Old 23-07-2009, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default garlic

Hello,

I have some garlic growing but some of the stems have been bent either
by the wind or an animal. I notice the plat appears to be growing
cloves at the point where the stem has been bent. Has anyone noticed
this before? Why does it happen? What should I do? Is the plant
damaged: do I need to harvest it now, or will it continue to grow?

Thanks.
Old 23-07-2009, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Fred" wrote
I have some garlic growing but some of the stems have been bent either
by the wind or an animal. I notice the plat appears to be growing
cloves at the point where the stem has been bent. Has anyone noticed
this before? Why does it happen? What should I do? Is the plant
damaged: do I need to harvest it now, or will it continue to grow?

We harvested our Garlic about 4 weeks ago. If you planted yours at the
correct time in Sept/Oct then it should be ready by now with all the leaves
falling over and going brown. If you leave it too long, for all the leaves
to turn brown, the head will start to open out and the individual cloves
start to grow again, then it is of little use and certainly won't keep.
That said some varieties of Garlic do produce a flower spike that turns into
small cloves, these will grow into a garlic head in a couple of years or so
if planted, with luck.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 23-07-2009, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Fred" wrote
[...]

Yes indeed, the leaves fell over and browned on mine. Sadly on
harvesting they were much smaller than usual, any ideas as to why that
might been? Previous years they have been fine these were treated the
same, except they were planted in a different area. Anyway I also
planted some in early Spring, so I am hoping they will be bigger!

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Old 23-07-2009, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Fred wrote:

I have some garlic growing but some of the stems have been bent either
by the wind or an animal. I notice the plat appears to be growing
cloves at the point where the stem has been bent. Has anyone noticed
this before?

It's called "side bolting;" I see it occasionally on softneck garlic that
otherwise doesn't produce the scape with little bulbs on tip. Which, by
the way, should be cut off unless you're sure of really good soil
fertility. As Bob said, garlic should be dug/pulled before all the tops
have browned, or it will be overmature, with splitting open bulbs, etc.
There's some information on my personal web page in the .sig below, though
it has an American accent.... most of the information should be fairly
portable.
FWIW, I'm in the midst of harvesting mine, in the Northeastern U.S.

Old 23-07-2009, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 16:29:07 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Fred" wrote
I have some garlic growing but some of the stems have been bent either
by the wind or an animal. I notice the plat appears to be growing
cloves at the point where the stem has been bent. Has anyone noticed
this before? Why does it happen? What should I do? Is the plant
damaged: do I need to harvest it now, or will it continue to grow?

I had some garlic once which I grew for several years, which grew
clusters of small bulbils part way up the stem. Maybe you have this
variety.

Pam in Bristol

Old 23-07-2009, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Fred" wrote in message
Hello,

I have some garlic growing but some of the stems have been bent either
by the wind or an animal. I notice the plat appears to be growing
cloves at the point where the stem has been bent. Has anyone noticed
this before? Why does it happen? What should I do? Is the plant
damaged: do I need to harvest it now, or will it continue to grow?

Thanks.

My garlic was harvested about a month ago. It's spectacular, having had
dried chicken poo applied to the soil. Massive juicy cloves ;-))
I've peeled and frozen some, the rest are hanging from the beams in my
kitchen.

Tina

Old 24-07-2009, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

"Fred" wrote in message
Hello,

I have some garlic growing but some of the stems have been bent either
by the wind or an animal. I notice the plat appears to be growing
cloves at the point where the stem has been bent. Has anyone noticed
this before? Why does it happen? What should I do? Is the plant
damaged: do I need to harvest it now, or will it continue to grow?

Thanks.

My garlic was harvested about a month ago. It's spectacular, having had
dried chicken poo applied to the soil. Massive juicy cloves ;-))
I've peeled and frozen some, the rest are hanging from the beams in my
kitchen.

Tina

Full agreement........dried chicken poo! or sow the cloves immediatly in
the same place where you harvested your spuds in Aug/Sept.

I tried dried chicken manure for the first time last year and the results
are dramatic for ....well....everything, but the garlic has been dramatic
with the planting after spuds thingy.

My grandad used to do this Aug/Sept sowing and I do too for some MASSIVE
crops

When your oven is on, roast a couple of freshly dug entire bulbs without
any oil or anything (bit like a jacket potato) I mean the entire bulb as
you dig it up.

