Old 24-09-2009, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default dead cat update

Gosh, I put that badly!

It seems Millie was not the only casualty. The vet has put me in touch with
a bod from a government investigation unit, who informs me that a near
neighbour has also lost a cat to the same symptoms, and that they are
investigating. They were not the only cats to die apparently.

He asked a lot of questions, and from this he is beginning to think that a
recent influx of moles may be a factor. Someone may be poisoning the moles,
and the cats are catching and eating them. We should know more in two weeks
when the results of the tests on one of the other dead cats are back.

Meanwhile, I am having to keep my other cat indoors. Suzie is quarter
Siamese, she seems to have inherited the vocal chords and the attitude, and
boy, is she letting me know about it!

--
Kathy
A person who doesn't like cats must have been a mouse in a previous life.

Old 25-09-2009, 08:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kathy" wrote...
Gosh, I put that badly!

It seems Millie was not the only casualty. The vet has put me in touch
with a bod from a government investigation unit, who informs me that a
near neighbour has also lost a cat to the same symptoms, and that they are
investigating. They were not the only cats to die apparently.

He asked a lot of questions, and from this he is beginning to think that a
recent influx of moles may be a factor. Someone may be poisoning the
moles, and the cats are catching and eating them. We should know more in
two weeks when the results of the tests on one of the other dead cats are
back.

Meanwhile, I am having to keep my other cat indoors. Suzie is quarter
Siamese, she seems to have inherited the vocal chords and the attitude,
and boy, is she letting me know about it!

Just over two months ago one of our cats, the one that lives mostly outside,
came home rather poorly and then spent 4 days at the Vets on a drip, no idea
what caused it. Then a week later a neighbour found an otherwise healthy
looking fox dying in her garden. We suspect some nasty person put out some
poison.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 26-09-2009, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden ] said:

[...]

Change "nasty" to "exasperated and at the end of their tether" and you
might well be on the ball, unless you truly believe that people who
resort to poisoning do so for the pleasure of it. But when it is your
animal that has pushed a neighbour to this behaviour I suppose it is
easier for the conscience to consider them simply 'nasty' and you and
your "pet" free of any contribution whatsoever.
Old 26-09-2009, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-26 13:13:52 +0100, Yellow said:

Bob Hobden ] said:

[...]

Your nom de net is well chosen. Poison is a filthy way to express your
'exasperation' with an animal.
--
Sacha

Old 26-09-2009, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
wrote

Your nom de net is well chosen. Poison is a filthy way to express your
'exasperation' with an animal.

Judging by the antisocial attitude of some cat owners who post on this
group it doesn't come as any surprise to me that the only resort left to
those who are fed up with uncontrolled stray "pets" is poisoning.

--
Alan

Old 26-09-2009, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Yellow" wrote...
Bob Hobden said:
[...]

"exasperated and at the end of their tether" Why would anyone be such with
an animal that has every right to be there? You just have to grow up and to
learn to live with it. A bit of cat poo isn't too bad, digging and
scratching can be a nuisance from foxes it's true, but mice/rats/rabbits are
a lot worse believe me.

Anyone that resorts to such things deserves all they get, there can be no
excuse for such cruelty and it's illegal too.

There are a myriad ways of trying to sort out such a problem before you
consider such an inhumane way to rid yourself of the nuisance an animal is
causing, talk to the owner, the RSPCA, the Cats Protection League, Local
Council ......

God forbid you got noisy selfish neighbours, we would be reading about it in
the press.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 26-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Change "nasty" to "exasperated and at the end of their tether" and you
might well be on the ball, unless you truly believe that people who
resort to poisoning do so for the pleasure of it. But when it is your
animal that has pushed a neighbour to this behaviour I suppose it is
easier for the conscience to consider them simply 'nasty' and you and
your "pet" free of any contribution whatsoever.
So, according to you, I'm justified in poisoning a nasty neighbour just because I'm fed up with his behavour?
Old 26-09-2009, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-26 15:12:10 +0100, Alan said:

In message , Sacha
wrote

Your nom de net is well chosen. Poison is a filthy way to express your
'exasperation' with an animal.

Judging by the antisocial attitude of some cat owners who post on this
group it doesn't come as any surprise to me that the only resort left
to those who are fed up with uncontrolled stray "pets" is poisoning.

I've never once seen an antisocial attitude by cat owners and I've been
here about 10 years.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-09-2009, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
On 2009-09-26 15:12:10 +0100, Alan said:

Your nom de net is well chosen. Poison is a filthy way to express your
'exasperation' with an animal.

Judging by the antisocial attitude of some cat owners who post on this
group it doesn't come as any surprise to me that the only resort left
to those who are fed up with uncontrolled stray "pets" is poisoning.

I've never once seen an antisocial attitude by cat owners and I've been
here about 10 years.

I have. But I am not going to support the poisoning of cats out of
mere exasperation.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-09-2009, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
wrote
On 2009-09-26 15:12:10 +0100, Alan said:

In message , Sacha
wrote

Your nom de net is well chosen. Poison is a filthy way to express
your 'exasperation' with an animal.

Judging by the antisocial attitude of some cat owners who post on
this group it doesn't come as any surprise to me that the only resort
left to those who are fed up with uncontrolled stray "pets" is poisoning.

