Old 29-07-2009, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Green manure with leeks?

The jersey royals are being harvested and the leeks are ready to follow
them in. I thought of putting a green manure between the leeks to act as
ground cover and be dug in next spring. Any suggestions? I'm thinking
trifolium or clover?
Old 29-07-2009, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-29 17:03:25 +0100, Derek Turner said:

The jersey royals are being harvested and the leeks are ready to follow
them in. I thought of putting a green manure between the leeks to act as
ground cover and be dug in next spring. Any suggestions? I'm thinking
trifolium or clover?

Ah but you're late with your mids you by cri'. ;-)) I know almost
zero about veg. growing but wouldn't the green manure compete with the
leeks for nourishment from the soil? Eh?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 29-07-2009, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-29 17:03:25 +0100, Derek Turner said:

The jersey royals are being harvested and the leeks are ready to follow
them in. I thought of putting a green manure between the leeks to act
as ground cover and be dug in next spring. Any suggestions? I'm
thinking trifolium or clover?

Ah but you're late with your mids you by cri'. ;-)) I know almost
zero about veg. growing but wouldn't the green manure compete with the
leeks for nourishment from the soil? Eh?

The royals have been a bit of a disaster, to be honest. I'm trying to
avoid leaving bare earth between the leeks so as to avoid compaction/
washing out of nutrients. Trifolium and clover are both legumes and have
nodules in their roots which fix atmospheric nitrogen so that will help
the N but possibly at the expense of P and K?
Old 29-07-2009, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-29 17:03:25 +0100, Derek Turner said:

The jersey royals are being harvested and the leeks are ready to follow
them in. I thought of putting a green manure between the leeks to act
as ground cover and be dug in next spring. Any suggestions? I'm
thinking trifolium or clover?

Ah but you're late with your mids you by cri'. ;-)) I know almost
zero about veg. growing but wouldn't the green manure compete with the
leeks for nourishment from the soil? Eh?

The royals have been a bit of a disaster, to be honest. I'm trying to
avoid leaving bare earth between the leeks so as to avoid compaction/
washing out of nutrients. Trifolium and clover are both legumes and have
nodules in their roots which fix atmospheric nitrogen so that will help
the N but possibly at the expense of P and K?

I remember one very wet year when some growers in St Martin, on côtils
not far from Gorey Castle, planted their spuds twice. The first
planting just got washed straight down the hill and onto the road.
That was a really late year for Royals. A farmer friend always used to
bring me a box full of chats - the really tiny, marble-sized potatoes.
I just washed the earth off them and roasted them whole in olive oil
and scattered with sea salt. Wonderful! So your crop might not be a
disaster if you treat them the same way.

Old 29-07-2009, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 17:54:21 +0100, Sacha wrote:

I remember one very wet year when some growers in St Martin, on côtils
not far from Gorey Castle, planted their spuds twice. The first
planting just got washed straight down the hill and onto the road. That
was a really late year for Royals. A farmer friend always used to bring
me a box full of chats - the really tiny, marble-sized potatoes. I just
washed the earth off them and roasted them whole in olive oil and
scattered with sea salt. Wonderful! So your crop might not be a
disaster if you treat them the same way.

Royals were the first thing I put in to the new lotty and that was at
Easter as it wasn't handed over til then. I put them into unprepared
earth with a bulb planter and then heaped vraic on them and hoped for the
best. My neighbours went down the digging-over, earthing up, a Jersey
foot apart route and theirs overtook mine very quickly and were harvested
at least a month ago. I was too busy trying to establish some permanent
beds (rhubarb and asparagus) to spend much time on potatoes. What few
we've dug have been delicious, though. Planning to put some 'earlies' in
this back-end

Old 29-07-2009, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-29 18:09:05 +0100, Derek Turner said:

[...]

Maybe I should rent you my côtils in Grève de Lecq! It would only take
you a couple of years to strip them of the scrub that covers them.
;-)) It's my personal nature reserve!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Subject: Pigeon Manure, Chicken Manure JacKUzi Gardening 0 11-08-2004 02:28 AM
Spinach as green manure??? Rick Edible Gardening 3 29-05-2004 09:02 PM
bananna skins as green, or yellow, manure Lazarus Cooke United Kingdom 2 20-05-2004 08:08 AM
green manure? PA United Kingdom 3 19-10-2003 10:12 PM
PHACELIA TANACETIFOLIA as a green manure al Gardening 2 25-08-2003 12:22 AM