Old 31-08-2009, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cruising OFF TOPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We often read about cruises on urg, so here's my little bit of info.
We are going on a cruise for Christmas!!!! The first ever, from
France to Italy, to Sicily,Crete, Egypt, Rome and a few more places I
can't remember. My husband phoned tonight, I am in England and told
me it is all booked up and the dog is booked into kenels. I can't
wait although I am a bit concerned; I came over on the ferry from
France due to problems with the Channel Tunnel and I felt decidedly
queasy en route, what hope for me on the open seas??? The first time
I sailed wth my husband was in Greece, on our honeymoon, we capsized
but it was just a sailing dingy. The other times I have sailed were,
again, in a Lazer and that is the sum total of my experience with
boats. I was a wimp then and I suspect I still am even though it will
be on a liner.

Judith
Old 31-08-2009, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009, Judith in France wrote:

My husband phoned tonight, I am in England and told
me it is all booked up and the dog is booked into kenels. I can't
wait although I am a bit concerned; I came over on the ferry from
France due to problems with the Channel Tunnel ...

Problems with the Tunnel. Was this recently? We are due to return via
the Tunnel on Thursday.

I do hope we don't have a repeat of our return journey last year.
Because our two cats were with us we didn't use the
Ouistreham-Portsmouth crossing but booked to come via the Tunnel. On the
motorway approaching the Pont de Normandie we had a puncture. That
delayed us for over an hour. When we arrived at the Tunnel in Calais it
was to discover that it had been closed because of a fire so we had to
wait four hours for a ferry. It took sixteen hours altogether. The cats
were very patient and didn't start wailing until we were about two miles
from home!

Judith, do tell me I'm worrying unnecessarily!

David

--
David Rance
writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Old 31-08-2009, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 31 Aug, 22:03, David Rance wrote:
[...]

A friend of mine has been on cruises in the Med for the last few
years, last year he was on one of the Massive cruise ships, (with
some up to 4000 pasangers), had a great time on the ship, but
excursions........
When they got to Alexandria and were going to the pyramids, they has
53 coaches going there, I dread being somewhere like Valetta henn one
of those things berths, and last summer on one day they had 5 cruise
ships in at the same time.
Hope you have a great time
David Hill
Old 01-09-2009, 08:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
We often read about cruises on urg, so here's my little bit of info.
We are going on a cruise for Christmas!!!! The first ever, from
France to Italy, to Sicily,Crete, Egypt, Rome and a few more places I
can't remember. My husband phoned tonight, I am in England and told
me it is all booked up and the dog is booked into kenels. I can't
wait although I am a bit concerned; I came over on the ferry from
France due to problems with the Channel Tunnel and I felt decidedly
queasy en route, what hope for me on the open seas??? The first time
I sailed wth my husband was in Greece, on our honeymoon, we capsized
but it was just a sailing dingy. The other times I have sailed were,
again, in a Lazer and that is the sum total of my experience with
boats. I was a wimp then and I suspect I still am even though it will
be on a liner.

I don't know but I hope you have a wonderful time

Old 01-09-2009, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 22:03:27 +0100, David Rance wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Judith, please tell me, too! We are using Eurostar on Saturday.

(And my sympathies David, must have been hell)

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through uk.rec.gardening

Old 01-09-2009, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 21:43:05 +0100, Judith in France wrote
(in article
):

We often read about cruises on urg, so here's my little bit of info.
We are going on a cruise for Christmas!!!! The first ever, from
France to Italy, to Sicily,Crete, Egypt, Rome and a few more places I
can't remember. My husband phoned tonight, I am in England and told
me it is all booked up and the dog is booked into kenels. I can't
wait although I am a bit concerned; I came over on the ferry from
France due to problems with the Channel Tunnel and I felt decidedly
queasy en route, what hope for me on the open seas??? The first time
I sailed wth my husband was in Greece, on our honeymoon, we capsized
but it was just a sailing dingy. The other times I have sailed were,
again, in a Lazer and that is the sum total of my experience with
boats. I was a wimp then and I suspect I still am even though it will
be on a liner.

I'm sure you don't need to worry, Judith. We have not been on a cruise per
se, but have been on the ship that goes up the coast of Norway (Hurtigruten)
and also on one of the same line's maiden voyages across the North Sea and
into various ports en route. They were /nothing/ like the cross channel
ferry! Much much more comfortable and stable. Have a great time. It's a
wonderful way to see places and not have to re-pack every day.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

David, I came back with my daughter who had a delay each time she used
the tunnel, the last one was when the train just stopped, the lights
went out, no explanation was given and she just had to sit there for a
time until it started again. There seems to be some delays, without
explanation and it is not certain that you will get away at your
planned time. Hopefully now that the grand retour is over, with
schools being back, you won't have a problem, fingers crossed.

