Old 26-08-2009, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default My water butt is empty

In message , David Rance
writes
On Wed, 26 Aug 2009, Broadback wrote:

We keep getting rain forecast, but it never seems to turn up
although the rest of the country seems to be getting rain.

There was rain forecast for Wednesday, but again it seems to have
changed its mind and gone elsewhere.

I've taken the opportunity of a dry auge to water-proof it. It has
been leaking for years and this is the first time it has been empty
enough to do anything about it.
David

Where do you live Dave E?

Dave E? Who's he?

David

Big fella. Wears a hat with a tail and carries a big knife named after a
pop star I think.
--
hugh

Old 26-08-2009, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
For the first time this year.

We keep getting rain forecast, but it never seems to turn up although the
rest of the country seems to be getting rain.

There was rain forecast for Wednesday, but again it seems to have changed
its mind and gone elsewhere.

Is someone out there in the west stealing our rain?

Grass is brown and I am browned off ;-)

The ground is hard and dusty as well.

You will have to move your water butt to where it is raining!

Alan

Old 26-08-2009, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David in Normandy wrote:
David Rance wrote:
On Wed, 26 Aug 2009, Broadback wrote:

We keep getting rain forecast, but it never seems to turn up
although the rest of the country seems to be getting rain.

There was rain forecast for Wednesday, but again it seems to have
changed its mind and gone elsewhere.

I've taken the opportunity of a dry auge to water-proof it. It has
been leaking for years and this is the first time it has been empty
enough to do anything about it.
David

Where do you live Dave E?

Dave E? Who's he?

David

There are just too many Davids and Davis's in Normandy. ;-)

That's what my neighbors say, anyway!

-E
Old 26-08-2009, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David WE Roberts
writes

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "David WE Roberts" contains these words:

For the first time this year.

We keep getting rain forecast, but it never seems to turn up although the
rest of the country seems to be getting rain.

There was rain forecast for Wednesday, but again it seems to have changed
its mind and gone elsewhere.

Is someone out there in the west stealing our rain?

Yes, I stole almost a foot of it in the last 10 days.

I don't want it any more so you can have it back, send a pipe.

Janet (Arran)

There you go: "|"
[Obscure computing joke which will warm the cockles of the nerdish
heart :-) ]

In a more geekish group than this they had a code group to represent:

"Snort coke/coffee through pipe onto keyboard"
It seemed better than LOL..

I can't remember it though...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 26-08-2009, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David in Normandy
writes

There are just too many Davids and Davis's in Normandy. ;-)

I only know of Norman and Mandy.

(I'll get me coat)...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Old 26-08-2009, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In a more geekish group than this they had a code group to represent:

"Snort coke/coffee through pipe onto keyboard"
It seemed better than LOL..

I can't remember it though...

You need to work on this anecdote.
mark

Old 26-08-2009, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009, David in Normandy wrote:

There was rain forecast for Wednesday, but again it seems to have
changed its mind and gone elsewhere.

I've taken the opportunity of a dry auge to water-proof it. It has
been leaking for years and this is the first time it has been empty
enough to do anything about it.
David

Where do you live Dave E?

Dave E? Who's he?

There are just too many Davids and Davis's in Normandy. ;-)

Makes it easier to remember. Rather have that than have to say to
people, "Er, what's your name again?"

David (in Normandy!!!!)

--
David Rance
writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Old 26-08-2009, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
David Rance wrote:
On Tue, 25 Aug 2009, David WE Roberts wrote:

For the first time this year.

We keep getting rain forecast, but it never seems to turn up although
the rest of the country seems to be getting rain.

There was rain forecast for Wednesday, but again it seems to have
changed its mind and gone elsewhere.

I've taken the opportunity of a dry auge to water-proof it. It has been
leaking for years and this is the first time it has been empty enough to
do anything about it.

David

Where do you live Dave E? We will all go there for our holidays!

If you mean me, I live in Felixstowe which is a holiday resort.
By all means come for your holidays - it is really nice here unless you want
some rain on your garden.
Lots of B&B, hotels, camp sites, caravan parks.
[I have no financial interest as we try and avoid the Grockles ;-) ]

Good place for growing tomatoes as well, because first frosts can be as late
as November (I've had outdoor tomatoes still going at Christmas some years).

Old 26-08-2009, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...
For the first time this year.

We keep getting rain forecast, but it never seems to turn up although the
rest of the country seems to be getting rain.

There was rain forecast for Wednesday, but again it seems to have changed
its mind and gone elsewhere.

Is someone out there in the west stealing our rain?

Grass is brown and I am browned off ;-)

The ground is hard and dusty as well.

Cheers

Dave R

I hope you took cover while typing that! we have had barely a weeks sun
all summer and have had rain every single day since June
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

You lucky, lucky b*stard!

You could always move to a coastal resort with regular fine weather and a
dry microclimate. :-))

Old 26-08-2009, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-26 18:38:15 +0100, "David WE Roberts" said:

[...]

Like Cornwall? ;-))
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-08-2009, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-26 18:38:15 +0100, "David WE Roberts" said:

[...]

No, like Felixstowe! [Where it is actually raining for once :-}]

--
Kathy
A person who doesn't like cats must have been a mouse in a previous life.

Old 26-08-2009, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mine are still full, Its just too easy to pump water from the
well these days.

Mike

Old 26-08-2009, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-26 18:38:15 +0100, "David WE Roberts" said:

[...]

Serves you right. ;-) Some of our family are in the Isle of Wight
atm and say it was dry and warm there today, if not actually sunny.
Wish we could say the same here, though it wasn't cold, I will admit!

Old 27-08-2009, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-26 18:38:15 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
said:

[...]

Damn!
Must have missed that - we were in Ipswich yesterday waiting for the man
from Siemens to come and change the gas meter at my daughter's house.
They gave an 08:00 to 20:00 appointment :-(
There was a sprinkling of rain in the morning, but barely enought to wet the
grass; just enough to settle all the dust out of the air onto the car.
It gave me the chance to add some more plants (lavender) to the dust bowl
which is her front garden, apply some Growmore and chicken sh*t, and cover
the lot with four bags of manure (which I expect to disappear without trace
within a month).
I then spent quite a lot of time watering with a hose pipe to try and get
enough moisture in to rescue the previous planting and give the new plants a
half way decent start.
If it doesn't rain I'll have to go back in a week or so to water the garden
again, I think.

Cheers

Dave R

Oh, and my water butt is STILL empty.

Old 27-08-2009, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

All mine (eight) are overflowing !
You clearly need a larger catchment area and more butts.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com