Old 22-08-2009, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I Made a Wasp Trap

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 22:55:42 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 17:37:06 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

I've had a spectacular crop of plums and damsons this year which are
falling on to the path quicker than I can pick them up. There's only a
certain amount I can eat, the chickens are fed up with them, my
neighbours have their own trees, so I'll just have to sweep them onto
the borders and wait for the wasps.

One word: Jam.

Plums and Damsons are very easy to jam they have enough natural
pectin to form a set without too much bother.

Of course if you don't have any jam jars stored away (but who throws
out jam jars?) you might have a problem finding containers.

Not if you have a Lakeland close by.

You don't even need a Lakeland. In my neck of the woods, most of the
supermarkets have, if not Kilner jars, Kilner lookalikes. And many a
'department' store has same. Often cheaper than Lakeland too.

Old 22-08-2009, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 10:14:11 +0200, Martin wrote:

You can buy kilner jars from eg. Lakeland though I have no idea

how
much they are.

Almost "if you need to ask..." price, kilners are bit OTT for a bit
of jam and even the 1/2 litre ones pretty huge, you are probably
looking at not far short of 2lb of jam in one of them.

Lakeland jam jars are substantially cheaper than their Kilner jars
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/F/product/3819_3818

Much more reasonable and a sensible size. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 23-08-2009, 12:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 23:59:12 +0200, Martin wrote:

kilners are bit OTT for a bit of jam and even the 1/2 litre ones

pretty
huge, you are probablylooking at not far short of 2lb of jam in

one of
them.

You'd be surprised how much jam one can produce from a smallish
allotment.

I wouldn't but unless you are voracious jam eaters 2lb will last
quite a while, once opened mold spores get in... Also the size/weight
of a kilner is not so nice to handle as a 1lb normal jam jar.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 23-08-2009, 08:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 10:14:11 +0200, Martin wrote:

You can buy kilner jars from eg. Lakeland though I have no idea

how
much they are.

Almost "if you need to ask..." price, kilners are bit OTT for a bit
of jam and even the 1/2 litre ones pretty huge, you are probably
looking at not far short of 2lb of jam in one of them.

Lakeland jam jars are substantially cheaper than their Kilner jars
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/F/product/3819_3818

Much more reasonable and a sensible size. B-)

Some one here was talking about making drinks from excess fruit. I was in
Lakeland yesterday and they have some lovely bottles. The following are
examples:

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/traditiona.../product/13342

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/preserving...ct/11087_11086

Old 23-08-2009, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 21:39:32 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 10:14:11 +0200, Martin wrote:

You can buy kilner jars from eg. Lakeland though I have no idea

how
much they are.

Almost "if you need to ask..." price, kilners are bit OTT for a bit
of jam and even the 1/2 litre ones pretty huge, you are probably
looking at not far short of 2lb of jam in one of them.

You'd be surprised how much jam one can produce from a smallish allotment.

Lakeland jam jars are substantially cheaper than their Kilner jars
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/F/product/3819_3818

Much more reasonable and a sensible size. B-)

Better still is to hoard used jam jars and only give away jam in return
for
empty jars )

My empty jam jars are no longer empty. They are full of chutney!

Old 23-08-2009, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 13:01:40 +0100, "wafflycat"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 10:14:11 +0200, Martin wrote:

You can buy kilner jars from eg. Lakeland though I have no idea
how
much they are.

Almost "if you need to ask..." price, kilners are bit OTT for a bit
of jam and even the 1/2 litre ones pretty huge, you are probably
looking at not far short of 2lb of jam in one of them.

You'd be surprised how much jam one can produce from a smallish
allotment.

Lakeland jam jars are substantially cheaper than their Kilner jars
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/F/product/3819_3818

Much more reasonable and a sensible size. B-)

Better still is to hoard used jam jars and only give away jam in return
for
empty jars )

My empty jam jars are no longer empty. They are full of chutney!

No jam for you then )

Not yet. But the batch of plum jam in the cauldron on the hob right now is
almost at setting point! YUM!

Old 23-08-2009, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 17:37:06 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

I've had a spectacular crop of plums and damsons this year which are
falling on to the path quicker than I can pick them up. There's
only a certain amount I can eat, the chickens are fed up with them,
my neighbours have their own trees, so I'll just have to sweep them
onto the borders and wait for the wasps.

One word: Jam.

