Old 25-07-2009, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Glyphosate in France

I think it has been mentioned before here that glyphosate is available
in France much cheaper that in UK.
I shall be going to France on holiday for most of September and will
have this on my shopping list.
Where is the best/cheapest places to buy this stuff bearing mind I only
have sufficient French to get typically get a meal and a bed for the
night and could not support a conversation on the relative
concentrations and applications of the stuff!!

What are the brand names to lookout for please and does it come in the
bewildering range of concentrations that we get here?
I'd like 360 or 540 gms per litre so I can make up my own dilutions.
Is glyphosate the same word in French?
Is désherbant the key word to be looking for?

Hopefully some of our French resident readers can help.

TIA

Bob
Old 25-07-2009, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Minchin wrote:
I think it has been mentioned before here that glyphosate is available
in France much cheaper that in UK.
I shall be going to France on holiday for most of September and will
have this on my shopping list.
Where is the best/cheapest places to buy this stuff bearing mind I only
have sufficient French to get typically get a meal and a bed for the
night and could not support a conversation on the relative
concentrations and applications of the stuff!!

What are the brand names to lookout for please and does it come in the
bewildering range of concentrations that we get here?
I'd like 360 or 540 gms per litre so I can make up my own dilutions.
Is glyphosate the same word in French?
Is désherbant the key word to be looking for?

Hopefully some of our French resident readers can help.

TIA

Bob

Prices have got up somewhat recently. You can pick up a 5 litre
container of concentrate for around 30 euros. I use this at a rate of
50ml in 5 litres of water in the sprayer; though this is perhaps a
little stronger than needed. I forget the official dose. It is called
glyphosate the same. Pronounce it glee-fo-sat and you should not have
any problems. I get mine from E'Lecler - the supermarket chain have some
agricultural sections in their DIY branches. How much is it in the UK now?

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 25-07-2009, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk
"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
[...]

This reminds me of an incident years ago when I took my family to
Switzerland for a holiday. We lived in a large house with a very large
garden and were trouble with Moles. We found in a little village shop Moth
Balls and we had been informed that if you pop these down the Mole Holes,
the Moles go away, but we could not get any in the UK.

The very broken conversation in the shop was "Yes we do understand that
these are not sweets and no we are not going to eat them but put them in the
ground to deter Moles"

I don't think they understood the last bit, but we made sure they understood
that we would not eat them. The children were about 1, 6, 8 and 10. Just the
'Sweet Eating' age!!

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk

Old 25-07-2009, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David in Normandy wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:
[...]

Thanks David,

There is is a L'Eclerc Jardi near where we visit so I'll try there. I've
not even looked at the prices in our local garden centre - their pricing
is extortionate for most things. On ebay the 360gm/l variety can be had
for £18 plus postage for 1 litre. They claim this will do 3000 sqm.

Regards

Bob
Old 25-07-2009, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 25, 11:57*am, Bob Minchin wrote:
I think it has been mentioned before here that glyphosate is available
in France much cheaper that in UK.
I shall be going to France on holiday for most of September and will
have this on my shopping list.

Is this the horticultural version of the "booze cruise"?
Will the customs officer believe that you are just going to have a
weed party?

Old 25-07-2009, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 Bob Minchin wrote:

I think it has been mentioned before here that glyphosate is available
in France much cheaper that in UK.

Indeed.

I shall be going to France on holiday for most of September and will
have this on my shopping list.
Where is the best/cheapest places to buy this stuff bearing mind I only
have sufficient French to get typically get a meal and a bed for the
night and could not support a conversation on the relative
concentrations and applications of the stuff!!

You should find it in most bricolage stores (bricolage is the French for
DIY). If you're going to be in Normandy then there are Bricomarché
stores (the same chain as the Intermarché supermarkets). But any brico
place should stock it.

What are the brand names to lookout for please and does it come in the
bewildering range of concentrations that we get here?
I'd like 360 or 540 gms per litre so I can make up my own dilutions.
Is glyphosate the same word in French?

Yes.

Is désherbant the key word to be looking for?

Yes.

I have a one litre bottle of it in front of me. It simply says
Glyphosate 360 g/l and on the box it came in the word "désherbant"
appears at the top.

I bought it two or three years ago and I think the price I paid was
about 7 euros. That was on special offer. The normal price was about 15
euros, still far cheaper than Roundup.

Someone here said that it's possible to buy it at an agricultural
distributor called Agrial in bulk (you take your own container and they
fill it up) which is cheaper still. I haven't ever tried that even
though there is an Agrial near to where I live.

On the box you may see the words "doses homologuées". That means
recommended dosage.

Do ask if there's any more you want to know.

David (who lives in Normandy for part of the year but is no relation to
"David in Normandy" who also writes here!)

http://rance.org.uk

Old 25-07-2009, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Rance wrote:
[]
Someone here said that it's possible to buy it at an agricultural
distributor called Agrial in bulk (you take your own container and they
fill it up) which is cheaper still. I haven't ever tried that even
though there is an Agrial near to where I live.

