Old 30-08-2009, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lily beetles

"Martin" wrote in message
We bought some lily bulbs in Holland, My daughter bought some in N
Staffordshire. Now both of us have gardens full of munching lily beetles,
which
we never had before. Aren't the producers of bulbs under any obligation to
ensure that what they sell doesn't contain parasites too? Maybe it is time
return to the days when imported/exported plants had to be accompanied
with a
health certificate.
--

Martin

I know it's very disheartening to share your bulbs with these pests but, as
far as I know, no part of the lily beetle life cycle survives in the bulb
itself, so your red enemy has probably arrived from a local garden. Try
using a systemic insecticide which will stop the critters at the first bite.
I confess I pick my lily beetles off and stamp on them, but I still have to
look out for eggs and larvae in case I didn't catch them in time.

Spider

lily beetles enigma Gardening 5 31-05-2005 10:44 PM
Lily Beetles Spider United Kingdom 4 24-05-2005 07:03 PM
Lily Beetles Colin Jacobs United Kingdom 2 19-02-2005 10:50 PM
lily beetles - what eats them ? And summer bulbs. Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat United Kingdom 14 23-05-2004 05:07 PM
Lily beetles spreading... Bob United Kingdom 10 20-05-2004 12:05 PM