Old 18-08-2009, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dogs on lawns :-(

For many years our lawn has suffered from yellow patches caused by our dogs
weeing :-( Never been able to find a cure.

We've now seen an ad for "Dog Rocks" www.dogrocks.co.uk

Has anyone ever used this ? If so is it any good ?

TIA.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Old 18-08-2009, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 18, 6:23*pm, Hugh Jampton wrote:

For many years our lawn has suffered from yellow patches caused by our dogs
weeing :-( Never been able to find a cure.

I suggest you try Canine Incontinence Pants now available at your
local pet store!
Old 18-08-2009, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 18:23:47 +0100, Hugh Jampton wrote:

For many years our lawn has suffered from yellow patches caused by our
dogs weeing :-( Never been able to find a cure.

Never had that problem with dogs, only bitches.
Old 18-08-2009, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Hugh Jampton" wrote in message
For many years our lawn has suffered from yellow patches caused by our
dogs
weeing :-( Never been able to find a cure.

We've now seen an ad for "Dog Rocks" www.dogrocks.co.uk

Has anyone ever used this ? If so is it any good ?

TIA.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton

I've no experience of "Dog Rocks", but I have heard that feeding your bitch
tomato sauce (presumably mixed with her food) prevents the urine from having
this dubious effect. Perhaps one of the dog owners on urg will be able to
help you out with more detail.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Spider

Old 18-08-2009, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18 Aug 2009 18:30:45 GMT, Derek Turner wrote:

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 18:23:47 +0100, Hugh Jampton wrote:

For many years our lawn has suffered from yellow patches caused by our
dogs weeing :-( Never been able to find a cure.

Never had that problem with dogs, only bitches.

I know it supposed to be only bitches that cause the problem - I'm not so
sure. We have 1 dog and 1 bitch - could be just the bitch I suppose.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton

Old 18-08-2009, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 19:39:57 +0100, Spider wrote:

I've no experience of "Dog Rocks", but I have heard that feeding your bitch
tomato sauce (presumably mixed with her food) prevents the urine from having
this dubious effect. Perhaps one of the dog owners on urg will be able to
help you out with more detail.

This was suggested some years back on this group. We tried it but had no
success :-(

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Thanks anyway.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Old 18-08-2009, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

For many years our lawn has suffered from yellow patches caused by our
dogs weeing :-( Never been able to find a cure.

Well, they used to say that bottles or open bowls of water placed where the
dog pees will stop them. They won't risk polluting a source of water
apparently. But it's probably just folklore.

Al.
Old 18-08-2009, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 20:06:29 +0100, Hugh Jampton wrote:

On 18 Aug 2009 18:30:45 GMT, Derek Turner wrote:

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 18:23:47 +0100, Hugh Jampton wrote:

For many years our lawn has suffered from yellow patches caused by our
dogs weeing :-( Never been able to find a cure.

Never had that problem with dogs, only bitches.

I know it supposed to be only bitches that cause the problem - I'm not
so sure. We have 1 dog and 1 bitch - could be just the bitch I suppose.

AIUI bitches tend to squat and do it all in one place: dogs tend to want
to reserve it for scenting and only do a little at a time. The /only/
effective treatment that I know of is to have a bucket of water to hand
by the door, follow her out and chuck the water where she's been. The
problem is 'burn' from an overdose of Nitrogen. You should see that when
(if on a small lawn ) it re-grows it does so far more green and
vigorous. The water dilutes the overdose of N. Nothing you can feed to
her will reduce the urea concentration in her urine, I'm afraid. Never
heard of dog-rocks, though mine does.
Old 18-08-2009, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 21:10:06 +0000, Derek Turner wrote:

Never heard of dog-rocks,
though mine does.

OK now followed the link. 'Paramagnetic igneous rock' - oh purleeeze
consign to the same bin as homeopathy and snake-oil.
Old 18-08-2009, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Al
writes
For many years our lawn has suffered from yellow patches caused by our
dogs weeing :-( Never been able to find a cure.

