Old 26-08-2009, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default help needed with some ID, please

Sacha writes
On 2009-08-26 12:07:17 +0100, bob said:

thanks to all for input. I'll be taking a look at some pics on line
to see how these compare...
I've previous experience of Euphorbia and I remember it became
rampant. I think it might have to go.

Caper spurge is a biennial (or at least it is in Yorkshire). Once it
flowers, it dies.

There are other *much* more beautiful and interesting forms such as
E.mellifera, which has a lovely scent

but if you think the others are 'rampant' ....!!!

And it self-seeds everywhere.

--
Kay
Old 26-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Charlie Pridham[_2_
;http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-3.jpg
[/i][/color][/i][/color][/i][/color]
Looks like Campsis radicans
Well spotted. It didn't occur to me, but now you've said it , I can see it looks precisely like it. I hope OP's flowers. Mine sulks, and is far from the rampant beasty it is supposed to be, and has never given me a flower.
Old 27-08-2009, 07:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-26 21:36:39 +0100, echinosum
said:

'Charlie Pridham[_2_ Wrote:
;http://tinyurl.com/md282s
[/i][/color]
Looks like Campsis radicans
[/i][/color]
Well spotted. It didn't occur to me, but now you've said it , I can see
it looks precisely like it.[/i][/color]

Same here. I must try lateral thinking. Of course now Charlie has
said it and looking more closely at the top growth, I can see it.
snip
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 27-08-2009, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha writes
On 2009-08-26 12:07:17 +0100, bob said:

thanks to all for input. I'll be taking a look at some pics on line
to see how these compare...
I've previous experience of Euphorbia and I remember it became
rampant. I think it might have to go.

Caper spurge is a biennial (or at least it is in Yorkshire). Once it
flowers, it dies.

There are other *much* more beautiful and interesting forms such as
E.mellifera, which has a lovely scent

but if you think the others are 'rampant' ....!!!

And it self-seeds everywhere.

Well now that's v. interesting because while ours has certainly
self-seeded, we only have about 4 plants as a result of that. And we
do have one quite large stand of E. mellifera which gives plenty of
opportunity! Perhaps it has something to do with soil or position.
OTOH, I'm forever pulling out caper spurge.

Old 27-08-2009, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-26 12:07:17 +0100, bob said:

thanks to all for input. I'll be taking a look at some pics on line
to see how these compare...

I've previous experience of Euphorbia and I remember it became
rampant. I think it might have to go.

There are other *much* more beautiful and interesting forms such as
E.mellifera, which has a lovely scent and E. polychroma just to name
two and depending a bit on where your garden is as to warmth, frost,
shelter, etc.

I'll definitely check those out - thanks for the tip!

Old 27-08-2009, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 12:56:43 +0100, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-3.jpg

Looks like Campsis radicans

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-5.jpg

Looks like a begonia, possibly grandis

Good - thanks for those.

Re the Campsis - I've only just twigged, there's a mature one of these
flowering in my garden right now a few feet away but this tiny thing,
only just come to my notice this year, hasn't flowered so far. I
didn't recognise it.

Is this a safe time to move it to another spot in the garden?
Old 28-08-2009, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-3.jpg

Looks like Campsis radicans

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-5.jpg

Looks like a begonia, possibly grandis

Good - thanks for those.

Re the Campsis - I've only just twigged, there's a mature one of these
flowering in my garden right now a few feet away but this tiny thing,
only just come to my notice this year, hasn't flowered so far. I
didn't recognise it.

Is this a safe time to move it to another spot in the garden?

They seem to sulk a bit whenever you move them, but eventually recover.
It's a good plant to pot up for charity plant sales.

But the fact that this one has appeared a few feet from the parent should
start the warning flags flying. It is invasive, and spreads many feet from
the main plant, even pushing up in the gaps between paving stones.

--
Jeff

Old 29-08-2009, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 11:36:34 +0100, "Jeff Layman"
wrote:

Re the Campsis - I've only just twigged, there's a mature one of these
flowering in my garden right now a few feet away but this tiny thing,
only just come to my notice this year, hasn't flowered so far. I
didn't recognise it.

Is this a safe time to move it to another spot in the garden?

They seem to sulk a bit whenever you move them, but eventually recover.
It's a good plant to pot up for charity plant sales.

But the fact that this one has appeared a few feet from the parent should
start the warning flags flying. It is invasive, and spreads many feet from
the main plant, even pushing up in the gaps between paving stones.

Cripes, I hadn't thought of that! But maybe I understated the "few".
I'd say (guessing because I'm in the uk - garden in France) there's 6
feet of concrete followed by another 6 feet of earth between the two.
Could it have such a wide root system?
Old 29-08-2009, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , bob says...
wrote:

[...]

Yes! especially if the roots get damaged due to cold, digging or mice!!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 29-08-2009, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

As Charlie has said, it can easily span that distance.

I am surprised that this is not mentioned by gardening books, which are
quick to point out that, eg, Rhus typhina spreads underground and is liable
to pop up all over the place. In my limited experience, Campsis is not
dissimilar.

--
Jeff

Old 30-08-2009, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Ok, well, thanks for the cautionary note. I'll just have to keep
vigilant and pull them up as needs be. If they break through the
concrete I'll have to think again.