Old 13-09-2009, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Poorly lawn

Several wierd patches have developed on my lawn this year; they are
circular, about dinner-plate sized, all the grass has completely died
and disappeared in the middle and around the circumference the blades of
grass are all flat down and pointingt to the centre of the circle. Looks
almost like a crop-circle phenomenon... In one case, the centre of the
whole coincides with the hole where our rotary washing line stands -
don't know if that's relevant?

It's very different to the 'scorch marks' left by dog urine - I know all
about that too :-( Has to be said this is a very grotty, unloved,
poorly drained and moss-infested lawn.

Any ideas?

Thanks
David
Old 13-09-2009, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Lobster" wrote in message
Several wierd patches have developed on my lawn this year; they are
circular, about dinner-plate sized, all the grass has completely died and
disappeared in the middle and around the circumference the blades of grass
are all flat down and pointingt to the centre of the circle. Looks almost
like a crop-circle phenomenon... In one case, the centre of the whole
coincides with the hole where our rotary washing line stands - don't know
if that's relevant?

It's very different to the 'scorch marks' left by dog urine - I know all
about that too :-( Has to be said this is a very grotty, unloved, poorly
drained and moss-infested lawn.

Any ideas?

Thanks
David

Dig it up and plant spuds? ;-)

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 13-09-2009, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Do they resemble the fusarium patch: http://tinyurl.com/q8of3b

Old 13-09-2009, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Lobster" wrote in message
Several wierd patches have developed on my lawn this year; they are
circular, about dinner-plate sized, all the grass has completely died and
disappeared in the middle and around the circumference the blades of grass
are all flat down and pointingt to the centre of the circle. Looks almost
like a crop-circle phenomenon... In one case, the centre of the whole
coincides with the hole where our rotary washing line stands - don't know
if that's relevant?

It's very different to the 'scorch marks' left by dog urine - I know all
about that too :-( Has to be said this is a very grotty, unloved, poorly
drained and moss-infested lawn.

A pic might assist, but it does sound like fusarium.
Watch the circles, if they get larger diametrically then deffo fungus.

Old 13-09-2009, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bud Bud is offline

Lobster wrote:

It's very different to the 'scorch marks' left by dog urine - I know all
about that too :-( Has to be said this is a very grotty, unloved,
poorly drained and moss-infested lawn.

Any ideas?

Thanks
David

You ha e got a fungus under the soil eating your roots. Forget ehat is is
called. Treat with sulfur?
--
signature goes here

Old 15-09-2009, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , R
writes

"Lobster" wrote in message
Several wierd patches have developed on my lawn this year; they are
circular, about dinner-plate sized, all the grass has completely died and
disappeared in the middle and around the circumference the blades of grass
are all flat down and pointingt to the centre of the circle. Looks almost
like a crop-circle phenomenon... In one case, the centre of the whole
coincides with the hole where our rotary washing line stands - don't know
if that's relevant?

It's very different to the 'scorch marks' left by dog urine - I know all
about that too :-( Has to be said this is a very grotty, unloved, poorly
drained and moss-infested lawn.

A pic might assist, but it does sound like fusarium.
Watch the circles, if they get larger diametrically then deffo fungus.

Is the grass around the circumference very green? Have you had a ring
of toadstools? If so sounds like Fairy Rings which is a fungus growing
under the surface and which starves the grass roots of water. Only
effective cure I know of is to penetrate the surface with a fork
(starting at the outer edge and working inwards). Then soak with soapy
water. Repeat daily. This destroys the impervious membrane and the grass
will recover.
--
hugh

Help to rejuvenate my poorly lawn Broadback[_3_] United Kingdom 4 27-01-2014 09:33 AM
Fatsia Japonica looking very poorly Drakanthus United Kingdom 5 13-06-2003 05:56 PM
poorly Ceanothus proteus Gardening 2 31-05-2003 04:44 PM
wisteria poorly minerva nine Texas 5 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
Poorly Lemon tree sparky United Kingdom 7 13-12-2002 10:32 AM