Well, they used to say that bottles or open bowls of water placed where the
dog pees will stop them. They won't risk polluting a source of water
apparently. But it's probably just folklore.

Al.

Following our border collie bitch with a bucket of water didn't stop the
damage, but your suggestion might work.

I used to put bread spread with honey on the lawn for the foxes, and
they almost invariably used to pee on it and sniff around before
returning to eat it. It was one way I could tell the difference
between dog fox and vixen when I checked out the security camera
recordings. :-)
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Old 18-08-2009, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18 Aug 2009 19:28:11 GMT, Al wrote:

Well, they used to say that bottles or open bowls of water placed where the
dog pees will stop them.

Big garden - several lawns - they pee everywhere :-(
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Old 18-08-2009, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18 Aug 2009 21:10:06 GMT, Derek Turner wrote:

AIUI bitches tend to squat and do it all in one place: dogs tend to want
to reserve it for scenting and only do a little at a time.

Our dog is a black lab. On walks he does as you say - a little at a time.
In the garden (on the lawn) he squats like a bitch and does it all in one
place :-( Our last black lab (dog) did the same.

The /only/ effective treatment that I know of is to have a bucket of water to hand
by the door, follow her out and chuck the water where she's been.

We do that but it's a total waste of time - dunno why we bother - they have
free access to the garden when we don't do it :-(
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Old 18-08-2009, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18 Aug 2009 21:12:31 GMT, Derek Turner wrote:

OK now followed the link. 'Paramagnetic igneous rock' - oh purleeeze
consign to the same bin as homeopathy and snake-oil.

I thought similar.

Hoped I was wrong :-)
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Old 19-08-2009, 12:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bitches are notorious for killing off lawns. As a long time owner of Border
Collie bitches, I gave up trying to find a remedy years ago. I now just let
the current incumbent get on with it, and sit outside wondering what my lawn
might have been without her. If you can keep up with your lovable pet,
watering the area immediately after the crime is the best solution.

On the serious side though, if you get a bitch spayed, you stand a very good
chance of solving the problem. Spayed bitches generally don't cause this
problem. But please note the use of the word GENERALLY!!! Once spayed, it
can go one of three ways:
1) Kills the grass as normal.
2) Has no effect whatsoever.
3) Acts as a fertiliser, and the grass on the spot grows like mad.
The end result all depends on the dog. You takes your chances!
For dogs (male) I don't think neutering makes any difference, though with
most dogs the problem doesn't exist.

One thing I will stress very strongly. If you get an additive for your dog's
diet, PLEASE check with your vet first as to what it's going to do to your
dog. Don't trust the sales staff at your local pet store. You need to
minimise the nitrogen content of the dog's wee, NOT change the acid content.
A lot of products alter the Ph content as well as the N level, and these can
be dangerous for your dog's health.

For more information and discussion on the matter, see:-

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/...515119144.html
http://parents.berkeley.edu/advice/pets/dogurine.html
http://www.lawncare-business.com/How...Your-Lawn.html

jim, Northampton

Old 19-08-2009, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hugh Jampton wrote:
On 18 Aug 2009 19:28:11 GMT, Al wrote:

Well, they used to say that bottles or open bowls of water placed where the
dog pees will stop them.

Big garden - several lawns - they pee everywhere :-(

This is probably no help now, but if the dogs are young it
is quite easy to train them to only do business off of the
lawns. If you've got a field within easy distance they
can tell the difference between short-cut and long-cut
grass.

Our 2 yr Golden hasn't peed on the lawn in nearly 2 yrs.

The down side is on car trips it can be difficult to persuade
them to use the rest area if only lawn is available.

-E

mulch fertilizer may pose hazard to dogs TOM KAN PA Gardening 15 05-04-2003 06:44 PM
Plants Toxic to Dogs Willow Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:37 AM
Plants Toxic to Dogs Willow Australia 2 01-04-2003 10:20 AM
dogs and shade plants R B North Carolina 2 29-03-2003 02:08 AM
Best groundcover for Active DogS David Modine Gardening 6 28-01-2003 05:23 AM