I've never once seen an antisocial attitude by cat owners and I've been
here about 10 years.

I'm sure that you've read more the posts where cat owners believe they
don't need to stop _their pets_ s***ing in other people's gardens. Isn't
that antisocial attitude to the problem?

Too many people believe that if they own a cat they are not responsible
for the actions of their pet. Often they suggest that the 'victim' of
the problem spend money preventing their animals causing damage or a
nuisance.

Complaining about a dead cat when the owners cannot be bothered to stop
them roaming smacks very much double standards. It is the owner who is
responsible for keeping their pets out of harms way and not the
responsibility of everyone else to look after the safety of their
animals.

--
Alan
Old 26-09-2009, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
On 2009-09-26 15:12:10 +0100, Alan said:

Your nom de net is well chosen. Poison is a filthy way to express your
'exasperation' with an animal.

Judging by the antisocial attitude of some cat owners who post on this
group it doesn't come as any surprise to me that the only resort left
to those who are fed up with uncontrolled stray "pets" is poisoning.

I've never once seen an antisocial attitude by cat owners and I've been
here about 10 years.

I have. But I am not going to support the poisoning of cats out of
mere exasperation.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

As in anti-social, I'm thinking of people who actively encourage their
cats to use other peoples' gardens as loos or otherwise make a nuisance
of themselves. Cats by their nature, roam. While I do think that for
the sake of the bird population, I would restrict the number of cats
it's 'sensible' to own, the thought of poisoning an animal because it's
a nuisance is appalling.

We have a dog nearby that has barked non-stop during daylight hours for several
years. I have seriously considered strangling it or it's selfish owner with my
bare hands. )

Our cats have all been too lazy to use the neighbours' gardens.

I don't know what the laws are in Holland but here Environmental Health
will get involved with that kind of nuisance. In a previous house I
had a dotty neighbour who used to shut her dogs out at around 4am so
that they'd bark to get in and thus annoy all her neighbours in a
smallish part of the village. And - total non sequitur, there's a hot
air balloon heading this way - wonderful sight!

--
Sacha

Old 26-09-2009, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
wrote
On 2009-09-26 15:12:10 +0100, Alan said:

In message , Sacha
wrote

Your nom de net is well chosen. Poison is a filthy way to express your
'exasperation' with an animal.
Judging by the antisocial attitude of some cat owners who post on this
group it doesn't come as any surprise to me that the only resort left
to those who are fed up with uncontrolled stray "pets" is poisoning.

I've never once seen an antisocial attitude by cat owners and I've been
here about 10 years.

I'm sure that you've read more the posts where cat owners believe they
don't need to stop _their pets_ s***ing in other people's gardens.
Isn't that antisocial attitude to the problem?

Actually, I don't recall any such posts. I DO recall posts in which
people have said it's impossible to stop cats doing this.

Too many people believe that if they own a cat they are not responsible
for the actions of their pet. Often they suggest that the 'victim' of
the problem spend money preventing their animals causing damage or a
nuisance.

Complaining about a dead cat when the owners cannot be bothered to stop
them roaming smacks very much double standards. It is the owner who is
responsible for keeping their pets out of harms way and not the
responsibility of everyone else to look after the safety of their
animals.

You are incorrect. It is illegal to cause unnecessary suffering to an
animal. Putting down poison to harm animals, other than by licensed
operators e.g. those dealing with rats and mice, is illegal. Cats are
deemed to be beyond the control of their owners in the sense that they
cannot be confined to one area alone. We don't have cats and wouldn't
because of the importance of birdlife to us on every level. But
nothing will persuade me that poisoning cats is in any way acceptable.

Old 26-09-2009, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
wrote

Putting down poison to harm animals, other than by licensed operators

e.g. those dealing with rats and mice, is illegal.

Are you sure of that? How many people on this group kill pests on a
regular basis using chemical means and poisons? I'm sure that everyone
on here spent a fortune on humane ways of discouraging snails and slugs.

You can buy poison bait for rats and mice in most hardware stores and
many garden centres. The shop does not ask for prove of identity when
purchasing.

Cats are deemed to be beyond the control of their owners in the sense
that they cannot be confined to one area alone.

It's this type of misinformation that causes the problem in the first
place. If irresponsible cat owners believe that their pets cannot be
confined then others should have the option of dealing with the problem
in any way that stops it.

We don't have cats and wouldn't because of the importance of birdlife
to us on every level. But nothing will persuade me that poisoning cats
is in any way acceptable.

If is deemed suitable for other pests then why not for cats? I suppose
to keep within the law someone putting down baited food for rats or mice
could put up a sign in his own property warning the owners of cats not
to let them on the property.

With milder winters and an increase of the rodent population it will
become more likely that a cat owner who doesn't bother controlling
their pet will find that they have eaten something previously poisoned.

--
Alan

Old 26-09-2009, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
And - total non sequitur, there's a hot air balloon heading this way -
wonderful sight!

Aah, what anti-social people. They will cause my dog to bark. Perhaps in
my exasperation I will take a pot shot at it (the balloon not the dog)
with my 12-bore.
--
hugh