Old 10-08-2009, 02:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default grubs

I have been growing runner beans on the same patch of ground for years. I
use compost from a compost bin dug in in spring and start them in a cold
green house, plant out mid May.

This year some of the first row planted started ok, then a fair way up the
sticks just withered and died. On examination of the stem at ground level
there was a little hole, and cutting the stem open revealed a small white
grub surrounded by very small dots (eggs??) The only remedy was to replant.
I sprayed with Derris liquid and hoped for the best, some were not attacked
again but some suffered the same fate.

In years gone by I used to treat all plants with Bromophos but thanks to EC
nonsense that is not available now, I cant even get Derris Dust !!

Could anyone tell me please what is the problem and how can it be cured. I
am very tempted to use containers with JI or growbags next year to let the
ground recover a bit. Friends of ours have planted in containers and are
getting a bumper crop.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ben Short" wrote in message
[...]

Before planting, did you check the beans for tiny little holes? I had
several this year. I opened up a couple and the culprit wasn't still there,
but I assumed the damage was done and binned any with holes.

Steve

How to Kill Grubs/larvae of JuneBugs?? (Dogs eat Grubs) Tom Servo Texas 0 27-03-2004 07:02 AM
Get rid of Grubs Bub Lawns 4 09-05-2003 04:56 AM
Grubs Heather Gardening 29 14-04-2003 03:56 AM
Grubs Heather Roses 3 11-04-2003 04:32 PM
grubs ideekay Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:34 AM