That was me. No idea on current pricing though. Unless you really
want bulk though a better idea is to get a friendly local farmer to
sell it to you; anyone would be happy to part with a liter or so.

I've got to do my drive today, as it happens.

-E
Old 25-07-2009, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Rance wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your help David

There is a Bricomarche in Fumel near where we stay as well as a L'Eclerc
Jardi in Villeneuve so I'll look there. I'll have a search for an Agrial
in the area. I have a Brico Depot catalogue in front of me (april 2007)
and they don't seem to have got into the gardening side. We have a
friend there who is a handyman/gardener so I'll ask him as well.

Bob
Old 25-07-2009, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Minchin" wrote ..
I think it has been mentioned before here that glyphosate is available in
France much cheaper that in UK.
I shall be going to France on holiday for most of September and will have
this on my shopping list.
Where is the best/cheapest places to buy this stuff bearing mind I only
have sufficient French to get typically get a meal and a bed for the night
and could not support a conversation on the relative concentrations and
applications of the stuff!!

What are the brand names to lookout for please and does it come in the
bewildering range of concentrations that we get here?
I'd like 360 or 540 gms per litre so I can make up my own dilutions.
Is glyphosate the same word in French?
Is désherbant the key word to be looking for?

Hopefully some of our French resident readers can help.

Something else you can buy in France in large supermache that is difficult
to buy in the UK is "Owatrol" in 1 litre tins. It is the bees knees for
coating stuff to prevent rust on metal, paint it on and it creeps into the
smallest gap and then sets, and it works as an undercoat too. I use it on
all sorts of stuff but especially my old Landrover (1986) "allotment shed"
as it's known.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 25-07-2009, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Round Up, same name as in the UK. Glyphosate, 300mg/ml, the
concentration varies enormously, so be careful if you find one that
looks too cheap. We buy ours at any grand surface but Carrefour still
seems a little more expensive than LeClerc. The last one we bought
was made by Sem and called Prop'Sol Desherbant and is 360g per litre.

Judith

Old 25-07-2009, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 Bob Hobden wrote:

Something else you can buy in France in large supermache that is difficult
to buy in the UK is "Owatrol" in 1 litre tins. It is the bees knees for
coating stuff to prevent rust on metal, paint it on and it creeps into the
smallest gap and then sets, and it works as an undercoat too. I use it on
all sorts of stuff but especially my old Landrover (1986) "allotment shed"
as it's known.

Thanks for that, Bob. I have quite a run of iron railings and it needs
an effective rust preventative.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 25-07-2009, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Rance" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:

Something else you can buy in France in large supermache that is difficult
to buy in the UK is "Owatrol" in 1 litre tins. It is the bees knees for
coating stuff to prevent rust on metal, paint it on and it creeps into the
smallest gap and then sets, and it works as an undercoat too. I use it on
all sorts of stuff but especially my old Landrover (1986) "allotment shed"
as it's known.

Thanks for that, Bob. I have quite a run of iron railings and it needs an
effective rust preventative.

Most people use "Hammerite" straight onto the metal and it's very good but a
coat of Owatrol first would really stop rust as it gets right into any tiny
gaps.
I also managed to get a spray can of it on one trip to Carrefour which is
handy for difficult to get to places on the Landy chassis.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 25-07-2009, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 25, 4:53*pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Bob Minchin" *wrote ..

[...]

Now you tell me! Here's a pic of railings and gates that I have
painted!! The hard way, primer first and then 2 coats of the black
stuff. The second pic, showing my pots, don't show the railings which
is good as we didn't want anything to obscure our view.

http://i31.tinypic.com/15eh4xl.jpg
http://i30.tinypic.com/2pr8pvk.jpg
Judith
Old 25-07-2009, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote ...
"Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Bob Minchin" wrote ..

[...]

I would still look out for the product as if you get any sign of rust coming
through, around the joins usually, you can just paint that bit with it and
it will creep into the crack and seal it so it won't rust further.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 25-07-2009, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote ...
"Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Bob Minchin" wrote ..
[...]

You can buy it in chandlers in UK.

It is the bees knees for
coating stuff to prevent rust on metal, paint it on and it creeps into the
smallest gap and then sets, and it works as an undercoat too. I use it on
all sorts of stuff but especially my old Landrover (1986) "allotment shed"
as it's known.

Something you can buy in UK and elsewhere that works very well is Fertan
Rust
converter and Ferpox that provides a waterproof coating of resin on the
area you
have treated.

Yes there are a few rust converting/stopping products, one of the best is
Dinitrol RC800/RC900 which converts rust to an organic iron product that
inhibits further rust. Not cheap, and messy to apply IME, but excellent,
does exactly what it says on the tin. Paint what looks like milk on the
rust, wait overnight, and it's all turned black.

Resin is OK except that the chassis of a landrover flexes so I'm not
convinced resin would be the best product for the job.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden