Old 14-08-2009, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gardeners world right now :::Question.

Our subtitles wont come on. But we've been having telly problems. Do
they not do them? or is it our telly ?
Old 14-08-2009, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
prb prb is offline

In article edd4281b-13d1-43f5-898a-0954b4c36cd0
@j21g2000yqe.googlegroups.com,
says...
Our subtitles wont come on. But we've been having telly problems. Do
they not do them? or is it our telly ?

Its your telly. The subtitles are on 888.
Old 14-08-2009, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 12:44:35 -0700 (PDT), aquachimp wrote:

Our subtitles wont come on. But we've been having telly problems. Do
they not do them? or is it our telly ?

Just tested it and it's working OK here on GW. It must be your telly :-(
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Old 14-08-2009, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 14, 9:50*pm, Hugh Jampton wrote:
On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 12:44:35 -0700 (PDT), aquachimp wrote:
Our subtitles wont come on. But we've *been having telly problems. *Do
they not do them? or is it our telly ?

Just tested it and it's working OK here on GW. It must be your telly :-(
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton

Thank you both. It's just that the subtitles are working for a *local
channel but not for BBC

* Belgium
Old 14-08-2009, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"aquachimp" wrote in message
On Aug 14, 9:50 pm, Hugh Jampton wrote:
On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 12:44:35 -0700 (PDT), aquachimp wrote:
Our subtitles wont come on. But we've been having telly problems. Do
they not do them? or is it our telly ?

Just tested it and it's working OK here on GW. It must be your telly :-(
--

Thank you both. It's just that the subtitles are working for a *local
channel but not for BBC

__

Try again tomorrow, and if your subtitles still don't work, it's either get
a man in to try and fix it or get a new telly.

Old 15-08-2009, 08:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
igs igs is offline

On 14 Aug, 22:25, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"aquachimp" wrote in message

On Aug 14, 9:50 pm, Hugh Jampton wrote: On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 12:44:35 -0700 (PDT), aquachimp wrote:
Our subtitles wont come on. But we've been having telly problems. Do
they not do them? or is it our telly ?

Just tested it and it's working OK here on GW. It must be your telly :-(
--

Thank you both. It's just that the subtitles are working for a *local
channel but not for BBC

__

Try again tomorrow, and if your subtitles still don't work, it's either get
a man in to try and fix it or get a new telly.

It could be down to a fault at your local transmitter. Try asking a
neighbour whose aerial is pointing in the same direction as yours
Old 15-08-2009, 08:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
"aquachimp" wrote in message

On Aug 14, 9:50 pm, Hugh Jampton wrote: On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 12:44:35 -0700 (PDT), aquachimp wrote:
Our subtitles wont come on. But we've been having telly problems. Do
they not do them? or is it our telly ?

Just tested it and it's working OK here on GW. It must be your telly :-(
--

Thank you both. It's just that the subtitles are working for a *local
channel but not for BBC

__

Try again tomorrow, and if your subtitles still don't work, it's either get
a man in to try and fix it or get a new telly.

It could be down to a fault at your local transmitter. Try asking a
neighbour whose aerial is pointing in the same direction as yours

Hmm thanks; No aerial... Digital telly.... new telly too. "hd ready"
'n all. Hmph.
Old 15-08-2009, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 12:05:24 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 11:29:06 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:
The message

from aquachimp contains these words:
It could be down to a fault at your local transmitter. Try asking a
neighbour whose aerial is pointing in the same direction as yours
Hmm thanks; No aerial... Digital telly.... new telly too. "hd ready"
'n all. Hmph.
If you are on cable, and if your cable company gets its feed from a
transmitter, your TV signal would be affected by
problems at that transmitter.

As the UK digital changeover is gradually rolled out, transmitters
keep adjusting their channel settings
and a digital TV will need rescanning. Try a re-scan and see if
that helps.

Also, many areas still receive both analogue and digital transmitter
signals (and a new TV can accept either).

If your on screen signal is subnormal its also possible that you're
inadvertently watching
the analogue signal on your digital TV :-) (easily done on ours by
bodging the wrong button on the zapper).
Aquachimp is in the lowlands,

Thanks. I knew he used to be but looked at his uk address and
thought he might have returned.

it is fairly normal for cable companies to forget
to enable subtitles. Our cable company frequently forgets to provide
BBC 3 and
BBC 4. BBC Prime which is exclusively for those outside UK no longer has
subtitles. Queries sent to BBC Prime asking why have been ignored.

Just as a matter of interest, were the BBC Prime soundtracks and
subtitles in Dutch or English or a mix?

Everything is in English. The subtitles were in English too.

I'm just watching the old Onedin Line TV series on DVD; a version
that must have been dubbed for the Dutch market.
The sound track is all Dutch and the subtitles are English. From what
you say I'm wondering if it was mastered from BBC Prime.

I doubt if BBC Prime is capable of anything so complicated. Maybe they made it
like that by accident but not deliberately.
I get BBC Prime as part of a cable package, I would never pay extra for it.

Freesat ITV midland has been missing its subtitles for some time now,
but BBC is fine.

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Old 15-08-2009, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes

If your on screen signal is subnormal its also possible that you're
inadvertently watching
the analogue signal on your digital TV :-) (easily done on ours by
bodging the wrong button on the zapper).

Janet

That drives me crazy sometimes! If I use the DVD recorder EPG
button, it leaves the TV in analogue mode afterwards.

I am hoping that this will cease when we switch to digital only in
November/December, or will it leave me with a blank screen.

Back to the topic, my remote control(s) for the digital TVs have a
dedicated button for subtitles, which is useful when watching some
American movies. Mumbling started with Marlon Brando, I think...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 16-08-2009, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from Gordon H contains these words:

If I use the DVD recorder EPG
button, it leaves the TV in analogue mode afterwards.

I am hoping that this will cease when we switch to digital only in
November/December, or will it leave me with a blank screen.

When the last analogue signals have gone, some of the bandwidth
freed up will provide stronger digital signal
(afaik its not cranked up to full strength yet). Then I might be more
appreciative :-)

Janet

The digital signal is fine here, but it's the fact that the set selects
analogue after using the DVDR which is irritating.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply