

I hate the idea of a tree being in the wrong place, enjoyed for a few
years and then cut down.
I can never see why its any worse than taking a whole row of trees
and keeping them permanently pruned to a uniform 6 ft ;-)

But those are still living! And don't get me onto leylandii... ;-))

But being tortured! ;-)

So it's death or torture, eh? Tough choice!

Old 23-07-2009, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha writes
On 2009-07-23 14:36:27 +0100, K said:

Sacha writes

I hate the idea of a tree being in the wrong place, enjoyed for a few
years and then cut down.
I can never see why its any worse than taking a whole row of trees
and keeping them permanently pruned to a uniform 6 ft ;-)

But those are still living! And don't get me onto leylandii... ;-))

But being tortured! ;-)

So it's death or torture, eh? Tough choice!
--
Sacha

So you don't do any pruning don't you?

How odd!! Most people do!!!!

Old 23-07-2009, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes

Sacha writes
On 2009-07-23 14:36:27 +0100, K said:

Sacha writes

I hate the idea of a tree being in the wrong place, enjoyed for a
years and then cut down.
I can never see why its any worse than taking a whole row of
trees and keeping them permanently pruned to a uniform 6 ft ;-)
But those are still living! And don't get me onto leylandii...
;-))

But being tortured! ;-)

So it's death or torture, eh? Tough choice!

Well, I inflict both on my trees :-)
--
Kay
Old 23-07-2009, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha writes

Sacha writes
On 2009-07-23 14:36:27 +0100, K said:

Sacha writes

I hate the idea of a tree being in the wrong place, enjoyed for a years
and then cut down.
I can never see why its any worse than taking a whole row of trees
and keeping them permanently pruned to a uniform 6 ft ;-)
But those are still living! And don't get me onto leylandii... ;-))
But being tortured! ;-)

So it's death or torture, eh? Tough choice!

Well, I inflict both on my trees :-)

But with torture there's always the chance they'll let you live! ;-)