Plums and Damsons are very easy to jam they have enough natural
pectin to form a set without too much bother.

I don't like jam though :-(
I'm going to try making damson gin. Like sloe gin but damsons, why not?
Or wash the demi-johns out for some wine perhaps.

Tina

Old 23-08-2009, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 20:59:08 +0100, Christina Websell wrote
(in article ):

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 17:37:06 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

I've had a spectacular crop of plums and damsons this year which are
falling on to the path quicker than I can pick them up. There's
only a certain amount I can eat, the chickens are fed up with them,
my neighbours have their own trees, so I'll just have to sweep them
onto the borders and wait for the wasps.

One word: Jam.

Plums and Damsons are very easy to jam they have enough natural
pectin to form a set without too much bother.

I don't like jam though :-(
I'm going to try making damson gin. Like sloe gin but damsons, why not?
Or wash the demi-johns out for some wine perhaps.

I make damson gin! Do you want my recipe?

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through uk.rec.gardening

Old 24-08-2009, 07:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 17:37:06 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

I've had a spectacular crop of plums and damsons this year which are
falling on to the path quicker than I can pick them up. There's
only a certain amount I can eat, the chickens are fed up with them,
my neighbours have their own trees, so I'll just have to sweep them
onto the borders and wait for the wasps.

One word: Jam.

Plums and Damsons are very easy to jam they have enough natural
pectin to form a set without too much bother.

I don't like jam though :-(
I'm going to try making damson gin. Like sloe gin but damsons, why not?
Or wash the demi-johns out for some wine perhaps.

Or use vodka instead of gin... *hic*

Old 24-08-2009, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wafflycat wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 17:37:06 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

I've had a spectacular crop of plums and damsons this year which
are falling on to the path quicker than I can pick them up. There's
only a certain amount I can eat, the chickens are fed up
with them, my neighbours have their own trees, so I'll just have
to sweep them onto the borders and wait for the wasps.

One word: Jam.

Plums and Damsons are very easy to jam they have enough natural
pectin to form a set without too much bother.

I don't like jam though :-(
I'm going to try making damson gin. Like sloe gin but damsons, why
not? Or wash the demi-johns out for some wine perhaps.

Or use vodka instead of gin... *hic*

g Have you tried raspberry vodka? I don't have any raspberries but for
those that have a lot, it's really lovely.
I tend not to drink vodka, it has this peculiar effect on me. While I'm
drinking it I feel absolutely sober. When I go outside I fall in the flower
bed..so I avoid it now ;-)
I rarely drink spirits anyway, but if I do I know when I've had enough, but
vodka never tells me that!
Spirits are a Christmas drink for me, so the damson gin should be just about
ready by then.

Tina

Old 24-08-2009, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Damson gin (was I Made a Wasp Trap)

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 17:45:20 +0100, Christina Websell wrote
(in article ):

Sally Thompson wrote:
On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 20:59:08 +0100, Christina Websell wrote
(in article ):

snip

I don't like jam though :-(
I'm going to try making damson gin. Like sloe gin but damsons, why
not? Or wash the demi-johns out for some wine perhaps.

I make damson gin! Do you want my recipe?

Yes please!

Damson Gin:

3 lb damsons
3 lb sugar
1 x 70cl bottle gin (use the cheapest possible)

Put into screw-top glass jars or demi-johns (no need to prick damsons). Stir
or turn every day for at least six weeks until sugar is dissolved. Bottle.

Drink .
Fall over :-)

Old 24-08-2009, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sally Thompson wrote:
On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 20:59:08 +0100, Christina Websell wrote
(in article ):

snip

I don't like jam though :-(
I'm going to try making damson gin. Like sloe gin but damsons, why
not? Or wash the demi-johns out for some wine perhaps.

I make damson gin! Do you want my recipe?

Yes please!

Damson Gin:

3 lb damsons
3 lb sugar
1 x 70cl bottle gin (use the cheapest possible)

Put into screw-top glass jars or demi-johns (no need to prick
damsons).

No need to prick them with a silver pin?? Are you sure? My grandmother
told me this was essential.

Stir or turn every day for at least six weeks until sugar
is dissolved. Bottle.

When do you strain the damsons out so that the stones don't make it bitter?

Drink .
Fall over :-)

smile

Tina

Old 24-08-2009, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:

No need to prick them with a silver pin?? Are you sure? My grandmother
told me this was essential.

Well, it isn't for sloes :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.