Old 14-08-2009, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ripe toms

First three decided to go red. Lots on there but slow to turn.

Outside under the veranda in a huge pot

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 14-08-2009, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:
First three decided to go red. Lots on there but slow to turn.

We have just harvested a third time from our Tom plants Our first ONES
were about a fortnight ago then about a kilo a week ago then another
2kilos today. There are still lots and lots and... of toms that look
like they will ripen of, but there are still some flowers and little
tiny toms that unless they get a wriggle on wont have time to ripen
before the season is over.

We have 12 tom plants all together in pots with no bottom that are
sitting on a trough (water from the bottom feed from the top style) the
two plants that seem to be doing the best (growing the fastest most
'fruit' etc) are two we got from his school fayre (sic). The tom plants
are interspersed with Marigolds as apparently the Marigolds give of a
gas/odour/substance that repels white fly.
Old 14-08-2009, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"soup" wrote in message ...
'Mike' wrote:
First three decided to go red. Lots on there but slow to turn.

We have just harvested a third time from our Tom plants Our first ONES
were about a fortnight ago then about a kilo a week ago then another
2kilos today. There are still lots and lots and... of toms that look like
they will ripen of, but there are still some flowers and little tiny toms
that unless they get a wriggle on wont have time to ripen before the
season is over.

We have 12 tom plants all together in pots with no bottom that are
sitting on a trough (water from the bottom feed from the top style) the
two plants that seem to be doing the best (growing the fastest most
'fruit' etc) are two we got from his school fayre (sic). The tom plants
are interspersed with Marigolds as apparently the Marigolds give of a
gas/odour/substance that repels white fly.

Now that is interesting, the problem is i shall forget to do that in
future!(:-(

Alan

Old 15-08-2009, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
First three decided to go red. Lots on there but slow to turn.

Outside under the veranda in a huge pot

--
Mike

whilst over on the other side of the world, as we head out of winter, I
noticed my first volunteer tomato plant today growing in my polytunnel.

rob

Old 16-08-2009, 05:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bud Bud is offline

George.com wrote:

whilst over on the other side of the world, as we head out of winter, I
noticed my first volunteer tomato plant today growing in my polytunnel.

rob

And on the other side of the pond, I've been picking toms, early girl and
tiny toms (which are not all that tiny) for a few weeks) after a hot
spell here in SW Idaho. That's in the NW BTW.
--
signature goes here

Old 16-08-2009, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Can anyone tell me why my tomatoes are going brown instead of ripening?

Any advice as to the cure?

Roy.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Old 17-08-2009, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 19:50:29 +0100, Roy Bailey
wrote:

Can anyone tell me why my tomatoes are going brown instead of ripening?

Any advice as to the cure?

Roy.

Likely to be blight. No cure. Don't compost, burn, along with all
plant residue. Do stems and leaves have brown patches too?

Pam in Bristol