Old 26-07-2009, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Glyphosate in France

On Jul 25, 10:46*pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Judith in France" *wrote ...
*"Bob Hobden" *wrote:

"Bob Minchin" wrote ..

I think it has been mentioned before here that glyphosate is available in
France much cheaper that in UK.
I shall be going to France on holiday for most of September and will
have
this on my shopping list.
Where is the best/cheapest places to buy this stuff bearing mind I only
have sufficient French to get typically get a meal and a bed for the
night
and could not support a conversation on the relative concentrations and
applications of the stuff!!

What are the brand names to lookout for please and does it come in the
bewildering range of concentrations that we get here?
I'd like 360 or 540 gms per litre so I can make up my own dilutions.
Is glyphosate the same word in French?
Is désherbant the key word to be looking for?

Hopefully some of our French resident readers can help.

Something else you can buy in France in large supermache that is difficult
to buy in the UK is "Owatrol" in 1 litre tins. It is the bees knees for
coating stuff to prevent rust on metal, paint it on and it creeps into the
smallest gap and then sets, and it works as an undercoat too. I use it on
all sorts of stuff but especially my old Landrover (1986) "allotment shed"
as it's known.

Now you tell me! *Here's a pic of railings and gates that I have
painted!! *The hard way, primer first and then 2 coats of the black
stuff. *The second pic, showing my pots, don't show the railings which
is good as we didn't want anything to obscure our view.

http://i31.tinypic.com/15eh4xl.jpght...om/2pr8pvk.jpg

I would still look out for the product as if you get any sign of rust coming
through, around the joins usually, you can just paint that bit with it and
it will creep into the crack and seal it so it won't rust further.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Thanks Bob, I will certainly get some as I still have another gate to
do on the other side of the house. It is over 110 years old, very
heavy but with bad rust on the bottom, so I will give the stuff a try.
I am having new bits welded on the bottom so hopefully with this
product the gate should be good for a good few years yet.

Judith
Old 26-07-2009, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On Jul 25, 4:53 pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
[...]

http://i30.tinypic.com/2pr8pvk.jpg
Judith

Lovely pics, Judith. I'm a fan of walls and railings combined. Always very
smart, and relatively unobtrusive. Love the stonework.

Spider

Old 26-07-2009, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 26, 11:56*am, "Spider" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in ...
[...]

Thanks Spider, the railings had to be put on as our dog could jump the
wall! The stonework is Auvergne stone, it is the typical way of
building here. You will see that part of our house is stone and the
other is crepied , the walls were too damaged to repoint in that area;
it had peach trees espaliered all over that bit of the house, all were
pretty diseased so we removed them.

Judith
Old 26-07-2009, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 26, 12:12*pm, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 11:56:02 +0100, "Spider" wrote:

"Judith in France" wrote in message

snip
http://i30.tinypic.com/2pr8pvk.jpg
Judith

Lovely pics, Judith. *I'm a fan of walls and railings combined. *Always very
smart, and relatively unobtrusive. *Love the stonework.

Ignoring the spooky woman in white on the wall. Judith will be selling holy
water from the pool next
--

Martin

What spooky white woman on the wall?? My pool is not baptised Lourdes
BTW :-)

Judith
Old 26-07-2009, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-26 12:12:13 +0100, Judith in France
said:

[...]

It all looks absolutely lovely and immaculately kept, too. I envy you
the sunshine and the pool as I gaze out at a misty, grey and windy day
here!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-07-2009, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-26 12:24:15 +0100, Judith in France
said:

On Jul 26, 12:12*pm, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 11:56:02 +0100, "Spider" wrot

e:

"Judith in France" wrote in message
..

.
snip
http://i30.tinypic.com/2pr8pvk.jpg
Judith

Lovely pics, Judith. *I'm a fan of walls and railings combined. *Alw

ays very
smart, and relatively unobtrusive. *Love the stonework.

Ignoring the spooky woman in white on the wall. Judith will be selling ho

ly
water from the pool next
--

Martin

What spooky white woman on the wall?? My pool is not baptised Lourdes
BTW :-)

Judith

Look more closely at your parasol! ;-)

Old 26-07-2009, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-26 12:12:13 +0100, Judith in France
said:

[...]

I've just come inside Sacha, I was in the pool with the robot, trying
to get it to go round the pool, not round in circles. I fear I am
probably well burnt on my back and arms, it's blazing out there. I
will turn on the pump in the well tonight, next to the pool; the
garden is tinder dry and my pots now need watering twice daily.

Judith
Old 26-07-2009, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-26 12:24:15 +0100, Judith in France
said:

[...]

Good grief, it looks like our Lady of Lourdes!

Judith
Old 26-07-2009, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 06:55:48 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

On 2009-07-26 12:24:15 +0100, Judith in France
said:

[...]

Roll up! Roll up! Get your holy water here!

Good grief! What have I started???

Glyphosate turns into Holy Water! No wonder it is so expensive!

Thanks for all the replies to my original question. The information is
bound to permit me to round-up some supplies!

Bob
Old 26-07-2009, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-26 14:55:20 +0100, Judith in France
said:

On Jul 26, 12:44*pm, Sacha wrote:
snip*The stonework is Auvergne stone, it is the typical way of
[...]

You can go off people.... ;-)

Old 26-07-2009, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-26 14:55:48 +0100, Judith in France

On 2009-07-26 12:24:15 +0100, Judith in France
said:

[...]

Only lacking the blue bit!

Old 26-07-2009, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-26 12:24:15 +0100, Judith in France
said:

[...]

Along with the Holy Water you'll make a killing. ;-)

Old 26-07-2009, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-26 14:55:48 +0100, Judith in France

On 2009-07-26 12:24:15 +0100, Judith in France
said:

[...]

Got her back to us or what?

That must be it - silly moi.

Old 26-07-2009, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-26 14:55:48 +0100, Judith in France

On 2009-07-26 12:24:15 +0100, Judith in France
said:

[...]

She is very modest.
Maybe it is our Lady of Fatima or just Wilkie Collins Woman in White on a stick.
--

Martin

Nah the Fatima one is completed different! Now have you seen the
Child of Prague, I have, it's a doll!!!

Judith
Old 26-07-2009, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Le Sun, 26 Jul 2009 16:10:08 +0100, Bob Minchin a écrit :

Glyphosate turns into Holy Water! No wonder it is so expensive!

Considering the amount of glyphosate we have in the rivers... not expensive
enought.

--
Salut la compagnie

Mon Beau Jardin est derrière La Grille Verte
http://www.la-grille-verte.net