Old 26-09-2009, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default dead cat update

In message , Alan
writes
In message , Sacha
wrote
On 2009-09-26 15:12:10 +0100, Alan said:

In message , Sacha
wrote

Your nom de net is well chosen. Poison is a filthy way to express
your 'exasperation' with an animal.
Judging by the antisocial attitude of some cat owners who post on
this group it doesn't come as any surprise to me that the only
resort left to those who are fed up with uncontrolled stray "pets"
is poisoning.

I've never once seen an antisocial attitude by cat owners and I've
been here about 10 years.

I'm sure that you've read more the posts where cat owners believe they
don't need to stop _their pets_ s***ing in other people's gardens.
Isn't that antisocial attitude to the problem?

Nope it's pragmatic. Cats decide for themselves where to shit and
generally prefer not to do it on their own patch.
Too many people believe that if they own a cat they are not responsible
for the actions of their pet.

Which is legally correct. A cat is a "non controllable" animal unlike
for example a dog or a goat.

Often they suggest that the 'victim' of the problem spend money
preventing their animals causing damage or a nuisance.

Complaining about a dead cat when the owners cannot be bothered to stop
them roaming smacks very much double standards. It is the owner who is
responsible for keeping their pets out of harms way and not the
responsibility of everyone else to look after the safety of their
animals.

It is an offence to deliberately injure any animal and (although I am
not an expert on this) I believe the laying of poison is strictly
limited if not entirely illegal.

For the record we have a Maine Coon and we have spent a considerable
amount making the garden boundary cat proof to try to keep it in. At the
moment the score is about 4-3 to the cat.
--
hugh

Old 27-09-2009, 12:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Yellow" wrote in message
Bob Hobden ] said:

"Kathy" wrote...
Gosh, I put that badly!

It seems Millie was not the only casualty. The vet has put me in touch
with a bod from a government investigation unit, who informs me that a
near neighbour has also lost a cat to the same symptoms, and that they
are
investigating. They were not the only cats to die apparently.

He asked a lot of questions, and from this he is beginning to think
that a
recent influx of moles may be a factor. Someone may be poisoning the
moles, and the cats are catching and eating them. We should know more
in
two weeks when the results of the tests on one of the other dead cats
are
back.

Meanwhile, I am having to keep my other cat indoors. Suzie is quarter
Siamese, she seems to have inherited the vocal chords and the attitude,
and boy, is she letting me know about it!

Just over two months ago one of our cats, the one that lives mostly
outside,
came home rather poorly and then spent 4 days at the Vets on a drip, no
idea
what caused it. Then a week later a neighbour found an otherwise healthy
looking fox dying in her garden. We suspect some nasty person put out
some
poison.

Change "nasty" to "exasperated and at the end of their tether" and you
might well be on the ball, unless you truly believe that people who
resort to poisoning do so for the pleasure of it. But when it is your
animal that has pushed a neighbour to this behaviour I suppose it is
easier for the conscience to consider them simply 'nasty' and you and
your "pet" free of any contribution whatsoever.

Millie took a week and a half to die. The prat [I use that term rather than
*******, as we are still hoping it was accidental] that left the poison
around for her and, it now seems, a number of other pets, to find did not
use anything recognisable. If you think putting a domestic pet - not a
rodent - through that is justified then you are not a neighbour I would wish
for.
Then again, as you haven't got the guts to post under your own name, you
aren't worth knowing anyway.

--
Kathy
A person who doesn't like cats must have been a mouse in a previous life.

Old 27-09-2009, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Kathy
wrote

Millie took a week and a half to die. The prat [I use that term rather than
*******, as we are still hoping it was accidental] that left the poison
around for her and, it now seems, a number of other pets, to find did not
use anything recognisable. If you think putting a domestic pet - not a
rodent - through that is justified then you are not a neighbour I would wish
for.
Then again, as you haven't got the guts to post under your own name, you
aren't worth knowing anyway.

This is the point I 've been making about double standards! A pet owner
blaming others for their own irresponsible behaviour in not keeping
their pet under control - and then coming to news groups for sympathy.

While it may be a "pet" whilst on your property it often is a pest, and
no different to a rodent, when it roams and is a _constant_ nuisance on
other peoples property.

Why are you so surprised when you cannot be bothered to look after your
animal that it has come to harm?

--
Alan
Old 27-09-2009, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
In message , Kathy
wrote

[...]

