Old 19-08-2009, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Controlling flag iris in a pond

Hi all,

When I tidy the pond in a few weeks time I am going to need to remove
some of the flag iris before they take over.

However, from experience they are difficult to remove. Normally, I use a
garden fork to dig out stubborn roots but I don't want to risk tearing
the pond liner.

Has anyone any tips for removing them?

Thanks

Anne
Old 19-08-2009, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Anne Donnelly writes
Hi all,

When I tidy the pond in a few weeks time I am going to need to remove
some of the flag iris before they take over.

However, from experience they are difficult to remove. Normally, I use
a garden fork to dig out stubborn roots but I don't want to risk
tearing the pond liner.

Has anyone any tips for removing them?

I just heave them out, one rhizome at a time - the rhizomes break off
easily. They're a lot easier than in soil because they haven't so much
to get their roots into. In detail - tug a plant till a rhizome appears
within grabbing difference, break it off and pull. Repeat. Expect to get
wet and muddy ;-)

I also had a team of volunteers clearing a large amount of bulrushes
from a small lake - they were trying to take the rushes and leave the
iris, even so, we lost a considerable number of iris with no apparent
difficulty ;-)
--
Kay
Old 19-08-2009, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Donnelly" wrote
When I tidy the pond in a few weeks time I am going to need to remove some
of the flag iris before they take over.

However, from experience they are difficult to remove. Normally, I use a
garden fork to dig out stubborn roots but I don't want to risk tearing the
pond liner.

Has anyone any tips for removing them?

They should pull out easily, if heavily. Their desire to take over has meant
I have got rid of mine and now just use the well behaved Iris Laevegata and
I. sibirica, much nicer classy plants IMO.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 22-08-2009, 01:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Thanks

Anne Donnelly wrote:
Hi all,

When I tidy the pond in a few weeks time I am going to need to remove
some of the flag iris before they take over.

However, from experience they are difficult to remove. Normally, I use a
garden fork to dig out stubborn roots but I don't want to risk tearing
the pond liner.

Has anyone any tips for removing them?

Thanks

Anne

Thanks Kay and Bob for suggestions.

I'll give it a go in a few weeks time. I don't remember it being that
easy last time I tried but maybe I'm simply not as strong as you two
Old 22-08-2009, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Anne Donnelly writes
Anne Donnelly wrote:
Hi all,
When I tidy the pond in a few weeks time I am going to need to
remove some of the flag iris before they take over.
However, from experience they are difficult to remove. Normally, I
use a garden fork to dig out stubborn roots but I don't want to risk
tearing the pond liner.
Has anyone any tips for removing them?
Thanks
Anne

Thanks Kay and Bob for suggestions.

I'll give it a go in a few weeks time. I don't remember it being that
easy last time I tried but maybe I'm simply not as strong as you two

The key is to break them off one plant at a time, not to try to take a
whole armful ion one go.
--
Kay