Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-09-2009, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cruising OFF TOPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On Sep 1, 3:57*pm, Judith in France
wrote:
On 1 Sep, 12:53, Des Higgins wrote:

On Aug 31, 9:43*pm, Judith in France
wrote:

We often read about cruises on urg, so here's my little bit of info.
We are going on a cruise for Christmas!!!! *The first ever, from
France to Italy, to Sicily,Crete, Egypt, Rome and a few more places I
can't remember. *My husband phoned tonight, I am in England and told
me it is all booked up and the dog is booked into kenels. *I can't
wait although I am a bit concerned; I came over on the ferry from
France due to problems with the Channel Tunnel and I felt decidedly
queasy en route, what hope for me on the open seas???

I get badly travel sick and have done since I was a kid. *Sea-sickness
was always the worst for me because you are trapped with no way out.
People who do not get sea-sick do not understand how grim it is or how
little you can fix it. *So, I used to dread sea crossings (despite
really enjoying the few times I have gone sailing; I once won a GP14
race with a guy and I got sick 3 times) and tried all manner of
solutions.
It DOES help if you can see the horizon. *Staring at a table or door
is not good; it is better if you can see into the distance; drugs do
help a bit (sea-sick pills). *But, about 20 years ago, I magically
discovered a wonder cure. *It does not work for everyone but many
people do not even try it. *It now works for me every time and I now
look forward to sea crossings on ferries.
You have to lie down.
That is all. *Staring at a ceiling when you are lying down is relaxing
even in the roughest seas. I discovered this in a bad storm sailing
from Cape Clear Island (near the Fastnet Rock) back to the mainland in
a 23 foot boat. *It is only a 1 hour sail normally. *I was on deck and
helpless (in a queasy stupor) and was sent below to get me out of the
way. *Initially this seemed horrible because just going down the steps
made me feel terrible. *I lay down on a bunk and 10 seconds later,
felt great. *I just lay there while the 4 other people on deck got
soaked and had to sail us home. *I emerged as we pulled into Baltimore
Harbour, refreshed.

The first time
I sailed wth my husband was in Greece, on our honeymoon, we capsized
but it was just a sailing dingy. *The other times I have sailed were,
again, in a Lazer and that is the sum total of my experience with
boats. *I was a wimp then and I suspect I still am even though it will
be on a liner.

Judith- Hide quoted text -

Des, again off topic my grandson is now playing football for Eire in
the under 17's league. *He arrived in Poland yesterday and should be
playing Russia as I write. *I thought you being Irish would appreciate
an English boy, playing for Eire, through me his Granny, who is, as
you know Irish:-)

Judith

kewl!!!!
We need anyone we can get these days.
There was a very famous evolutionary biologist called John Maynard
Smith. His daughter moved to Ireland and had a son there. I heard
him explain with great pride once that once when his daughter and
grandson were visiting, Ireland were playing England in a soccer
international. The grandson insisted on an Irish flag being flown in
the garden. This was in a posh suburb of Brighton and JMS happily
agreed because it added to the image of him being a rebellious nutty
professor. There have also been Irish guys to play rugby for England
(e.g. Kieron Bracken) and recently some guys called Joyce played
cricket for England.