Old 29-09-2009, 06:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Spotted on UK d-i-y

Might be of interest to some here?

"Decided to make an electric slug fence yesterday, after my new
autumn crocus shoots got eaten for the second night in a row.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1619546457
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1619546457

No slug damage this morning!

-- Andrew Gabriel [email address is not usable -- followup in the
newsgroup] "

A well thought out and executed solution IMHO.

Bob
Old 29-09-2009, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Minchin dangling via a dongle" wrote in
message ...
Might be of interest to some here?

"Decided to make an electric slug fence yesterday, after my new
autumn crocus shoots got eaten for the second night in a row.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1619546457
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1619546457

No slug damage this morning!

A well thought out and executed solution IMHO.

But can you pee on it?

Tim W

Old 29-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Very nice but no good to us without the circuit diagram so we can make one as well.
Old 29-09-2009, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Granity wrote:[color=blue][i]
'Ophelia[_4_ Wrote:
;865879']"Tim W" wrote in message
om...-

"Bob Minchin dangling via a dongle"
wrote in
message ...
Might be of interest to some here?

"Decided to make an electric slug fence yesterday, after my new
autumn crocus shoots got eaten for the second night in a row.

http://tinyurl.com/yah6g95
http://tinyurl.com/y9wgumz

No slug damage this morning!

A well thought out and executed solution IMHO.
-

Very nice but no good to us without the circuit diagram so we can make
one as well.

My thoughts too. Also sourcing the capping.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 29-09-2009, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 19:53:54 +0100, Granity wrote:

Very nice but no good to us without the circuit diagram so we can make
one as well.

Circuit diagram! It's not complicated... ah you've not seen the
original thread over in uk.d-i-y... earth stake battery resistor
led capping.

The capping can be bought from any electrical wholesalers.

begin
In article ,
Colin Wilson
o.uk writes:
Decided to make an electric slug fence yesterday, after my new
autumn crocus shoots got eaten for the second night in a row.
No slug damage this morning!

Hehehehe how are you powering it, can't quite tell from the pics

PP3 (9V) battery, in series with a 470 ohm resistor and a high
efficiency LED (plus the earth rod resistance). The LED lights
to tell you there's some leakage current (high efficiency one
means you can see even fraction of a milliamp leakage at night).
It flashes quite brightly when a slug touches the contact.
Given the dramatic effect on a couple of slugs and a snail
which I saw approch it last night, I suspect a much lower
voltage would work fine too. It's probably not safe to use
such a scheme if you have livestock nearby, due to their
vulnerability to very low earth leakages.

Construction is 25mm PVC conduit with 12mm galvamised capping
screwed to the top. The profile of the capping is perfect for
rain water shedding from the top. I tried a deluge from a
watering can rose, and even that didn't cause the LED to light.
Just touching the rail whilst kneeling on the ground generates
enough current to light the LED though. Water droplets bead on
the surface of the PVC, so it won't conduct. It might be that
it needs lifting and wiping clean occasionally to maintain this,
but I haven't had it deployed for long enough to know yet.
Ground needs to be very level. I filled in a couple of dips
under the fence with some old building sand. A couple of tiny
slugs appeared inside the area, presumably sleeping inside the
fence when it was positioned. After removal, no more were seen
inside. I'll keep an eye out over the next few nights. Can
easily test the battery just by touching the rail and ground
with a hand. Operation probably requires that the area stays
damp, but a) that's needed for the plants anyway, and b) slugs
don't tend come out when the ground is very dry.

--
Andrew Gabriel

end
--