Old 17-08-2009, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I Made a Wasp Trap

Now I can't find any wasps.
Where can I buy some?
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 17-08-2009, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 15:12:37 +0100, Gordon H
wrote:

Now I can't find any wasps.
Where can I buy some?

I think the North West has become a wasp free zone. I am assuming you
live somewhere around the Greater Manchester area or did you move?

Steve

Old 18-08-2009, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Stephen
Wolstenholme writes
wrote:

Now I can't find any wasps.
Where can I buy some?

I think the North West has become a wasp free zone. I am assuming you
live somewhere around the Greater Manchester area or did you move?

Steve

No, I'm still here. I honestly can't remember seeing a wasp this
year.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 18-08-2009, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 12:23:07 +0100, Gordon H
wrote:

In message , Stephen
Wolstenholme writes
wrote:

Now I can't find any wasps.
Where can I buy some?

I think the North West has become a wasp free zone. I am assuming you
live somewhere around the Greater Manchester area or did you move?

Steve

No, I'm still here. I honestly can't remember seeing a wasp this
year.

I've seen a mimic but no real wasps. When I check there aren't many
insects at all in my garden this year. No ants! One solitary hover
fly. Perhaps I need new glasses.

Steve

Old 18-08-2009, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Stephen
Wolstenholme writes
wrote:

I honestly can't remember seeing a wasp this
year.

I've seen a mimic but no real wasps. When I check there aren't many
insects at all in my garden this year. No ants! One solitary hover
fly. Perhaps I need new glasses.

Steve

At the present, butterflies (cabbage white) are in the ascendancy, and
the bees are not as numerous, but they like my sweet peas.
Not many hoverflies, but last week I sat supping tea in next door's
garden, and her granddaughter suddenly exclaimed at the hordes of ants
swarming over the low, shared garden wall.
They were flying ants, and we had a hasty ant-bashing session.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Old 18-08-2009, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bud Bud is offline

Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

[quoted text muted]

I've seen a mimic but no real wasps. When I check there aren't many
insects at all in my garden this year. No ants! One solitary hover fly.
Perhaps I need new glasses.

Steve

You having the same problem there too. I was able to keep a large organic
garden for years, now I'm unable to do so--one operation too many on my
shoulders. Now it is sage, three tom plants, tarragon, chives, mint, and
oregano which I let bloom as the bees love the flowers. Back when, I had
all kinds of insects, good and bad but there was no harm done to the
garden. My opinion is that people use too much insecticides. I saw a lot
of lady bugs on the Catalina plum tree and one lacewing on a tom plant
this year where there used to be many. Woe is us in the US.
--
signature goes here
Old 18-08-2009, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bud Bud is offline

Gordon H wrote:

[quoted text muted]

At the present, butterflies (cabbage white) are in the ascendancy, and
the bees are not as numerous, but they like my sweet peas. Not many
hoverflies, but last week I sat supping tea in next door's garden, and
her granddaughter suddenly exclaimed at the hordes of ants swarming over
the low, shared garden wall. They were flying ants, and we had a hasty
ant-bashing session.

See, those ants were looking for a new place to settle, ants are good to
have in your garden, but nearby nests are even better.
--
signature goes here
Old 19-08-2009, 01:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18 Aug 2009 21:46:25 GMT, Bud wrote:

My opinion is that people use too much insecticides. I saw a lot
of lady bugs on the Catalina plum tree and one lacewing on a tom plant
this year where there used to be many. Woe is us in the US.

I don't use any insecticides but the number of insects has dropped by
a huge amount this year. None of neighbours use insecticides either so
I can't blame them.

Steve

Old 19-08-2009, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bud
writes
Gordon H wrote:

[quoted text muted]

At the present, butterflies (cabbage white) are in the ascendancy, and
the bees are not as numerous, but they like my sweet peas. Not many
hoverflies, but last week I sat supping tea in next door's garden, and
her granddaughter suddenly exclaimed at the hordes of ants swarming over
the low, shared garden wall. They were flying ants, and we had a hasty
ant-bashing session.

See, those ants were looking for a new place to settle, ants are good to
have in your garden, but nearby nests are even better.

Yes I know, one of them bit my neck.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 21-08-2009, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Stephen
Wolstenholme writes
wrote:

Now I can't find any wasps.
Where can I buy some?

I think the North West has become a wasp free zone. I am assuming you
live somewhere around the Greater Manchester area or did you move?

Steve

No, I'm still here. I honestly can't remember seeing a wasp this
year.

I haven't either but I'd better not speak too soon. I've had a spectacular
crop of plums and damsons this year which are falling on to the path quicker
than I can pick them up. There's only a certain amount I can eat, the
chickens are fed up with them, my neighbours have their own trees, so I'll
just have to sweep them onto the borders and wait for the wasps.

Imagine my horror when I visited my aunt last Sunday - she gave me a carrier
bag full of plums to take home. I was too polite to refuse them but my
thanks were very faint.

Tina

Old 21-08-2009, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Bud
writes
Gordon H wrote:

[quoted text muted]
At the present, butterflies (cabbage white) are in the ascendancy, and
the bees are not as numerous, but they like my sweet peas. Not many
hoverflies, but last week I sat supping tea in next door's garden, and
her granddaughter suddenly exclaimed at the hordes of ants swarming over
the low, shared garden wall. They were flying ants, and we had a hasty
ant-bashing session.

See, those ants were looking for a new place to settle, ants are good to
have in your garden, but nearby nests are even better.

Yes I know, one of them bit my neck.
--

Get over it and learn to like them ;-) They are amazing insects.

Tina

Old 21-08-2009, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Christina Websell
writes

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Bud
writes

See, those ants were looking for a new place to settle, ants are good to
have in your garden, but nearby nests are even better.

Yes I know, one of them bit my neck.
--

Get over it and learn to like them ;-) They are amazing insects.
Tina

The bite didn't hurt much, it was when I tried to suck the poison out...
;-)
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 21-08-2009, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 17:37:06 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

I've had a spectacular crop of plums and damsons this year which are
falling on to the path quicker than I can pick them up. There's only a
certain amount I can eat, the chickens are fed up with them, my
neighbours have their own trees, so I'll just have to sweep them onto
the borders and wait for the wasps.

One word: Jam.

Plums and Damsons are very easy to jam they have enough natural
pectin to form a set without too much bother.

Of course if you don't have any jam jars stored away (but who throws
out jam jars?) you might have a problem finding containers.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 22-08-2009, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
You can buy kilner jars from eg. Lakeland though I have no idea how much
they are. I agree about the jam making. We don't grow plums here but my
son's garden is producing huge quantities of them and they're jam making
like mad.

I used to make all kinds of jam. No one to eat it now though.

Old 22-08-2009, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 09:45:54 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
You can buy kilner jars from eg. Lakeland though I have no idea how much
they are. I agree about the jam making. We don't grow plums here but
my
son's garden is producing huge quantities of them and they're jam making
like mad.

I used to make all kinds of jam. No one to eat it now though.

No hungry wasps?

With any luck