Old 25-07-2009, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Seeing off an aggressive blackbird?

Dave Liquorice wrote:
Try some fine branching birch twigs stuck in the ground every 6 to 8"
or fine dark coloured string/cotten thread tied between sticks a few
inches above the ground.

Thanks, Dave. Have covered all the inbetween areas of the garden with
bark (very good-looking landscaping variety), so don't want to mar the
effect. Will give the apple a go.

Eddy.

Old 25-07-2009, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:
I encourage the birds into our gardens, so you know what I would rather
have.

Oh, we love birds, Mike, don't get me wrong. The more the better and
they do root around all over the garden. We seem rich in worms here,
probably due to the effluent from the septic tank dispersing under the
ornamental garden! Anyway, they're welcome to forage around all over,
but in this particular little spot . . . I ain't 'aving it! :-)

Eddy.

Old 25-07-2009, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Broadback writes
I have a tub with a blueberry in it. Loads of berries, looking forward
to a pie, but they never seemed to ripen. Early one morning I found out
why, a couple of blackbirds were picking the ripe and almost ripe ones
for themselves. So I covered it with netting. The little bs now stand
on the netting and attack the shrub, does not seem to faze them at all.
Guess I will have to make a frame and use that to keep the netting well
above the bush.

I have a pergola with apple trees trained up and over it - a sort of
tunnel of apples. The blackbirds opt for an easy life - the only ones
which get pecked are those which are in easy reach of a blackbird
standing on one of the cross bars of the pergola. So I'm not in the
least bit surprised at them simply standing on your netting.
--
Kay
Old 26-07-2009, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
[...]

I have learned to accept that the odd blackbird will acquire
a taste for strawberries and invade my greenhouse accordingly.

I can be picking at one end of a bench and the cheeky bird can be pecking
berries at the other !

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 26-07-2009, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Eddy" wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:
I encourage the birds into our gardens, so you know what I would rather
have.

Oh, we love birds, Mike, don't get me wrong. The more the better and
they do root around all over the garden. We seem rich in worms here,
probably due to the effluent from the septic tank dispersing under the
ornamental garden! Anyway, they're welcome to forage around all over,
but in this particular little spot . . . I ain't 'aving it! :-)

Fair enough - but please do not go down the cat as a solution method.
Pet cats should be homed like pet rabbits, only in a cage when outside.

Upturned wire mesh planters or raised chicken mesh suitably shaped, would
be my solution.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Seeing the light on compact fluoros Graptol Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 20-04-2003 06:24 AM
Aggressive SAEs? Mike K Freshwater Aquaria Plants 10 20-04-2003 06:20 AM
Aggressive... guppies!?!? kush Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:15 AM
Seeing the obvious... Cat Gardening 4 12-04-2003 01:44 PM
Seeing the light on compact fluoros Graptol Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 08-03-2003 11:50 PM