Sweet.

Good for your heart and is not TOO pungent on your breath.

Take care
Part_No
Old 24-07-2009, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Part_No" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

"Fred" wrote in message
[...]

I'm lucky I don't have to buy it. I have my own chickens. They also
recycle my edible weeds.
I have a very large garden and my 30 chickens can struggle to eat all my
weeds, tbh.
They love to eat them, though. Maybe I need 50 chickens g

Tina

Old 24-07-2009, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 24, 7:03*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Part_No" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

"Fred" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Christina, do you sell eggs commercially, I only have 3 chickens but I
can't keep up with 21 eggs per week.

Judith
Old 25-07-2009, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote in
:

On Jul 24, 7:03*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Part_No" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

"Fred" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

21 eggs from 3 chickens is fantastic, I get less than that from 7.
I buy grain (wheat) to feed mine, so should I feed them weeds? or get a
stock which is similar to yours in breed?

Mine are Rode Island Red and they look very healthy.

There is nothing quite like having your breakfast from your own fowl, but
they are very high in colesterol aren't they.

My excess are boiled and pickled in white vinegar in jars around 1 litre,
though as i said they are very high in colesterol.

Give them away to friends as I do and maybe you will never have to buy
your favourite seeds ever again.(I use Victorian seeds and hardly ever
get diseases)

Maybe I should use F1+2's but I don't need to yet.....yet

Old 25-07-2009, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 25, 2:59*pm, "Part_No" wrote:
Judith in France wrote :

On Jul 24, 7:03*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Part_No" wrote in message

.. .

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

"Fred" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

My neighbours have stopped laying because of the heat. I think mine
are such good layers as they really are free range, I meet them when
out walking and I often spy them down in a distant field. I buy grain
which has shell in it, (thanks to Aries Val for that). I also feed
then as much grain, corn as they want as my farmer neighbour sells me
20 kilos for 2 euros. I don't like pickled eggs I'm afraid. I have
started whisking up half a dozen and putting them in the freezer for
cooking, quiches etc in Winter. It's difficult to give many away as
everyone seems to have chickens round here. Mine are the same breed
as yours. Good luck.

Judith
Old 25-07-2009, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 25, 9:32*pm, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 09:04:05 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Jul 25, 2:59*pm, "Part_No" wrote:
Judith in France wrote :

On Jul 24, 7:03*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Part_No" wrote in message

.. .

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

"Fred" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

and their chickens too? )

On Eurosport live Tour de France coverage this afternoon.

Commentator A: The scenery here is just like in Languedoc.
long pause
Commentator B: We are in Languedoc.
--

Martin

LOL some time ago they were very near me.

Judith
Old 26-07-2009, 01:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote:

My neighbours have stopped laying because of the heat. I think mine
are such good layers as they really are free range, I meet them when
out walking and I often spy them down in a distant field.

I am soooo sorry Judith... I had to read this more than once to
realise you were talking about chickens... !!!
Old 26-07-2009, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009, Part_No wrote
Judith in France wrote in
:

On Jul 24, 7:03*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Part_No" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

"Fred" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

The cholesterol thing is not such an issue any more. Apparently there
is good cholesterol as well as the bad stuff, and eggs have both, indeed
are positively good for cholesterol levels overall:

http://www2.surrey.ac.uk/mediacentre...g_diet_cracks_
cholesterol_issue.htm

you may have to cut-and-paste that as it's a long URL, or try this:
http://tinyurl.com/dcdcag

Anyway, the new consensus seems to be, eat lots of eggs!

--
Kate B

PS 'elvira' is spamtrapped - please reply to 'elviraspam' at cockaigne dot org dot uk if you
want to reply personally
Old 26-07-2009, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Part_No" wrote in message
Judith in France wrote in
:

On Jul 24, 7:03 pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Part_No" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

"Fred" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Wheat is not sufficient in protein to keep hens laying properly. They need
layers pellets 16% protein as their main food.

Tweed

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Speaking of garlic... John S. DeBoo Edible Gardening 4 29-05-2003 10:20 PM
Elphant Garlic Bill Edible Gardening 11 29-05-2003 05:20 PM
Wild garlic Chris Hogg United Kingdom 0 30-03-2003 02:33 AM
Does garlic set seed? Robert cubitt United Kingdom 2 20-10-2002 09:39 PM