Old 27-04-2003, 04:36 PM
Charlie

Default Aphids (I think)

I think I've found aphids on the bottom of my mint leaves. There are lots
of little green bugs and foam like stuff on a few leaves. How do I get rid
of them? I'd prefer natural / free / cheap ways, but will use chemicals if
I have to, although I'm not sure if this would be harmful on herbs that I
eat! Please someone help me!

Charlie.

--
www.lowfidelity.org.uk
RCTQ Double Princess of Britain

---

Old 27-04-2003, 05:20 PM
Mike

I had this as well and was wondering what they were. Only difference is
that the ones I've got are yellow. The first two pictures here I took
today on my blackberry bush:
http://www.zen14024.zen.co.uk/garden/

While we're on the subject of pest identification, can anyone identify
what the object in the bottom two pictures is. I found it in the soil
and thought it was maybe a moth or something

Cheers

Mike

Old 27-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Charlie

That's the same foamy stuff. I hope they stay on my herbs and dont get into
my mini greenhouse! Or onto my fruit bushed for that matter.

Charlie.

.. .

Old 27-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Natalie

"Charlie" wrote in message
I think I've found aphids on the bottom of my mint leaves. There are lots
of little green bugs and foam like stuff on a few leaves. How do I get

rid
of them? I'd prefer natural / free / cheap ways, but will use chemicals

if
I have to, although I'm not sure if this would be harmful on herbs that I
eat! Please someone help me!

For all leaf/stem sucking insects I use washing up liquid. Generally give
the plant a good clean, using a spray, if they are delicate, or a j-cloth
;-)

I believe it is the fatty acids in the washing up liquid that does the job.

Natalie

Old 27-04-2003, 06:45 PM
Rod

"Charlie" wrote in message ...
I think I've found aphids on the bottom of my mint leaves. There are lots
of little green bugs and foam like stuff on a few leaves. How do I get rid
of them? I'd prefer natural / free / cheap ways, but will use chemicals if
I have to, although I'm not sure if this would be harmful on herbs that I
eat! Please someone help me!

Froghopper larvae ('Cuckoo spit') Not particularly damaging on outdoor crops - hardly ever seen indoors. Squash 'em wash
'em off, spray with one of the soapy insecticides or ignore them - whatever you prefer it's no big deal. Certainly not
worth resorting to heavy duty pesticides. The pupae in Mike's lower photo are of some kind of moth most likely one of
the noctuids like 'Angle Shades' moth. Caterpillars hide in the soil near the base of plants in daytime and feed on the
plants at night. Not really a problem on outdoor crops - can be serious under glass. Hand picking or bacillus
thuringiensis spray (biological control) according to taste. The bacillus shouldn't be used indiscriminately outdoors
because it is harmful to all butterflies and moths.

Rod

Old 27-04-2003, 06:45 PM
Martin Sykes

"Mike" wrote in message
.. .
I had this as well and was wondering what they were. Only difference is
that the ones I've got are yellow. The first two pictures here I took
today on my blackberry bush:
http://www.zen14024.zen.co.uk/garden/

While we're on the subject of pest identification, can anyone identify
what the object in the bottom two pictures is. I found it in the soil
and thought it was maybe a moth or something

Cheers

Mike

The foamy stuff is caused froghoppers I think. Also called cuckoo spit:
http://www.uksafari.com/froghopper.htm

I think you're right about the second picture. It's a moth pupa. Look at the
moth on this page:
http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/insects.htm

It's almost identical.

Martin

Old 27-04-2003, 07:20 PM
bnd777

spraying with a soap solution or washing up liquid solution may work wonders
.......be sure to spray under the leaves though

Old 27-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Mike

Thanks for the replys. That moth pupa looks spot-on. Very interesting
link. I've also had a lot of what I now know to be Hawthorn Shieldbug

Cheers

Mike

Martin Sykes wrote:
.. .

Old 27-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Chris Hogg

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 16:27:25 +0100, "Charlie"
wrote:

I think I've found aphids on the bottom of my mint leaves. There are lots
of little green bugs and foam like stuff on a few leaves. How do I get rid
of them? I'd prefer natural / free / cheap ways, but will use chemicals if
I have to, although I'm not sure if this would be harmful on herbs that I
eat! Please someone help me!

Charlie.

Sounds like you may have both greenfly and cuckoo-spit (aka
frog-hoppers when mature). Apparently you can use a soft soap solution
to kill the greenfly (someone please give both Charlie and myself a
recipe i.e. how much of what soap in how much water: the only time
I've tried it I used dilute washing-up liquid and all the leaves
shriveled :-( ) As for the cuckoo-spit, use your fingers/nails and
squash the little yellow-green sap-sucker that lives in the middle of
the blob of froth.

--
Chris

Old 27-04-2003, 07:45 PM
Charlie

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
As for the cuckoo-spit, use your fingers/nails and
squash the little yellow-green sap-sucker that lives in the middle of
the blob of froth.

Ew, yuk! I have to touch it?

Charlie.

---

Old 27-04-2003, 08:08 PM
Mike

All

While looking around the web, I came across this interesting site that
you may not have seen before.

http://www.gardensafari.net/first/bugs.htm

Old 27-04-2003, 08:08 PM
Rick McGreal

"Charlie" wrote in
:

As for the cuckoo-spit, use your fingers/nails and
squash the little yellow-green sap-sucker that lives in the middle of
the blob of froth.

Ew, yuk! I have to touch it?

In that case....Get an old spoon....Carefull scrape it up....Tip it on the
floor or a paint tin lid and use the back of the spoon to squish it....

Then irridate your hands B-)

BTW...Am one of teh few people that has 2 spoons in my garden tool kit??
A big ladle spoon and a small desert spoon.......
People around here think I'm mental or something....

Old 27-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Rod

"Charlie" wrote in message

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
As for the cuckoo-spit, use your fingers/nails and
squash the little yellow-green sap-sucker that lives in the middle of
the blob of froth.

Ew, yuk! I have to touch it?

Close yer eyes and think of England - I won't hurt you. Then you can move on
to slugs and cabbage white caterpillars.

Rod

Old 27-04-2003, 09:20 PM
William Tasso

Rick McGreal wrote:

BTW...Am one of teh few people that has 2 spoons in my garden tool
kit?? A big ladle spoon and a small desert spoon.......

We keep a pot of saxa (salt) for the slugs in our kit - but they're better
with garlic and breadcrumbs ;o)

--
William Tasso

Old 27-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Rick McGreal contains these words:

BTW...Am one of teh few people that has 2 spoons in my garden tool kit??
A big ladle spoon and a small desert spoon.......

Is that all ? :-) I use several spoons and a table knife; and a
battered old seive and colander (both retired from kitchen duty). Our
kitchen bread knife has led a double life for many years, slashing
nettles and comfrey, cutting cabbages and caulis, trimming lettuces by
the compost heap, etc. The steak knife set we got as a wedding present,
were put to better use for taproot weeds and asparagus. A tea-strainer
covers the air vent in my new wormbin.

Janet.

aphids Wilf & Helen Ponds 3 19-11-2003 06:12 AM
Aphids on hibiscus ame-ame Australia 5 24-04-2003 01:56 AM
Aphids Wilf & Helen Ponds 2 26-02-2003 06:51 PM
aphids Bonnie Espenshade Ponds 10 25-02-2003 03:52 AM
tiny gnats -flies- aphids David Shalita Edible Gardening 1 31-01-2003 02:14 AM