Old 20-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Registered User

Default is the Homelite HL454SP Petrol Rotary Mower

Hi,
I am a newbie with what I see is a common question (but did not find an answer to how reliable the homelite is in the existing posts): moved home, now have garden (small but uneven), need lawnmower. On a tight budget, do not want electric, as we are not greeen fingers we decided that rotary is best, and found the Homelite HL454SP Petrol Rotary Mower (self propelled). It sounds good enough for us, but would like to know whether you think Homelite is reliable, and if you have any experience of this particular model.
Many thanks!
Old 20-08-2009, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"paola" wrote in message
news

Hi,
I am a newbie with what I see is a common question (but did not
find an
answer to how reliable the homelite is in the existing posts):
moved
home, now have garden (small but uneven), need lawnmower. On a
tight
budget, do not want electric, as we are not greeen fingers we
decided
that rotary is best, and found the Homelite HL454SP Petrol
Rotary Mower
(self propelled). It sounds good enough for us, but would like
to know
whether you think Homelite is reliable, and if you have any
experience
of this particular model.
Many thanks!

No experience of the Homelite brand but at £120 at
http://www.kjstoneman.co.uk/graded%20mowers.htm it looks good
value. Interestingly it is described as having a Mountfield
engine which is a reasonably reliable brand. The steel deck will
rust away over time unless you keep it clean and treat it when
overwintered. Waxoil is good for stopping steel things rusting
away.

Mike

Old 20-08-2009, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...

No experience of the Homelite brand but at £120 at
http://www.kjstoneman.co.uk/graded%20mowers.htm it looks good value.
Interestingly it is described as having a Mountfield engine which is a
reasonably reliable brand. The steel deck will rust away over time unless
you keep it clean and treat it when overwintered. Waxoil is good for
stopping steel things rusting away.

Presumably the engine is direct drive down to the rotary blade.
Interested to learn where the take off is, for the self- propulsion side of
things.
For £30 extra over the push and puff version, it seems good value.
The illustrations on the site you quote, have identical hand controls.(:-(

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 20-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Registered User

Muddymike, Pete, thank you both. Mike's link has it cheaper than at B&Q, though I am in Fife, quite a way from Devon!
and thanks for the tip on oiling the steel frame
Old 22-08-2009, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 18:06:02 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

I'd second Muddymike's point about keeping it clean. After you've used
it, clean off the grass 'paste' that builds up underneath, including
the nooks and crannies. It's this paste that holds the damp and causes
the rust.

And grows some very interesting fungi at least it does on our mower
if SWMBO'd uses it. She doesn't clean it, Grrrrr..

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 23-08-2009, 08:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 18:06:02 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

I'd second Muddymike's point about keeping it clean. After you've used
it, clean off the grass 'paste' that builds up underneath, including
the nooks and crannies. It's this paste that holds the damp and causes
the rust.

And grows some very interesting fungi at least it does on our mower
if SWMBO'd uses it. She doesn't clean it, Grrrrr..

Hey, be thankful for small mercies.. at least she is cutting the grass))))