Old 27-08-2009, 12:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Shady and not that moist bed: perennial recommendations?

We have a 9'x9' bed, dominated by a largish flowering currant bush in
its centre. The bed is mostly in the shade throughout the day, some
sun however sneaks through and the soil is not particularly moist. On
the south side of the bed is a small patch of St. John's Wort, on the
east side some sweet woodruff groundcover. We would like some
recommendations for a few other perennials to plant that can tolerate
shade and being dry. We tried some deer ferns and astilbe but they
didn't like it much.

Any ideas greatly appreciated -- Larry
Old 27-08-2009, 07:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-27 00:47:26 +0100, lagagnon said:

We have a 9'x9' bed, dominated by a largish flowering currant bush in
its centre. The bed is mostly in the shade throughout the day, some
sun however sneaks through and the soil is not particularly moist. On
the south side of the bed is a small patch of St. John's Wort, on the
east side some sweet woodruff groundcover. We would like some
recommendations for a few other perennials to plant that can tolerate
shade and being dry. We tried some deer ferns and astilbe but they
didn't like it much.

Any ideas greatly appreciated -- Larry

Try a couple of hardy geraniums and see how they get on. Ann Folkard
and Jolly Bee are good ones, IMO.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 27-08-2009, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Larry, I have hardy cyclamen thriving under a biggish yew tree. The
autumn ones are looking wonderful just now, and you can get others that
flower at different times of year.

HTH

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org
Old 27-08-2009, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Hugh Newbury wrote:
Larry, I have hardy cyclamen thriving under a biggish yew tree. The
autumn ones are looking wonderful just now, and you can get others that
flower at different times of year.

Cyclamen coum and hederifolium are hardy, provided that they remain
reasonably dry in winter. I have a superb patch in the rain shadow
under the eaves and, as you say, they do well under evergreens.
They don't like competition, and are adapted to grow and flower in
spring and autumn and go dormant in summer and winter.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Shady Bed Alan Harrison Gardening 0 11-03-2007 11:07 AM
Keeping grass seed moist... Chuck Gardening 9 05-06-2003 01:44 PM
Pre moist food before feeding?? MISSYMAGICGIRL Ponds (alternative) 1 06-05-2003 12:56 PM
what trees are good for moist soils? HI HI- Gardening 0 20-03-2003 12:20 PM
what trees are good for moist soils? redclay Gardening 7 18-03-2003 05:20 PM