Old 01-09-2009, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cruising OFF TOPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Judith in France" wrote in message
We often read about cruises on urg, so here's my little bit of info.
We are going on a cruise for Christmas!!!! The first ever, from
France to Italy, to Sicily,Crete, Egypt, Rome and a few more places I
can't remember. My husband phoned tonight, I am in England and told
me it is all booked up and the dog is booked into kenels. I can't
wait although I am a bit concerned; I came over on the ferry from
France due to problems with the Channel Tunnel and I felt decidedly
queasy en route, what hope for me on the open seas??? The first time
I sailed wth my husband was in Greece, on our honeymoon, we capsized
but it was just a sailing dingy. The other times I have sailed were,
again, in a Lazer and that is the sum total of my experience with
boats. I was a wimp then and I suspect I still am even though it will
be on a liner.

Judith

Try taking Stugeron tablets a few hours before. They worked for my partner
when we were crossing the Pacific, and for me sailing across the Drake
Passage.

The other thing you can get is a small scopolamine patch to wear behind your
ear, I think it's called Scopoderm, but you'd probably need to get it from a
doctor. It certainly worked for my partner, who almost throws up when
looking at a bucket of water. It's certainly worth considering.

If your ship has stabilizers you should be OK anyway.

Hope you have a great time!

someone

Old 02-09-2009, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1 Sep, 12:53, Des Higgins wrote:
On Aug 31, 9:43*pm, Judith in France
wrote:

We often read about cruises on urg, so here's my little bit of info.
We are going on a cruise for Christmas!!!! *The first ever, from
France to Italy, to Sicily,Crete, Egypt, Rome and a few more places I
can't remember. *My husband phoned tonight, I am in England and told
me it is all booked up and the dog is booked into kenels. *I can't
wait although I am a bit concerned; I came over on the ferry from
France due to problems with the Channel Tunnel and I felt decidedly
queasy en route, what hope for me on the open seas???

I get badly travel sick and have done since I was a kid. *Sea-sickness
was always the worst for me because you are trapped with no way out.
People who do not get sea-sick do not understand how grim it is or how
little you can fix it. *So, I used to dread sea crossings (despite
really enjoying the few times I have gone sailing; I once won a GP14
race with a guy and I got sick 3 times) and tried all manner of
solutions.
It DOES help if you can see the horizon. *Staring at a table or door
is not good; it is better if you can see into the distance; drugs do
help a bit (sea-sick pills). *But, about 20 years ago, I magically
discovered a wonder cure. *It does not work for everyone but many
people do not even try it. *It now works for me every time and I now
look forward to sea crossings on ferries.
You have to lie down.
That is all. *Staring at a ceiling when you are lying down is relaxing
even in the roughest seas. I discovered this in a bad storm sailing
from Cape Clear Island (near the Fastnet Rock) back to the mainland in
a 23 foot boat. *It is only a 1 hour sail normally. *I was on deck and
helpless (in a queasy stupor) and was sent below to get me out of the
way. *Initially this seemed horrible because just going down the steps
made me feel terrible. *I lay down on a bunk and 10 seconds later,
felt great. *I just lay there while the 4 other people on deck got
soaked and had to sail us home. *I emerged as we pulled into Baltimore
Harbour, refreshed.

The first time
I sailed wth my husband was in Greece, on our honeymoon, we capsized
but it was just a sailing dingy. *The other times I have sailed were,
again, in a Lazer and that is the sum total of my experience with
boats. *I was a wimp then and I suspect I still am even though it will
be on a liner.

Judith

So I will have to lay prone for a couple of weeks then :-)

Judith
Old 02-09-2009, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1 Sep, 16:18, "Augustus O'Muircheartaigh"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Judith- Hide quoted text -

Des, again off topic my grandson is now playing football for Eire in
the under 17's league. *He arrived in Poland yesterday and should be
playing Russia as I write. *I thought you being Irish would appreciate
an English boy, playing for Eire, through me his Granny, who is, as
you know Irish:-)

Judith

kewl!!!!
We need anyone we can get these days.
There was a very famous evolutionary biologist called John Maynard
Smith. *His daughter moved to Ireland and had a son there. *I heard
him explain with great pride once that once when his daughter and
grandson were visiting, Ireland were playing England in a soccer
international. *The grandson insisted on an Irish flag being flown in
the garden. This was in a posh suburb of Brighton and JMS happily
agreed because it added to the image of him being a rebellious nutty
professor. *There have also been Irish guys to play rugby for England
(e.g. Kieron Bracken) and recently some guys called Joyce played
cricket for England.

They lost yesterday to Russia 2-1, I think it is Sweden today, though
not sure.

Judith
Old 02-09-2009, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1 Sep, 22:51, "someone" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in ...

[...]

Thanks, I'll do a bit of Googling for that.

Judith
Old 02-09-2009, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-02 11:42:20 +0100, Judith in France
said:

On 1 Sep, 22:51, "someone" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in messagenews:7f0

[...]

snip

Thanks, I'll do a bit of Googling for that.

Judith

I swear by Stugeron but cruise lliners have stabilisers and you'll be
very, very unlucky to have a bad day that will make you sea sick. I'm
not a good sailor, even though I love sailing and I took Stugeron like
smarties all down the French, Spanish and Portuguese coast until we got
to Gibraltar. After that I thought I should tough it out but my sea
legs were well established by then! I know others who find the wrist
bands very effective but I haven't tried those myself.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-09-2009, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

The BIGGG match is Saturday, Irl vs. Cyprus. If we win, it gives us a
chance to get into the next world cup finals.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-02 11:42:20 +0100, Judith in France
said:

On 1 Sep, 22:51, "someone" wrote:
[...]

Stugeron do work but make me very drowsy and you have to keep a big
supply handy for a long trip. They are well worth having though. In
really bad storms, I still get sick even with them but feel fine if I
can lie down.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-02 11:42:20 +0100, Judith in France
said:

On 1 Sep, 22:51, "someone" wrote:
[...]

Funny, isn't it - they're the only ones that don't make me drowsy.
Anything else and I'm out for a few hours!

Old 02-09-2009, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

someone wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in message

snippy
Try taking Stugeron tablets a few hours before. They worked for my
partner when we were crossing the Pacific, and for me sailing across
the Drake Passage.

The other thing you can get is a small scopolamine patch to wear
behind your ear, I think it's called Scopoderm, but you'd probably
need to get it from a doctor. It certainly worked for my partner,
who almost throws up when looking at a bucket of water. It's
certainly worth considering.
If your ship has stabilizers you should be OK anyway.

Hope you have a great time!

Ginger. As in wine or ale..........a wee dram in the ale is permissible
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 03-09-2009, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

They lost again yesterday!!!! Today is sightseeing and then another
game tomorrow.

Judith