Give it a rest, the law is quite clear a cats owner is not responsible
for what the cat does.
Indeed you may be shocked to discover that a farmer is not obliged to
keep his animals off your land, that is your responsibility to maintain
the boundry (except the highways where they do have a responsibility to
prevent stock from wandering)

A completly different set of laws says it is illegal to cause harm or
suffering to any animals. a further set of laws says that you may not
cause harm or disturbance to wild animals without a licence, the
exceptions being those animals designated vermine.

should you dissagree with the laws in this country then use your vote to
change them, if you find that you are in the minority and you can not get
them changed either move or shut up about it.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 27-09-2009, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Charlie
Pridham wrote

Give it a rest, the law is quite clear a cats owner is not responsible
for what the cat does.
Indeed you may be shocked to discover that a farmer is not obliged to
keep his animals off your land, that is your responsibility to maintain
the boundry (except the highways where they do have a responsibility to
prevent stock from wandering)

A completly different set of laws says it is illegal to cause harm or
suffering to any animals. a further set of laws says that you may not
cause harm or disturbance to wild animals without a licence, the
exceptions being those animals designated vermine.

And yet again another post defending the antisocial behaviour of cat
owners.

As there is no legal way of stopping the problem then is it not
unreasonable for others who do not share this view to perhaps act in an
illegal way when they get fed up with other peoples pets constantly
s*****g in their gardens?

should you dissagree with the laws in this country then use your vote to
change them, if you find that you are in the minority and you can not get
them changed either move or shut up about it.

In reality people use their vote for more important things.

If someone wants to deliberately poison the local cat population then
they are very unlikely to ever be caught. The Police don't even respond
to more serious crimes and the local authority hasn't got the money to
waste on pointless investigation.
--
Alan

Old 27-09-2009, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-27 10:23:00 +0100, Charlie Pridham
said:

In article ,
says...
In message , Kathy
wrote

[...]

Hooray for you, Charlie - all very well said.
--
Sacha

Old 27-09-2009, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Charlie Pridham contains these words:

Give it a rest,

Its an ancient and well worn-troll topic; only supported by those
posters who swallow the toxic bait.

Janet
Old 27-09-2009, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Baraclough
wrote
The message
from Charlie Pridham contains these words:

Give it a rest,

Its an ancient and well worn-troll topic; only supported by those
posters who swallow the toxic bait.

Why do dismiss the views of others so lightly?

It appears that those who believe cats do no harm are welcomed and their
views are accepted in this group whereas others who have different views
are trolls. Someone who objects to other peoples cats is the neighbour
from hell whereas the antisocial owners that are fully prepared to let
their cats shit in other peoples gardens are upstanding citizens.

If someone is gardening enthusiast and chooses not to _OWN_ a cat then
the neighbourhood cats can do a lot of damage, especially in the
planting season when every prepared seed bed becomes a litter tray. In
the urban environment where I live the problem is not confined to one or
two animals but many dozens of cats that are let out to roam.

I can fully understand the frustration that makes people resort to
drastic measures to stop the problems. If cat owners were more
responsible and more of them realised that their pets were not
environmentally friendly they may consider not owning them in the first
place.

--
Alan
Old 27-09-2009, 11:57 PM
Registered User

All this fuss about cats. What about all the other creatures that use the soil? Foxes, badgers, deer, moles, mice, rats, birds, micro-organisms - on the arguments given, then all these should be equally treated as pests and dealt with.

If you don't want cats to make use of nicely prepared loos, then make sure your ground is not to their liking. Grow things all over it.
Old 28-09-2009, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , beccabunga
wrote

If you don't want cats to make use of nicely prepared loos, then make
sure your ground is not to their liking. Grow things all over it.

And I suppose you advice for stopping the problem of neighbour playing
loud music 24 hours a day would be to buy some ear plugs?

--
Alan

Old 28-09-2009, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , beccabunga
wrote

If you don't want cats to make use of nicely prepared loos,
then make
sure your ground is not to their liking. Grow things all over
it.

And I suppose you advice for stopping the problem of neighbour
playing loud music 24 hours a day would be to buy some ear
plugs?

Talking of cats http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eht-kEzq88w

Watch where this loving feline bites the handler !!!!

Mike

Old 28-09-2009, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 18:12:03 +0100, Muddymike wrote
(in article ):

snip

Talking of cats http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eht-kEzq88w

Watch where this loving feline bites the handler !!!!

That made my day, Mike!

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through uk.rec.gardening

Old 29-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Registered User

That's what I had to do. It took six months before their landlord discovered and threw them out. Better than have them smash the windows as they did to my neighbour.