Judith
Old 01-09-2009, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31 Aug, 23:11, Dave Hill wrote:
[...]

David Hill- Hide quoted text -

Thanks David, interesting, would you go again?

Judith
Old 01-09-2009, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1 Sep, 09:42, Sally Thompson wrote:
[...]

Posted through uk.rec.gardening- Hide quoted text -

I haven't had a problem on Eurostar, odd isn't it? I used Eurostar in
June, it was great, I used Ebbsfleet for the firt time. It was very
quiet not at all like the other Eurostar stations.

Judith
Old 01-09-2009, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1 Sep, 08:08, "Ophelia" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in ...

[...]

Thanks O, I will miss my dog though, she is booked into kenells.

Judith

Old 01-09-2009, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1 Sep, 09:45, Sally Thompson wrote:
[...]

Sally, I forgot to mention about 33 years ago, Edward was lecturing in
Germany and for a change we took the ferry going up the Elba, I would
never, ever again do that, I have never been so sick in my life and we
had to strap ourselves into our bunks, shudder, I feel nauseus just
thinking of it.

Judith
Old 01-09-2009, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 31, 9:43*pm, Judith in France
wrote:
We often read about cruises on urg, so here's my little bit of info.
We are going on a cruise for Christmas!!!! *The first ever, from
France to Italy, to Sicily,Crete, Egypt, Rome and a few more places I
can't remember. *My husband phoned tonight, I am in England and told
me it is all booked up and the dog is booked into kenels. *I can't
wait although I am a bit concerned; I came over on the ferry from
France due to problems with the Channel Tunnel and I felt decidedly
queasy en route, what hope for me on the open seas???

I get badly travel sick and have done since I was a kid. Sea-sickness
was always the worst for me because you are trapped with no way out.
People who do not get sea-sick do not understand how grim it is or how
little you can fix it. So, I used to dread sea crossings (despite
really enjoying the few times I have gone sailing; I once won a GP14
race with a guy and I got sick 3 times) and tried all manner of
solutions.
It DOES help if you can see the horizon. Staring at a table or door
is not good; it is better if you can see into the distance; drugs do
help a bit (sea-sick pills). But, about 20 years ago, I magically
discovered a wonder cure. It does not work for everyone but many
people do not even try it. It now works for me every time and I now
look forward to sea crossings on ferries.
You have to lie down.
That is all. Staring at a ceiling when you are lying down is relaxing
even in the roughest seas. I discovered this in a bad storm sailing
from Cape Clear Island (near the Fastnet Rock) back to the mainland in
a 23 foot boat. It is only a 1 hour sail normally. I was on deck and
helpless (in a queasy stupor) and was sent below to get me out of the
way. Initially this seemed horrible because just going down the steps
made me feel terrible. I lay down on a bunk and 10 seconds later,
felt great. I just lay there while the 4 other people on deck got
soaked and had to sail us home. I emerged as we pulled into Baltimore
Harbour, refreshed.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 1 Sep 2009, Judith in France wrote:

Judith, do tell me I'm worrying unnecessarily!

David, I came back with my daughter who had a delay each time she used
the tunnel, the last one was when the train just stopped, the lights
went out, no explanation was given and she just had to sit there for a
time until it started again. There seems to be some delays, without
explanation and it is not certain that you will get away at your
planned time. Hopefully now that the grand retour is over, with
schools being back, you won't have a problem, fingers crossed.

Ah thanks for the detail. Very strange happenings indeed. We've been
lucky then, for apart from last year's unfortunate fire our tunnel
crossings have been without incident. In fact, we can usually get an
earlier train than the one we've been booked on.

David

Old 01-09-2009, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Judith- Hide quoted text -

Des, again off topic my grandson is now playing football for Eire in
the under 17's league. He arrived in Poland yesterday and should be
playing Russia as I write. I thought you being Irish would appreciate
an English boy, playing for Eire, through me his Granny, who is, as
you know Irish:-)

Judith
Old 01-09-2009, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

kewl!!!!
We need anyone we can get these days.
There was a very famous evolutionary biologist called John Maynard
Smith. His daughter moved to Ireland and had a son there. I heard
him explain with great pride once that once when his daughter and
grandson were visiting, Ireland were playing England in a soccer
international. The grandson insisted on an Irish flag being flown in
the garden. This was in a posh suburb of Brighton and JMS happily
agreed because it added to the image of him being a rebellious nutty
professor. There have also been Irish guys to play rugby for England
(e.g. Kieron Bracken) and recently some guys called Joyce played
cricket for England.