Old 26-07-2009, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A good way to catch slugs.

My daughter put a dish containing dried cat food on to her garden path,
about half and hour later she looked out and saw that the dish was covered
in slugs of all sizes, not only were they enjoying the cat food but there
were at least another 20 advancing up the path towards the dish, how do they
communicate or is it just the smell of the cat food that attracts them.

kate

Old 26-07-2009, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Kate Morgan writes
My daughter put a dish containing dried cat food on to her garden path,
about half and hour later she looked out and saw that the dish was
covered in slugs of all sizes, not only were they enjoying the cat food
but there were at least another 20 advancing up the path towards the
dish, how do they communicate or is it just the smell of the cat food
that attracts them.

Just the smell I think. As far as I know they're not social beings.
--
Kay
Old 26-07-2009, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote in news:Wfmsf4LrkMbKFwI3
@scarboro.demon.co.uk:

Kate Morgan writes
My daughter put a dish containing dried cat food on to her garden path,
about half and hour later she looked out and saw that the dish was
covered in slugs of all sizes, not only were they enjoying the cat food
but there were at least another 20 advancing up the path towards the
dish, how do they communicate or is it just the smell of the cat food
that attracts them.

Just the smell I think. As far as I know they're not social beings.

Now all we need is a way to convince cats to eat slugs full of cat food. I
reckon you're onto a winner here.

--
The above post may contain traces of irony
Old 26-07-2009, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tunku" wrote ...
Kate Morgan writes
My daughter put a dish containing dried cat food on to her garden path,
about half and hour later she looked out and saw that the dish was
covered in slugs of all sizes, not only were they enjoying the cat food
but there were at least another 20 advancing up the path towards the
dish, how do they communicate or is it just the smell of the cat food
that attracts them.

Just the smell I think. As far as I know they're not social beings.

Now all we need is a way to convince cats to eat slugs full of cat food. I
reckon you're onto a winner here.

No way, our stray Tom that lives under our BBQ won't touch his biscuits if a
slug has been near them, we have to throw them away.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 27-07-2009, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
o.uk...
My daughter put a dish containing dried cat food on to her garden path,
about half and hour later she looked out and saw that the dish was covered
in slugs of all sizes, not only were they enjoying the cat food but there
were at least another 20 advancing up the path towards the dish, how do
they communicate or is it just the smell of the cat food that attracts
them.

A friend tried the old trick of using beer to attract the slugs. It worked
fine but she likes her beer and resented sharing her Boddingtons with the
slugs.

So she went to the supermarket and bought a can of the absolute cheapest
beer they had. Unfortunately the slugs hated it and headed for the
Boddingtons instead.

Moral: Boddingtons is best - even slugs agree.

The cheap brand was called Hector's. I don't think it's available any more
and I think I can see why. This story is true.

R.

Old 27-07-2009, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tunku ] said:
K wrote in news:Wfmsf4LrkMbKFwI3
@scarboro.demon.co.uk:

Kate Morgan writes
My daughter put a dish containing dried cat food on to her garden path,
about half and hour later she looked out and saw that the dish was
covered in slugs of all sizes, not only were they enjoying the cat food
but there were at least another 20 advancing up the path towards the
dish, how do they communicate or is it just the smell of the cat food
that attracts them.

Just the smell I think. As far as I know they're not social beings.

Now all we need is a way to convince cats to eat slugs full of cat food. I
reckon you're onto a winner here.

I put catfood out for the hedgehog and that too attracts slugs.
Old 28-07-2009, 12:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Yellow wrote:

I put catfood out for the hedgehog and that too attracts slugs.

What, the hedgehog?
Old 28-07-2009, 02:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stamp on a few slugs, that'll attract more which seem unfazed by the
cannabalism aspect....
Saves on the catfood.....

Best way to catch Koi Pickmaster Ponds 6 31-07-2003 12:22 AM
Slugs or no slugs Kate Morgan United Kingdom 9 04-04-2003 02:20 PM
OT - how do you catch geckos? Tony Sanders Ponds 10 27-03-2003 12:44 AM